Why i will NEVER play certain other space sims...

Why not ? They had fun. The game was good for them.

I hate all the assassin's creed. Lots of people like them. So, are they good games or not, well, according to me they aren't, according to others, they are.

Good games or bad games is very subjective. Not even the overall quality and lack of bugs is the deciding factor. I played some buggy indie games that were very fun, and played AAA game that I'd call "polished turd".
Those are games. "That other game" isn't a game but a scam with pretty textures.

Those are games. "That other game" isn't a game but a scam with pretty textures.
That's just like, your opinion, man.

Is is possible to play it ? Yes. Is there something to do in it ? Yes. Then it's a game.
You can perfectly debate on their monetization, the length of development, or expecting something else/more, but it's good enough for some people, and you should respect that.

I really enjoyed stellaris for a few months...but then suddenly got quite bored. I dunno why, it kinda surprised me because I love anything remotely RTS.

I think it's that, regardless of how you build the empire...for me, at least, it was difficult to see differences. I tended to build the same kind of fleets, employ the same strategies (because they work), and...well...get the same results.

Now, look, I appreciate that implies lack of imagination on my part. I've tried silly/crazy empires for the sake of trying...but, I dunno, maybe that's where Stellaris is more sim than RTS? That might be why I didn't stick. It's a fabulous title and I recommend it all the time, but it had surprisingly low staying power for me. That is my only complaint, and I dunno if that's even a worthy complaint.

Love NMS, but I only hop in for a few weeks after every update. It's easy to pick up wherever I left off and it's such a trippy experience. I couldn't make it a 'main game' after everything I've done in it, but it's always downloaded and ready to launch on those evenings I just want to chill out to lo-fi music and cruise gooberish looking planets.

Haven't played SC (no gaming PC these days), but I'd buy it in a heartbeat just to try the alpha. It looks like a blast.

Desperate for another Rebel Galaxy (the original, tall-ship combat style) and was disappointed with Rebel Galaxy Outlaw because it was, indeed, a copy of Freelancer...great music, some good one-liners, and very shallow gameplay.

Royally peeved that Homeworld 3 is being delayed for Homeworld Mobile...but I'll likely play the mobile version because I'm desperate.

Really want to play the most recent X games...but again, no PC.

Does Warframe count? I can't get back into it...too many new, unrelated systems...it's such a jumbled mess of ninja awesomeness, but so very hard to return to when you've been out of the loop for anything longer than a year.

I'm excited for Everspace 2, didn't care for the first as I'm not a huge rogue-like fan in general. I did enjoy it at least, story was nice and the gameplay was solid (for a rogue-like).

Need more space games. Always.
And Homeworld 3.

Which is gradually getting more hyped (in my head and heart) than even Half Life 3.

That's just like, your opinion, man.

Is is possible to play it ? Yes. Is there something to do in it ? Yes. Then it's a game.
You can perfectly debate on their monetization, the length of development, or expecting something else/more, but it's good enough for some people, and you should respect that.
It's pretty crap. Underedelivers on most promises. They are dishonest to the bone. They have no concept. It's overpriced. Doesn't work and crashes all the time. I don't respect that and no one should do so.

It's pretty crap.
Your opinion.
Underedelivers on most promises. They are dishonest to the bone. They have no concept.
Actual interesting arguments.
It's overpriced.
It's a beta. Ofc it's overpriced. I dunno how it works, if you pay specifically for the beta (which is bad), or for the full game and you get beta access (which is OK).
I don't respect that and no one should do so.
Opinions. I would agree it's a proper argument, if it would be a risk to set a precedent. For example, the horse armor DLC for oblivion, ages ago, which started the DLC thing we have today. Or the first lootbox. But I hardly doubt anybody can pull the monetization scheme of SC, without being someone like Chris Roberts with a cult like following.

Let people enjoy their game. You're free to your opinion, but don't act as it's the only one.

Ok, this will really blow OP's mind. But I've played around a thousand hours of Elite and I'm also a Star Citizen backer. GASP! Both games provide experiences that are unique and I think there's plenty of room for them to co-exist peacefully. In the end gamers having multiple choices in a given genre (space-sims) is nothing but a win and will ensure continued investment and development. Competition and friendly rivalry is healthy and should be celebrated.

Whether OP wants to admit it or not, SC is not a scam. Is it a mis-managed, over-ambitious mess? Totally. Is there a game in there with closed loops, fun experiences and gorgeous tech? Yes.

To prove it, here is a video I edited down from a 2 hour stream last year where I hunted down a ganker who had been dunking on new players at Port Olisar all night. The experience of methodically hunting this player down like a lion in the grass just waiting for the right moment when they were alone and unsuspecting was absolutely thrilling and the hyper-physicalized, granularity of the experience that SC provides is simply different from NMS, Elite, etc... Not better or worse... just different.

Source: https://youtu.be/BbT9wcRYtlo

[Edit:] I don't know why the youtube embedding isn't working. the link is very tiny :( Sorry...

