Whatever happened to "You will" towards a multitude of features promised in the kickstarter, Mr Braben?

What a load of Applesauce, if you feel they lied to you sue them! as much as I want to hold FDEVS feet to the fire it need to be based in reality. Everything you heard FDEV explained about the "vision" was just that, a vision! not a roadmap. what we got is what they expected 10 years to complete the main headlines, and as far as I can count 2014 - 2021 = 7 years so 3 years to implement the rest, can they do it? will they do it, no idea however when the 10 years is up we can start talking about not fulfilled features.

Defined "modern"

Yes, and when you spend money on kick starter there are risks, at least there was a product as describer in the KS.

They are only accountable to the shareholders, you want to be a part of it, invest in FDEV shares, you don't like the product don't buy it, you feel entitled to a refund ask for one.

Ok, not perfect so we should focus on what can make it better.

And yeah, there is a lot of weird decisions like CQC, PP and so on, however then we should point out why we don't like it, and how it could be better, maybe they will listen maybe not, however that's what is needed a dialog and of course FDEV need to take it serious.
When you have showed a vision (which a vision "only" it isn't - newsletter 29 ) and upon that you have got money blaming someone to have believed in your words it's quite offensive...

Okay, it's a game and so on.

But still a lie remains.

Vision or not vision.

0bd97b6ba4e14b5bbdead6826187a8d2.gif

What a load of Applesauce, if you feel they lied to you sue them! as much as I want to hold FDEVS feet to the fire it need to be based in reality. Everything you heard FDEV explained about the "vision" was just that, a vision! not a roadmap. what we got is what they expected 10 years to complete the main headlines, and as far as I can count 2014 - 2021 = 7 years so 3 years to implement the rest, can they do it? will they do it, no idea however when the 10 years is up we can start talking about not fulfilled features.
Sueing FD won' t make much sense. There's lying in the legal sense of not fulfilling an contractual obligation and there there's this whole grey area 'not being completely honest'. They sold many of us a daydream, a fantasy fueled by nostalgia. Just look at the video WR3ND posted. There's nothing pinned down in what they' re saying but they try very very hard to convey the idea that all these things are coming at some point in the future. Now sure, you can keep saying that the future might still come, but there's a limit to reasonable patience I'd say. Mine has passed a long time ago.

As to them only being accountable to their shareholders. You're absolutely right at that point. They don't seem to feel accountable towards me as a customer. So I'm no longer one of their customers.

I could have moved on years ago, should have probably, but there's a part of me that feels betrayed and that part is petty and vindicative I guess.
There's also another, even smaller, part that still holds some hope against all odds that at some point this game will live up to its potential.

Sueing FD won' t make much sense. There's lying in the legal sense of not fulfilling an contractual obligation and there there's this whole grey area 'not being completely honest'. They sold many of us a daydream, a fantasy fueled by nostalgia. Just look at the video WR3ND posted. There's nothing pinned down in what they' re saying but they try very very hard to convey the idea that all these things are coming at some point in the future. Now sure, you can keep saying that the future might still come, but there's a limit to reasonable patience I'd say. Mine has passed a long time ago.

As to them only being accountable to their shareholders. You're absolutely right at that point. They don't seem to feel accountable towards me as a customer. So I'm no longer one of their customers.

I could have moved on years ago, should have probably, but there's a part of me that feels betrayed and that part is petty and vindicative I guess.
There's also another, even smaller, part that still holds some hope against all odds that at some point this game will live up to its potential.
My expectations were based on Frontier showcasing and talking about what they wanted and indeed intended to make. Elite: Dangerous is the first game in the franchise I played, and I picked it and then later the LEP up in 2015.

Video games are the only products I know of where it seems so widely acceptable to some to get away with selling and buying snake oil.

Last edited:
Regarding ship interiors yes, and roadmaps can be difficulty to administer, so if I should suggest anything they should tell us where they want to take ED. Like do they still consider EVA as a future feature, are ship interiors still something they would like to do? And will there be ELW we can walk on some day, we all know the corporate fluffy speech, however if they are planning where they consider Ed in 2-5 years would be nice. They will never tell you anything unless they got a business case and a go ahead from the board and even if they received that the information would be very limited, that’s just how it works.
The board can still release a roadmap for the next 2-5 years "This is what we plan to do next".

Of course there won't be a roadmap. That would hold them accountable. FD and a lot of their adorers would also love for all the kickstarter videos to disappear, because those clearly show the lies we've been fed from the very start of the game. Help kickstart a modern version of Elite! No, we helped kickstart Frontier Developments the company/publisher. Instead of a modern version of elite we got a game as a service travesty with a poor fps bolted on.
Oh I don't disagree that that Lord Brebus hasn't behaved much better than Mr Roberts! It amounts to about the same thing...

