Why the constant dishonesty?

Much better than what OP said, especially since they provided no link to a source for their claim.

This is a troubling point that you raise. The time difference between them putting Odyssey for pre-order and saying that it was coming early 2021 only for a month later to say its going to be longer.

I suppose it all depends on how much you are willing to be flexible over what they meant by early 2021 and the revised early spring.

On the one hand, if you took it to mean Jan/Feb and are skeptical about early spring being March/April, then yeah, that's not going to sit well.

I was a bit skeptical about the early 2021 statement anyway, so to hear it might be April or later is no shock for me. But someone who bought the alpha expecting earlier... yeah.

The good thing is, anyone who is disgruntled with this news, at least if they are on steam, can cancel their order and rebuy later.

On the other hand, if they are want to take part in the alpha anyway, then they might as well hang onto it.

PS: Never buy anything on preorder unless you know full well the risk is on you, not the publisher. The reason devs do preorders is because people buy them. If you buy preorders then complain, well, sorry, you're part of the problem, you're fuelling it, and i bet that despite some people getting annoyed with the delay will rush out and preorder the next thing that catches their fancy.
I'm not tired repeating it:
Stop preordering digital content.

It is a tough decision, for sure.
I pre-ordered as I had disposable funds over the two months that I could 'afford to waste' on 'cake tomorrow'.

There is no guarantee that when Odyssey releases that I'd be sure of having sufficient excess to buy, (after all things can, and do, go awry in life!) so paying 'up front' with money that would otherwise likely just be used for take-aways or Christmas excesses made some sense.

In general I agree, there's zero point in doing it. If there is an incentive in the form of special benefits however, then that's different depending on how badly you need those special benefits. I'm looking forwards to alpha access, the soundtrack and the pioneer suit. As well as the opportunity to support the game with an extra tenner. Not support the company itself, but people need to show an interest in Elite for FD to continue to bother developing it.

Would be funny if that scenario actually happened though. People got mad enough to cancel a preorder so they can preorder again later, closer to release date. People do things without having a clue why they're doing it.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Much better than what OP said, especially since they provided no link to a source for their claim.

This is a troubling point that you raise. The time difference between them putting Odyssey for pre-order and saying that it was coming early 2021 only for a month later to say its going to be longer.

I suppose it all depends on how much you are willing to be flexible over what they meant by early 2021 and the revised early spring.

On the one hand, if you took it to mean Jan/Feb and are skeptical about early spring being March/April, then yeah, that's not going to sit well.

I was a bit skeptical about the early 2021 statement anyway, so to hear it might be April or later is no shock for me. But someone who bought the alpha expecting earlier... yeah.

The good thing is, anyone who is disgruntled with this news, at least if they are on steam, can cancel their order and rebuy later.

On the other hand, if they are want to take part in the alpha anyway, then they might as well hang onto it.
That would also depend on if you think that the initial release date of early 2021 was for Alpha or the game. It was the game, because they were advertising Odyssey as coming Early 2021. Odyssey is now releasing late Spring/mid 2021. At the moment. Only on PC.

Early to me was up to April. Early/Middle/Late splits the year into three equal parts of four months each. So it's now been delayed by a minimum of another two months, on top of the potential 4 month delay we already had.

But then you also have the fact that David Braben said after the first announcement of the delay that it was a matter of days, not weeks. So by Early 2021 you could easily see why people would have been expecting it in early January.

Then in his announcement to the market the other day he said " Our plan for PlayStation and Xbox is to submit console versions for approval as soon as possible after we have released on PC," And yet the release for them is Autumn 2021 which isn't until at least 3 1/2 months after the latest possible point Odyssey can be released if they keep it in FY 21. That's a looong certification process.

I didn't pre order it on my second account, because I don't pre-order games until the day before release to get the bonus stuff :)

But customers preordering something isn't relevant to whether or not they were deceived into doing so.

