Why I and many others will rarely play open

I'd compare it to throwing over a chess set when your opponent gets the upper hand. Sure, you can do that, but it's not a very cool thing to do.
Especially when it takes about as much time as a high wake. To be perfectly honest, it’s probably just as quick to go via the rebuy screen so I always make sure I’m flying something I can afford to lose in Open 😂 but if I’m in Open to begin with (a rarity but it does happen) who am I to deny another player their sport? It’s why we’re both there!

I managed to get away from a Chieftan at Dav's Hope a while back. This was with my alt account, flying a multirole Cobra 3 (so SRV, scanners, limpets, cargo racks, and not filled to the brim with any reinforcements at all), mostly stock A/D rated with barely any engineering (some G2/3 thrusters and FSD improvements though, stuff you get from Farseer early on).

Since it was planet-side, 180 degrees of escape routes were blocked. I boosted towards him, went into silent running (to mess with his targetting if nothing else), popped a heat sink and managed to low wake out with 60% hull intact. Not all gankers are flying aces, and some fancy flying can make a difference - especially when you're low rank they don't always expect the latter.

Was I lucky? Sure, a little at least. Did I gain anything from flying in Open? In terms of in-game assets, nope - but you couldn't really put a price on that grin on my face afterwards.
Some don't give you much of a chance though. I've jumped into an enginnering system and been shot at right away after you jumped into the system. Not much time to respond or realise what was going on. That has happened 2 times to me, as soon as I jumped into the system

Some don't give you much of a chance though. I've jumped into an enginnering system and been shot at right away after you jumped into the system. Not much time to respond or realise what was going on. That has happened 2 times to me, as soon as I jumped into the system
In that case there is another option before switching to Solo, takes longer but can be fun - posted this in another thread (somewhat off-topic there):

Even I would struggle getting through to the landing pad unless I fly a sturdy ship, especially if it's more than one ganker present. And if you go to Deciat for engineering it's usually not at that stage yet.

Edit - as for the SC commute, you can try to avoid getting interdicted by flying into a different direction - select hollow triangles/squares, observe the direction they're flying at (are they coming after you? are they closing in?). You can either try to go the long way around (flying a wider loop into parts of the system where there's no planets so nothing to slow you down, they will never catch up with you and eventually give up chase). Or you can stop, point your ship towards them and keep them in your sight; they will never get behind you (watch out for other ships though, they might not be winged but they might work together regardless). You can play this game as long as one side gets tired of it. The radar screen is your ally here to avoid interdiction; once you get interdicted - if you don't have a fast and/or sturdy ship it's very hard to escape.

For the final approach towards your destination, you could intermittently drop out of SC, wait a little, go back into SC, drop out again etc. They will struggle to keep up with you and probably not bother as it's too much hassle unless they're really determined. Once you're in planetary orbit you can't get interdicted any longer, and can progress to the phase I mentioned above. Don't drop directly into the engineer base signal but a little bit off, otherwise they will see you when you drop in.

Last edited:
Gankers? Are you serious? As somebody who was once a member of B**N, but got out as soon as possible, let me tell you about how truly evil and depraved gankers are. During gankerTraining, we were forced to this chant before blowing up newbies: "If they're harmless, make them pennyless!" At deciat, we fired at both harmless targets and mostly harmless targets. Half the targets were unarmed, and half the targets we were supposed to shoot at were innocent AD players holding merits. We were supposed to shoot at any target, regardless of whether it was armed or unarmed, whether it was an elite or harmless. The only time in ganker Training we were allowed to watch OA was when the news showed reports of jnnocent traders being "accidentally killed" in mail slots. We were forced to scream "yes!" every time the news mentioned an innocent commander being killed. As soon as I saw how truly evil and depraved gankers were, I GOT OUT. I went straight to the leaders and told them I didn't want to be part of their federal terrorist organization. I told them that I REFUSED to kill innocent commanders, and take part in unjustified wars of aggression. The leaders responded by pinning me on deciat and shooting me with mining lasers for ten minutes straight. They told me that I wasn't leaving and that if I ever tried to speak up against their hate and bigotry again, they would murder me. I took matters into my own hands, and jumped to colonia at night while the gankers were asleep. I ran away from the system I was at, and have not returned to this day. Every Time any commanders expresses admiration for the gankers, I VOMIT. I was in for long enough to see that the federation is a ganker supremacist terrorist organization, just as bad as the 5'cers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been killed about 3 times in Open Play, and usually it's been in an Engineering system and somebody waiting until you jump into it.

I don't mind playing my fully engineered Cobra MKIII in open play, it only cost 800,000 (less than a million to get back) if killed. But my Corvette cost 50 million to get back if killed, so not keen on using that in Open Play. Said it before... if the makers of Elite want to see more people using Open Play - they should seriously rethink the rebuy cost of ships when killed. Paying 50 million to get a Corvette back is a lot of money when you don't do things in the game to earn big bucks fast like mining Void Opals or doing the CGs. I currently have 190 million in the bank, not billions like some, and hard earned through trade runs. So losing 50 million of that is huge chunk of money lost

I would like to use the Corvette more in Open Play.... but damn, 50 million re-buy cost? I think it should be about 10 million maximum for the best ships to re-buy them back if you want to see more people with them using Open Play. I could live with a 10 million re-buy, but 50 million. Na!
i doubt that rebuy costs have anything to do with it - in EVE there is no rebuy at all, one flies at full risk (the insurance is pointless for tech 2 ships, because just a fraction of the hull is paid for). About 50% of new players stop playing within 2 hours - because it isn't for them, not because they would have lost something, a newbie gets a free ship at any station. And 80% are gone within a week - it is not about costs, but about the fact, that there is pvp everywhere, what makes people leave, because it is just not for them.

A big thing for me, is the motivations behind the players that engage in PVP.

PVP, in and of itself, is not the problem.

The problem is those players who are purely doing it to upset other players. That's the difference between a PVP player and a 'Ganker' or 'Seal Clubber'. They aren't doing it for the thrill of the fight (if they are doing it 'properly' there is no fight, just <15 seconds of pew pewing against someone that doesn't stand a chance). They are doing it "for the salty tears".

In other games, I've toyed with such players, as my mates and I have much longer attention spans than most of them. In Red Dead Redemption back on the PS3, we spent many an hour kiting such players around the map, and keeping them away from other players that just wanted to play, not get relentlessly hounded by players that just want them to get angry and quit.

BGS conflict, piracy et. al. is one thing. Simply being a target for someone that wants to 'mine my salt' is another. I'm not bothered about the wide gap between PVP META and how I play, as I'm unlikely to ever get to the point of wanting to engage at that level. The game, to me, isn't about 'proving my PVP skills', and I don't really have a burning need to fly a near identically equipped FDL to everyone else just to be on a level playing field.

I'm not afraid of being 'ganked', I'm not willing to be someone's <15 seconds of action before an unsatisfying climax.

Gankers? Are you serious? As somebody who was once a member of B**N, but got out as soon as possible, let me tell you about how truly evil and depraved gankers are. During gankerTraining, we were forced to this chant before blowing up newbies: "If they're harmless, make them pennyless!" At deciat, we fired at both harmless targets and mostly harmless targets. Half the targets were unarmed, and half the targets we were supposed to shoot at were innocent AD players holding merits. We were supposed to shoot at any target, regardless of whether it was armed or unarmed, whether it was an elite or harmless. The only time in ganker Training we were allowed to watch OA was when the news showed reports of jnnocent traders being "accidentally killed" in mail slots. We were forced to scream "yes!" every time the news mentioned an innocent commander being killed. As soon as I saw how truly evil and depraved gankers were, I GOT OUT. I went straight to the leaders and told them I didn't want to be part of their federal terrorist organization. I told them that I REFUSED to kill innocent commanders, and take part in unjustified wars of aggression. The leaders responded by pinning me on deciat and shooting me with mining lasers for ten minutes straight. They told me that I wasn't leaving and that if I ever tried to speak up against their hate and bigotry again, they would murder me. I took matters into my own hands, and jumped to colonia at night while the gankers were asleep. I ran away from the system I was at, and have not returned to this day. Every Time any commanders expresses admiration for the gankers, I VOMIT. I was in for long enough to see that the federation is a ganker supremacist terrorist organization, just as bad as the 5'cers.
This is the kind of salt that gankers crave. I can see the appeal.

Pretty sure that's satire. I hope 🥺
In my defense it did cross my mind when I re-read it, after I posted my response, but the point still stands regardless - that's exactly the kind of whine you'd see in ganker hotspots and I wish people would show a bit more self restraint - if I get ganked I say... absolutely nothing. Take it on the chin, analyse the situation in terms of how I can avoid it next time, learn those lessons and move on until my next encounter, where I hopefully don't make the same mistake again. No smack talk necessary.

This is the kind of salt that gankers crave. I can see the appeal.
this is just appealing to people with very low self-esteem - they need to boost their ego with something as lame as this. we can just pitty them. This isn't appealing to someone, who is balanced or likes a real fight - but those do not go for prey, which isn't fighting back, they seek fights with more experienced pvpers.

this is just appealing to people with very low self-esteem - they need to boost their ego with something as lame as this. we can just pitty them. This isn't appealing to someone, who is balanced or likes a real fight - but those do not go for prey, which isn't fighting back, they seek fights with more experienced pvpers.
Well, there is a certain entertainment factor when you see (presumably) grown ups losing their :poop: over their spaceship getting blown up in a computer game, in a sort of daytime TV cringefest kind of way. Low level entertainment for sure, but entertaining nevertheless - I'm speaking from the neutral observer perspective here of course.

I'm not going to try to defend gankers no matter what, but it's also not right to say they're rubbish because they pick on noobs only. Some individuals (notorious ones, who gotten me several times in the past as well) who regularly gank at Deciat and other places require SPEAR wings of what... 8 players? to be taken down. There's squadrons/wings who shoot at anyone, doesn't matter if it's Elite or Harmless players. That's their thing, the game allows it, so I don't mind them.

I reckon most gankers do it out of boredom. Even I (usually a goody two shoes but in more recent times turned Chaotic Neutral if you will :p) had a pop at some Expert level players (so not really noobs) in my Sidewinder at one of the burning stations recently, and it was surprisingly easy - didn't explode anyone but came very close in one instance against a Python (let them off at 9% hull, and almost dropped the shields of a Cutter). It was a mere experiment to see how easy player ships can pop because I was a bit bored with what to do, for the other side I probably was an evil ganker with self esteem issues. Either way, I was shocked how much quicker they took damage vs NPCs.

Last edited:
Well, in my books they are rubbish - low self-esteem - and if they do it out of boredom, that shows on top of it, that they aren't smart either. A smart person cannot get bored.

Top Bottom