Why the constant dishonesty?

Let me be clear - I am not mad that ODY got delayed. At this point it is very much expected given the global situation (and UK being in a complete lockdown). safety is #1 priority.
However, last year David B gave an interview to BBC or some other British morning show where he said ODY is ready and they could have released it at the end of 2020 but chose not to due to the holidays. If that's even remotely true, then why ODY alpha was delayed? If the game is "ready" then at least we should have gotten an Alpha to start testing...
Clearly there is no way David didn't know the game wasn't ready for another 6 months when he gave that interview, but chose to ignore that fact , maybe to avoid a backlash from investors?? idk

I am pretty sure the cyberpunk disaster has influenced FDev decision... oh well.

Let me be clear - I am not mad that ODY got delayed. At this point it is very much expected given the global situation (and UK being in a complete lockdown). safety is #1 priority.
However, last year David B gave an interview to BBC or some other British morning show where he said ODY is ready and they could have released it at the end of 2020 but chose not to due to the holidays. If that's even remotely true, then why ODY alpha was delayed? If the game is "ready" then at least we should have gotten an Alpha to start testing...
Clearly there is no way David didn't know the game wasn't ready for another 6 months when he gave that interview, but chose to ignore that fact , maybe to avoid a backlash from investors?? idk

I am pretty sure the cyberpunk disaster has influenced FDev decision... oh well.
Got a link to that interview? I have to say, I've never heard of him saying anything like that.

May I draw your attention to the new lockdown that was put into place in December in the UK and that will last for months more? That will effectively hamper any development that usually would go better if people had access to their workplaces with a complete set of equipment, instead of working from home with all the distractions and less-than-optimal conditions such things bring.

Welcome to the corporate world - you need to keep the general public/shareholders always pleased so the PR releases of a company will always have a positive spin.

I don't consider it dishonest to us that are players and are more knowledgeable about the situation. You could see this coming - new year arrived without an alpha date, console not even having a confirmation on whether they would have an alpha or not, the broad "early 2021" timeframe was still in place, plus the UK lockdown once again hitting hard.

Just don't think too much about it. I'd rather them release it because they feel it's ready, rather than due to fiscal year income pressure - which I think is what drove them to delay the console release and focus on the PC one so they can ship something.

I'd like the DLC in my PC now too...

But, where is the dishonesty? Had we been given a release date of, say, 22nd January 2021, and were told it is going to be delayed at such short notice, then some ire would certainly be aimed their way! As it is, in truth, we have never had a release date, just vague suggestions.

I don't like it, to be sure, but until an actual date has been mentioned the DLC remains "due soon", and that piece of string is exactly what we have, and can do nothing to change.

Perhaps Frontier have found, when moving all of the modules into the engine that they aren't 'playing nice' or some other minor hiccup, all we can do is either be patient or frueitlessly complain. I know which I'm choosing.

A lot of clowns in a lot of games community take whatever a game dev as gospel and act out like children when the developer has to crush their hopes and dreams and hit them with some reality.
I've been playing games for a few years...

Desperately trying to remember the game that had a release date given and was pulled at the 11th hour because hackers had stolen the engine code and it essentially had to be re-written, with a subsequent huge delay... Worse is that I remember buying the darned thing but not its name!

Odyssey alpha will happen when it does and until 23:59:59 on 31st May passes it won't have been delayed... ;)

Top Bottom