Whats the meaning of all this?

What does Odessy add to the gameplay and what is the outcome (or the benefit) for a commander? Do we have any achievements, can we discover new stuff? It feels like a "game in the game" right now with no real meaning and I am afraid that this is just another waste of time?

What does Odessy add to the gameplay and what is the outcome (or the benefit) for a commander? Do we have any achievements, can we discover new stuff? It feels like a "game in the game" right now with no real meaning and I am afraid that this is just another waste of time?
Combat missions are a "game in a game".
Courier missions are a "game in a game".
Passenger missions are a "game in a game".
Mining is a "game in a game".
Exploring is a "game in a game".
Walking around on the ground and doing missions will, of course, be a "game in a game".

Combat missions are a "game in a game".
Courier missions are a "game in a game".
Passenger missions are a "game in a game".
Mining is a "game in a game".
Exploring is a "game in a game".
Walking around on the ground and doing missions will, of course, be a "game in a game".
What does that make the game? 👀

It's a bit more connected now we can fly ourselves. Fly in; land near a settlement; drive the SRV in and take out the bandits; hop out and complete the mission.

Yes, apparently there will be new life to discover (plant/crystalline life).

Achievements? You need a pat on the head? This isn't the Steam forums. :p

Yes, its a game within a game. Most mechanics are.

Today i spent some time planting crops in Valheim. Its a game within a game.

on a more pragmatic point of view, your purchase of odyssey means money business, in real life, that feeds people, meets expectations and pays the bills.. that is not a game in a game, that is real life, that is not a waste of time. If this doesn't add up to your current interpreation of ED then nothing will.

the way they put it on promos is that oddyssey(TM) expands the elite universe in a new dimension, from in cockpit to on foot, actually allowing players to land
and walk in "some" of those generated planets. david braben considers this the closing of the circle, symbolized by that famous "armstrong" moment when setting foot on the moon.

if they have actually achieved that is anybody's guess, doesn't look so from where i am, but then i'm not even bothering with alpha shenanigans, i'm happily out exploring in horizons.

being realistic, at this point and with alpha access you are a diehard fan of the game else you wouldn't be even playing that bizarre base shooting thing nor asking, so you should be happy with the franchise getting some new content at all, and that it isn't a catastrophic failure. enjoy! ;)

Today I said hello to my wife, but it's merely a game ... within ... a game.
(OT warning)
This is actually quite a deep thought, akin to the old "When does the love happen" musing.
It's not one singular occasion where you would say "okay, I now love this woman". It's the sum of the little things over the long period of time, things you've said to each other, things you've done together, etc...

Same can be said about a game. It's not a one thing you can point out that makes you like a game. Or hate it. I have many favourite games but if you asked me why I love them, I would probably just say "becaue they're good games", but won't be able to give you a list of the things I like about them. :)
And just as well it's not a one particular NEW thing being added to Elite that will make the game better or worse. It will, again, be the kind of nebulous sum of it all. Whether it will make the game better or worse, well, we'll see.
It will make the game.... "more". :LOL:

Top Bottom