Powerplay Where is my accumulated powerplay points from shooting enemy ships?

The news is on Galnet is "Any pilots who operate for one of the powers must deliver their cargo or vouchers before this time to ensure their activities are registered". This is a) hidden in what I considered the "fluff" section of the game and b) not very clear. Registered does not mean it is lost- when you dont know how this is handled in game you can easily assume that it simply doesnt count this time. But you could still turn it in and then it would count next cycle. It does not state you lose it. Poorly done.

Whilst I agree that it could be clearer i.e. unspent undermine vouchers will be lost, I disagree with the rest. Part of the point of using Galnet to convey information to the playerbase is to make the game more immersive, rather than just have all the content spoon-fed to the players as per X-box combat-sim 101.

The entire idea is that once you are in the cockpit, the info you need is there, in game. I realise that it might not always work 100% in practise, but I'd encourage FD to use Galnet for sharing info with the players in an "in-game" a way as possible, rather than breaking the forth wall continually. That might make things a little more oblique for some, but for many more it will make for an all round more rewarding experience.

Yesterday I killed alot of Patreus ships and accumulated about 1400 powerplay points that I was looking forward to turn in today. But now they are not showing in the left hand "transaction" tab. Does anyone has this happen? Where have they gone?

Greetings!

Sorry for your loss.

Please remember that venting is okay, as long as action is taken at the same time.

1. you are now aware that before the cycle change each week, all vouchers must be turned in.

2. You should submit a suggestion for a change/update to the notifications/information

- https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Yes, bummer.
I suggested a few weeks ago that the menu doesn't show when the last update took place, but should have a count down when the current cycle closes. This would eliminate the need to read galnet and you get the idea in the power over view. Should be shown in the power and overview window. Or when joined a power in terminal or 'right' panel.
Anyhow, I decided not to play PP for the merits, that ruins the whole game for me. A bit of RP. But honestly, PP doesn't get me that excited, being part of a group is nice. But I might leave the nutter and do my thing again since my selected home is somewhere in nowhere.

I'm with the OP on this one - dumb dumb mechanic - DMV simulator is all that turns out to be...sheesh - its all about the paperwork..lol

I can see the reason for the mechanic as it stands - you don't want players to be able to grind slowly to level 5, cashing in weeks of merits in a single go, and then have 3 weeks at level 4 if they cash in no further merits.
Plus you want to reward players who are genuinely participating for their cause week-by-week.

But at the moment
a) it can catch out players, such as above, and potentially put them off participating
b) it means it's risky not to cash in merits before Wednesday in case for whatever reason the deadline is missed. So it makes it harder to perform PP acts further away from control systems.
c) it feels unrealistic and too harsh, it's not as if the player's actions didn't happen and benefit the cause, they were just late cashing in

Maybe there's a halfway-house such as a 50% decay on uncashed merits? Or perhaps a one-time-only let-off i.e. the 1st time you forget to cash in merits they are retained but you get a warning?

For those who are interested, there is going to be an update coming in 1.4 that will send you an inbox message warning that the cycle is due to end:

- Added inbox message warning the player that a powerplay cycle is due

It's included in the Beta 2 update from Tuesday.

These posts along with the posts where players are unaware of how insurance apparently works despite it not being their first day playing are hilarious! Always good to get a nice chuckle looking through the forum.

For those who are interested, there is going to be an update coming in 1.4 that will send you an inbox message warning that the cycle is due to end:

It's included in the Beta 2 update from Tuesday.

Not too late, the mechanism is so stupid (both on gameplay and immersion perspective) that it really needed to be given more visibility in game.

A note lost in the middle of galnet or a mention in a incomprehensible manual were clearly not enough.

And I'm always saddened by those "it's in the manual you should have read it idiot" comments, posted as if the mechanism was good and logical :/

It's not, absolutely not, so you shouldn't be surprised to see those thread coming each Thursday until FD decide to remove it (not a chance I'm afraid) or put the notification where it should be, like the mission timers and expiring bounty/fines.

