Why I and many others will rarely play open

Definitely some good ideas there. I don't think that punishing gankers/criminals is a good approach, but giving others the ability to hunt them down and tipping off other players of their location could result in some interesting gameplay for all sides.

Though it should obv work via graduated scale and the worst consequences should be reserved for seal-clubbers etc, actual risks and consequences would be essential for me to make things engaging from the PvP perspective as well.

Make me infamous! Broadcast my name! Increase the rewards! Have tons of commanders chase me for a chance at one of my modules, or just to give me just desserts. I'd love it.

I'm open only, been ganked in Nanomam during the latest CG.. had some fun flying round and round the ganker until he got lucky and one shotted my sidewinder... but then a CG in open is ganker central... and 40 000 cr for a sidey rebuy aint gonna hurt especially since my mining 'conda dumped 60 million of platinium and various others off 30 mins earlier.
But its the risk in open that makes things fun for me

But always remember the rules of elite
Never fly without rebuy
And never fly with more than you can afford to lose
SO if you've just loaded up a cutter with 200 million worth of mined materials in your allotted 2 hrs of elite per week, dont fly in open to a major buyer listed in Inara in open.
Because they will be waiting for you

Bill

<<back flying his beloved AspX.... 720 max speed sidey is just way too twitchy ;)

I can counter that with the saying "opposites attract". Irl if you want a long-term, stable relationship, dating someone just like you is often a mistake. People like to be challenged by their significant others, and to be called out on their <EDIT: Redacted>. Compatibility can get awfully boring.

And that's why sex robots will fail, imo.
my partner and I are much alike though, happily together since 10 years. I doubt that I could live with someone, who would be much different from myself - and why would it be boring - we are both creative personalities and boredom is something for rather stupid people, who have no ideas and can get bored. We cannot get bored ever, there is always something to do and to discover and to research or to figure out - there is no time to be bored. And it is as well helpful, if the other is intelligent with an open mind - why would I want a stupid narrow-minded person as partner, just to have an opposite - really not.

Dating - another non-sense - my partner and I studied together, we worked together and we fell in love - we never dated at all. It worked out, because we are much alike.

Last edited:
I'm wondering where all you griefing-victims are hanging out... Personally I highly welcome any occasional PvP engagement, but i rarely ever even meet another commander :(

Jameson is my home base. Last time I was interdicted, I was just heading home in my vette. Got jumped by two ship. Thought I'd play with them for a bit. Then a third showed up. So I just logged out. Nothing in it for me, so why bother?

Jameson is my home base. Last time I was interdicted, I was just heading home in my vette. Got jumped by two ship. Thought I'd play with them for a bit. Then a third showed up. So I just logged out. Nothing in it for me, so why bother?

In other words you tried to fight and decided there was nothing in it for you once it stopped going your way, so you clogged.

Btw, that's a bannable offense if they bothered to report you. You might wanna stick with Solo if you can't handle a loss.

why bother menulogging when you can high-wake just as quickly and evade at the same time?

In other words you tried to fight and decided there was nothing in it for you once it stopped going your way, so you clogged.

Btw, that's a bannable offense if they bothered to report you. You might wanna stick with Solo if you can't handle a loss.
Lol, logging out with the menu is perfectly acceptable, it's been said many times by the devs.

Hilarious the extent to which gankers will lie and distort the truth to get what they want.

Lol, logging out with the menu is perfectly acceptable, it's been said many times by the devs.

Hilarious the extent to which gankers will lie and distort the truth to get what they want.
Technically acceptable sure... lame nonetheless. And useless... menu logging takes 15 seconds, so does charging up the FSD for a high wake. So why even using the lame way, if he could have chosen the immersive way?

Technically acceptable sure... lame nonetheless. And useless... menu logging takes 15 seconds, so does charging up the FSD for a high wake. So why even using the lame way, if he could have chosen the immersive way?
Because he no longer has to jump back to the system and spend even more time in super cruise b4 docking at his home station and doing whatever. Dealing with gankers is inconvenient. That sounds dismissive, I know, but that really is all there is to it. PvPers/gankers/pirates or whatever you want to call them are, quite simply, a tedious waste of time to some, perhaps even many, commanders.

Open-only player here, I've lost exactly 2 ships to griefers.. What are you doing wrong?
Been killed about 3 times in Open Play, and usually it's been in an Engineering system and somebody waiting until you jump into it.

I don't mind playing my fully engineered Cobra MKIII in open play, it only cost 800,000 (less than a million to get back) if killed. But my Corvette cost 50 million to get back if killed, so not keen on using that in Open Play. Said it before... if the makers of Elite want to see more people using Open Play - they should seriously rethink the rebuy cost of ships when killed. Paying 50 million to get a Corvette back is a lot of money when you don't do things in the game to earn big bucks fast like mining Void Opals or doing the CGs. I currently have 190 million in the bank, not billions like some, and hard earned through trade runs. So losing 50 million of that is huge chunk of money lost

I would like to use the Corvette more in Open Play.... but damn, 50 million re-buy cost? I think it should be about 10 million maximum for the best ships to re-buy them back if you want to see more people with them using Open Play. I could live with a 10 million re-buy, but 50 million. Na!

Last edited:
Knowing how to escape from someone who attacks you is one of the most essential elements of open, and makes gameplay more interesting for both parties.

It's easy to switch to solo and hide, it's your choice completely of course, but by adding extra challenge and risk, the game becomes much more enjoyable and immersive, even if you're a total noob at PvP.
Running away simulator isnt interesting at all, but pretty much the only option when meta meets vanilla.

Okay, I'm still laughing. And I do enjoy the "pay attention" aspect of open.

Y'know you've given me the bug. Unfortunately I'm currently on the other side of the galaxy. When I get back, no more running. I got nothing to lose. I'm curious how good the typical gankers are. (Am I in for a world of pain and credit loss?). Its gonna take me a couple weeks travel. I might just get another account.
I managed to get away from a Chieftan at Dav's Hope a while back. This was with my alt account, flying a multirole Cobra 3 (so SRV, scanners, limpets, cargo racks, and not filled to the brim with any reinforcements at all), mostly stock A/D rated with barely any engineering (some G2/3 thrusters and FSD improvements though, stuff you get from Farseer early on).

Since it was planet-side, 180 degrees of escape routes were blocked. I boosted towards him, went into silent running (to mess with his targetting if nothing else), popped a heat sink and managed to low wake out with 60% hull intact. Not all gankers are flying aces, and some fancy flying can make a difference - especially when you're low rank they don't always expect the latter.

Was I lucky? Sure, a little at least. Did I gain anything from flying in Open? In terms of in-game assets, nope - but you couldn't really put a price on that grin on my face afterwards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom