Why am I being attacked for no reason?

I've noticed a few times recently that bad guy NCPs have been attacking me for no reason. Times when I have no missions, no cargo, no powerplay alliances, not wanted, just minding my own business. And they swoop in and attack. You might expect that might happen in open play, but what other reasons would an NCP have to attack you?

Happened again a few minutes ago. I dropped out of supercruise to a unidentified signal of threat level zero. So I'm scooping up materials and an NCP drops in and immediately opens fire. For no reason!

Is this a concious decison of the devs to liven thing up a bit, or a bug?

The specific example you listed is a possible but unlikely event at threat level zero degraded emissions (I think, maybe others) signals. It's an ambush laid by a pirate, doesn't seem to matter if you're carrying anything.

Yeah, I actually got engaged by a Keelback at one of the signal sources recently, was good fun.

It’s not wise to travel in an underprepared ship anymore. I know that’s never a good idea anyway but I sometimes used to go scavenging in a d rated Hauler.

Okay, so it is a conscious decision of the devs to introduce 'greifing' to NCPs? I'm sorry, but that's just stupid!

Right now I'm pootling around in my Asp Explorer with millions of credits worth of explorer data I'm saving up to give to an engineer. And just now I had an Anaconda drop out and kick the crap out of me for no reason. I could so easily have lost all that. That's the kind of loss that can make someone stop playing a game. Are the devs okay with that?

Okay, so it is a conscious decision of the devs to introduce 'greifing' to NCPs? I'm sorry, but that's just stupid!

Right now I'm pootling around in my Asp Explorer with millions of credits worth of explorer data I'm saving up to give to an engineer. And just now I had an Anaconda drop out and kick the crap out of me for no reason. I could so easily have lost all that. That's the kind of loss that can make someone stop playing a game. Are the devs okay with that?

Drop out where, what were you doing?
Were you in a USS or POI?:S

I've noticed a few times recently that bad guy NCPs have been attacking me for no reason. Times when I have no missions, no cargo, no powerplay alliances, not wanted, just minding my own business. And they swoop in and attack. You might expect that might happen in open play, but what other reasons would an NCP have to attack you?

Happened again a few minutes ago. I dropped out of supercruise to a unidentified signal of threat level zero. So I'm scooping up materials and an NCP drops in and immediately opens fire. For no reason!

Could just be a faction that is hostile to you due to your actions previously?

Drop out where, what were you doing?
Were you in a USS or POI?:S

At a USS, collecting materials for engineering. As said, no cargo, no missions, not wanted, no affiliation with local factions, just passing through. There's no reward nor reason to attack me. I avoid open play for just that reason. If you don't want to fight, you should have a way to avoid it. This tries to force you into combat situations when you may be ill equipped to partake. If this was indeed a conscious decision of the devs, in my opinion, this is a short sighted decision.

The threat zero 'trap' is one of the scenarios, check the comms tab & you should see the NPC says something like 'can't believe that worked, get 'em boys!' or similar.

I have previously argued that NPCs should always have (or provide) a reason, there are plenty enough players playing 'psycho killer', we don't need NPCs to do it too (imo). I wore a T-shirt to the Birmingham Elite-meet that said something to that effect.

The ones that frustrate me the most are those that magically know you are carrying scavenged cargo - there is no realistic way they could know what is in your hold without a scan.

ahh I remember back in the days when you got jumped by 3 Deadly/Elite 'Condas, while I was in a combat python. Now that was fun! I won quite a few of those fights, but had to run away in flames quite a few times :D

This. Threat level zero is not necessarily "safe".

I call them gold traps. NPC's are lying in wait, ready to pounce a hapless scavenger.
Usually you find that there is gold (or something else valuable) to scoop, that's generally a clue that things might not go as you'd expect.

It's not griefing, it's piracy, it's marauders, in space. Why should you be able to get around completely impervious to human nature? The game is meant to be dangerous. Not being prepared for that danger is entirely on you, mate. And to be honest, if you're going to quit over that, then this game is probably not for you anyway, and it will be no loss.

OP: It's happened to me.
But it's best not to try to fathom out any 'reason' for the 'fake' information that was hacked into your computer data stream by the NPC in the USS.:rolleyes:

OP: It's happened to me.
But it's best not to try to fathom out any 'reason' for the 'fake' information that was hacked into your computer data stream by the NPC in the USS.:rolleyes:

That's not what I'd like to fathom. What I'd like to know is, is it a conscious decision of the devs to have pirates attack you when you have nothing for them to take? Or is it a bug? To me, it doesn't add to the experience or make it more absorbing. Frustrating != enjoyable.

I was pottering around in my FdL earlier, doing some engineering, and I got interdicted, scanned and attacked on 3 separate occasions by pirates in FDS's.... using Hatchbreakers... even though my FdL has no cargo racks. [where is it]

I'm all for FDev creating a bit of variety for things but, y'know...

That's not what I'd like to fathom. What I'd like to know is, is it a conscious decision of the devs to have pirates attack you when you have nothing for them to take? Or is it a bug? To me, it doesn't add to the experience or make it more absorbing. Frustrating != enjoyable.

This spesific scenario is a trap, plain and simple. Once entering that USS there is a small chance a few pirates jump in on you. In other words, space isn't safe.
I just wish there was many more of these scenarios in game, they liven it up, and keeps you on your toes.

It has increased since last update and has no logic —a Cobra attacked my Cutter last night no reason at all I was not carring any cargo and was not wanted

Top Bottom