Sorry I am not buying that as an excuse not to inform the player in the games help sections. I haven't seen that info on Galnet. Then again I dont regularly check Galnet. Why would I check Galnet to learn this? I am generally not interested in the Galnet news. Game rules should be mentioned in the games help tips sections. In the Powerplay window in-game there is even a HELP button that explains stuff about Powerplay. It's a pretty long wall of text but the fact that you lose loosing Powerplay points and that it happens Thursday morning is not mentioned. All I am asking why the hell not? I maintain that this info should be relayed to the player in the games help and game rules sections, and not reserved to a Galnet post.

On the other hand if 1.4 introduces a mail with a warning before the weekly reset I think that is also a good solution.

It is posted in Galnet this is how I know that after 6 days of grind to head back and hand in. I check galnet each time I log on because it tells me where there are civil wars and community goals as well as trading news. The only time I don't read Galnet is when I am out exploring and wont be back for months at a time. Not much point to keep up with current affairs when they are not going to effect me out in the black.

c) it feels unrealistic and too harsh, it's not as if the player's actions didn't happen and benefit the cause, they were just late cashing in

The main point of the player's actions is not merits but to influence powers in systems (by undermining or fortifying or preparing). So if you could cash in the merits you earned in x system last cycle it would mean those merits would have to count towards the current cycle which wouldn't make sense.

Let me explain it with an example, you undermine in system x and reach this cycle's trigger. Instead of switching to a different system you keep undermining in this system but not turning in the merits until thursday morning, so on thursday morning, bam, system x is already 100% undermined because everyone held on to their overundermining merits. Now they COULD make it that the merits earned the previous cycle can be turned in but don't affect progress of the current week's cycle but there's already enough of an issue with people farming merits without caring about whether this is helping their faction or not and this would only exacerbate that problem.

The main point of the player's actions is not merits but to influence powers in systems (by undermining or fortifying or preparing). So if you could cash in the merits you earned in x system last cycle it would mean those merits would have to count towards the current cycle which wouldn't make sense.

Let me explain it with an example, you undermine in system x and reach this cycle's trigger. Instead of switching to a different system you keep undermining in this system but not turning in the merits until thursday morning, so on thursday morning, bam, system x is already 100% undermined because everyone held on to their overundermining merits. Now they COULD make it that the merits earned the previous cycle can be turned in but don't affect progress of the current week's cycle but there's already enough of an issue with people farming merits without caring about whether this is helping their faction or not and this would only exacerbate that problem.

Or they could use logic: the action of gaining the merit is what should be used to influence powers in systems, that's what should be logged server side, not the action of cashing it.

If your going to do something drastic like bring logic into ED then you'll have to do it across the board.

Like what does scanning a wanted ship have to do wiith the legality of opening fire upon it? Why can I only mine 8 rocks or so from a roid but someone else can then walk right up to it and start mining it? How come ships seem to only appear in an instance after I appear unless another cmdr is near? How come enemy ships are always seen in another power's system but never seem to contribute to undermining, also why don't npcs contribute to fortification if they are seen out and about? Why are asp's almost never wanted in a res? Etc. Etc. Don't bring alien concepts like logic into this game. You might get forum banned for suggesting it

Last edited:
Yeah I mean, if you can be parked in Sag'A and play CQC, why can't you "turn in" ship kills without landing in a dang space station?

If your going to do something drastic like bring logic into ED then you'll have to do it across the board.

Like what does scanning a wanted ship have to do wiith the legality of opening fire upon it? Why can I only mine 8 rocks or so from a roid but someone else can then walk right up to it and start mining it? How come ships seem to only appear in an instance after I appear unless another cmdr is near? How come enemy ships are always seen in another power's system but never seem to contribute to undermining, also why don't npcs contribute to fortification if they are seen out and about? Why are asp's almost never wanted in a res? Etc. Etc. Don't bring alien concepts like logic into this game. You might get forum banned for suggesting it

Heheh, yes fair point.

It's just a crap mechanic. The tedious grind aspect of PP is already terrible enough without the risk of losing a week's work.

Well, for those complaining that Galnet isn't a good source, beta 1.4 includes information in the powerplay pages about the next cycle roll over.

Once that's in play I'm sure we'll get new complaints that it's not obvious enough, and that it should be sent out as a personal message, just like the annoying spam that is "your power is in turmoil".

Top Bottom