Last edited:
certain Trolls here have been promoting their alpha for years here while trashing elite.

oh that thread.

yes I know what you mean, it will 'kill' ED when released, same was said about NMS & MSFS and probably others, each to their own. Judge a game on its merits, or lack of them in this case, not on a salty crowd still waiting to realise they got conned. But that thread is much more balanced these days and has some of the best memes and clips.

[Edit:] I don't know why the youtube embedding isn't working. the link is very tiny :( Sorry...

it will be working, your cookie settings will hide it is all (Necessary Only), the mini text is usually just shown under the vid but thats all we see to remind us we are not marketing targets and shame us into accepting all unnecessary cookies:)

Man, OP... you are wound up my friend.
Yes I am a Star Citizen fan and hopeful that the project will succeed. But I'm also a Lifetime pass holder for Elite. I'm a proud owner of all expansions and happy purchaser of ARX and many micro-transactions. I played the Odessey Alpha, enjoyed it and I'm very excited for the full release next week. I don't understand the blanket hostility toward SC players. There are a lot of Elite fans here that also have SC accounts and they aren't salty trolls. Lumping us all together will ensure you miss opportunities to interact with great CMDRs and other space-sim enthusiasts.

Too much pew pew once again and not enough exploration or being able to talk to the aliens.
Loved defender/Stargate

Won a video game championship on it at a amusement park called Knotts Berry farm in California when i was 17ish. Once played 10 hours on a single quarter and finally let all the extra ships die so i could go home.

Great game... fun times.

Yes I am a Star Citizen fan and hopeful that the project will succeed. But I'm also a Lifetime pass holder for Elite. I'm a proud owner of all expansions and happy purchaser of ARX and many micro-transactions. I played the Odessey Alpha, enjoyed it and I'm very excited for the full release next week. I don't understand the blanket hostility toward SC players. There are a lot of Elite fans here that also have SC accounts and they aren't salty trolls. Lumping us all together will ensure you miss opportunities to interact with great CMDRs and other space-sim enthusiasts.
Heck, even if one has some issues with a game that's still no reason to go mental on people who do like it. I don't play SC and for a myriad of reasons will not ever buy it. But if others do enjoy it: good for them.

If you and others would have read the post more carefully... its targeted SPECIFICALLY at the TROLLS and nobody else.

There are a number of people that have been on these forums and and a couple... only a few really... on Youtube... who have CLEAR MOTIVES in what they are doing.... Trash one... promote the other...

I do not go to THEIR forums and trash their game/alpha and promote Elite... it has no class, its wrong.
I do not make videos in the name of Elite and more often than not Trash it, while slipping in plugs for SC, no class.

Therefore..... NOT ONE PENNY FROM ME .... will ever go to their game... just a boycott.. i do it to other products and stores as well... its just me.... so take no personal offense if you like both games.

Last edited:
I agree with your general point OP. Trolls had long trashed the game and the development here. I'd say only the official feedback is useful for FDev to look at for those who actually take the time to point out issues or wishes without bias, and then able to priortize their resources responsibly unlike that predatory marketing driven sunkcost ponzi of SC. NMS's trolls are annoying too, but I chose not to play that feathered survival game disguised as a space sim with the same generic static starbox using clouds and debris art to disguise and distract from the static backdrop. I did play some of the X games because it featured a good space themed if localized economy and fleet management system of gameplay with some beautiful visuals, and Stellaris is of course still based off of the old "3x" abstracted fleet strategy game genre like the old MOOs.

ED's release and horizons was a great update of the last Elite game, went far beyond, and provided superb value for the cost. It's just that the whole of ED is based on a complex never done before scope, and they have the advantage of having created their Cobra engine and able to modify in-house as it gradually incorporates Odyssey and future game expanding ambitions.

Last edited:
This line is like saying if you like curry, you cannot also like pizza.
I suppose i could have worded that better...

"so keep outing yourselves SC fanboi's and ELITE HATING TROLLS"

no issue with people liking both... BIG ISSUE with perma trolls on the forum promoting theirs and trashing ours

Your opinion.

Actual interesting arguments.

It's a beta. Ofc it's overpriced. I dunno how it works, if you pay specifically for the beta (which is bad), or for the full game and you get beta access (which is OK).

Opinions. I would agree it's a proper argument, if it would be a risk to set a precedent. For example, the horse armor DLC for oblivion, ages ago, which started the DLC thing we have today. Or the first lootbox. But I hardly doubt anybody can pull the monetization scheme of SC, without being someone like Chris Roberts with a cult like following.

Let people enjoy their game. You're free to your opinion, but don't act as it's the only one.
I thought it was alpha. At least that's the sorry excuse apologists like to bring.

Its an 'early Alpha playable now' according to the CEO. But then he also says its MVP as it is and implies people should be grateful for that.

OP - people gonna hate on both games, and some people gonna like both, and some people will try and use one to justify another. Just take a step back and chill, they only win if they get to you. Both CEOs can see where the other game is at and make their own judgements. Youre passionate about ED, thats good and glad you enjoy it, me too, just keep the positive passion and get rid of the negative passion it wont do you any good in the long term.

Besides, theres a letter from the other CEO that basically says anybody trashing ED is foolish and not reflective of their values. So they just shouting into the wind, let them, its their energy they are wasting, dont waste yours.

Top Bottom