It would have been much worse had they been able to take pre-orders for console players at the same time, given the recent announcement.
Yes it would. And now you can see exactly why they didn't, and why they refused to answer any questions on it. Because they knew it couldn't release at the same time if they didn't want to entirely miss the FY21 deadline they had put on themselves.

Last edited:
It is a tough decision, for sure.
I pre-ordered as I had disposable funds over the two months that I could 'afford to waste' on 'cake tomorrow'.

There is no guarantee that when Odyssey releases that I'd be sure of having sufficient excess to buy, (after all things can, and do, go awry in life!) so paying 'up front' with money that would otherwise likely just be used for take-aways or Christmas excesses made some sense.
It doesn't. Investing your disposable money now for decent return makes sense. Handing out interest-free loans to corpos doesn't.

But customers preordering something isn't relevant to whether or not they were deceived into doing so.
It isn't? Well, you can deceive me without me handing you money over, but it won't hurt me and there is no material gain for you. But if I give you money with little accountability what I get for it - guess what happens.
Give your money for free and get treated like a cheap piece of crap. Don't do it and you'll maybe see an increase in your (aka customer) net worth.

However, last year David B gave an interview to BBC or some other British morning show where he said ODY is ready and they could have released it at the end of 2020 but chose not to due to the holidays. If that's even remotely true, then why ODY alpha was delayed? If the game is "ready" then at least we should have gotten an Alpha to start testing...
Clearly there is no way David didn't know the game wasn't ready for another 6 months when he gave that interview, but chose to ignore that fact , maybe to avoid a backlash from investors?? idk
Personally I don't trust David Braben. I'm not saying he is a con artist, but he definitely reminds me of the stereotypical used car salesman.

Early to me was up to April. Early/Middle/Late splits the year into three equal parts of four months each. So it's now been delayed by a minimum of another two months, on top of the potential 4 month delay we already had.
Odyssey is still scheduled to release on PC in FY2021 which ends 31st May, therefore it has been delayed an extra month not two (seeing as May is the month immediately after April).

Normally I would agree with you on this these days, but with Odyssey I already know 99.9% that I will buy it, so I could pre-order it.

But then, Frontier aren't really giving me much of an incentive to do so (a single suit skin is not sufficient, even less so without even being able to see what it looks like) so I will simply buy it at launch. It's not like they're going to run out of stock.

I don't think so. If it is a flat charge it's for the current month. Recurring service fees isn't really upfront payment for one time purchases with uncertain delivery date, though.
In the UK we pay for our Telephone / Broadband service in advance, yes it is a flat fee, but it is still a payment in 'good faith' that it will be delivered... Lining the pockets of a multi-billion corporation. Same with mobile phones (unless 'pay-as-you-go' is chosen) money upfront on a promise...

So for me opting to pay, in advance, for something - at a time when the money is disposable and unlikely to 'earn' worthwhile interest - makes sense enough to not feel any less 'cheated' than paying a utility in advance for a service they may not deliver.

Normally I would agree with you on this these days, but with Odyssey I already know 99.9% that I will buy it, so I could pre-order it.

But then, Frontier aren't really giving me much of an incentive to do so (a single suit skin is not sufficient, even less so without even being able to see what it looks like) so I will simply buy it at launch. It's not like they're going to run out of stock.
Yeah. That's how to do it. If you really see some great bonus for the pre-order, take it if you think that's worth disposing der cash early. I'd prefer some gameplay over cosmetics, but you can't have everything.

In the UK we pay for our Telephone / Broadband service in advance, yes it is a flat fee, but it is still a payment in 'good faith' that it will be delivered... Lining the pockets of a multi-billion corporation. Same with mobile phones (unless 'pay-as-you-go' is chosen) money upfront on a promise...

So for me opting to pay, in advance, for something - at a time when the money is disposable and unlikely to 'earn' worthwhile interest - makes sense enough to not feel any less 'cheated' than paying a utility in advance for a service they may not deliver.
But you don't pay advance for half a year, no? Just for next month?

Top Bottom