One Alpha you can play and its called a Full Product and the other you can play and its called an Alpha...

I confess 8 years+ later, I'm a bit disappointed that the original dream I was sold isn't what I got. I understand goals change, but since Horizons it feels like the further development of Elite was on the backburner and the crap actually released (Power Play, Fleet Carriers, various other stuff through the years) isn't what I was originally told was coming. Horizons set the bar high in 2015, but here we are almost 6 years post that release and we're still wandering around barren planets, only now they've got generic bases. Somewhere along the road, we lost the way.
^^^^^
This.
DB needs to address the community on the future of ED and the disconnect of all the releases after V1.0 to what was sold repeatedly the first 3 years.

Odyssey shows to me a major disconnect to the lore, the "major PDLC goals", and previous iterations of ED itself (existing settlements and stations cannot be explored, the UI is unbelievably different and stupid, Jacques the bartender isn't even the one "hand crafted" touch they could have added related to the lore since we have bartenders now).

It's just a shadow of what was pitched in 2012. Most of the features rolled out were never discussed as part of the long term goals and never got player comment. Many have subsequently languished in a state of "has promise but needs work". FD announced a dumb policy with Multi-crew that their policy was if half-baked features didn't get used by the community they were never going to spend money to flesh them out, make them fun or even make them work really well.
[edit to fix run-on sentence]

So here we are after years of being told that Elite's ships were designed with their interiors in mind that ship interiors simply are not part of the roadmap. What's worse, if there's demand for it you ask, then perhaps it will be given more consideration? This statement says two things to me.

1. You boys have NEVER paid attention to your community. People have only been asking for this feature for years! It sure beats what we HAVEN'T asked for. If anything, an airlock room with a ramp might have actually given us an "Armstrong moment"

2. David Braben, CEO of Frontier Developments, said "You will be able to walk around inside your ship". So now that we're told 8 years later that this isn't even on the roadmap, what does this mean? It means you simply lied to us.

Watch this link and tell me what's wrong with this picture!

Source: https://youtu.be/EM0Gcl7iUM8

Whatever happened to doing all of these things really well? The planets themselves are a contradiction to what he promised. Honestly, Frontier, come on already!
They only few weeks ago released new game version with on-foot content, and as si easily visible, they have much to work at to get this new way of ED play into a good condition. And there still will be people moaning for things which absolutelly cannot be any priority in next half year at least. Here I have one nice image to show my view on this thread as a whole:
8WsTL2t.jpg

Last edited:
For me I've not cared much since other games exist. If they do, they do, if they don't, they don't. I can always float around earth-likes and ship interiors elsewhere. Speaking of which, like Braben spouting off about gas giants, another space-based game is getting them next patch, with floating cities. Now if these other games didn't exist... yeah I'd be upset, too. Elite was my all-time favorite game back in 2014, but they kinda laid quiet and other games caught up and passed them long by. I still have hopes maybe one day Elite will wake up and re-take its place, but it feels like Fdev have had this minimum viable product mentality about Elite for quite a while. Odyssey sitting at like 30% positive reviews shows things are getting worse, not better, despite all the new content. They tend to just release something half done, do some PR talking, then never look back and move onto the next paycheck. Maybe this one will wake them up, or unfortunately cause them to simply shut down Elite's production as they no longer find it a viable way of making money. Which is a shame, as they could be rolling in so much money if they had just focused on fixing and fleshing out Elite, instead of the next piece of eye candy that was all show and no teeth.

Which space games have caught up and passed Elite by ?

The fact they just gave us legs??? Boasted an "Armstrong moment"... Lol.

Remember at the Q3 Announcement where a guy in the crowd shouted "Spacelegs" and the reply was "Dont feed the trolls"
As far as I am aware its not trolling to keep asking for features. And it would be even more not be trolling if you state that you would develop them.
Or am I missing something that will make this whole scene less irrational?

They sold many of us a daydream
No they sold YOU a daydream, even as a LEP holder I fully knew the risk and I can't see anywhere where they said you will get this at these dates. I just can't find it, what I do see is a lot of we would like to, we want to, in time blah blah, don't buy dreams, it's not a viable product.

Remember at the Q3 Announcement where a guy in the crowd shouted "Spacelegs" and the reply was "Dont feed the trolls"
As far as I am aware its not trolling to keep asking for features. And it would be even more not be trolling if you state that you would develop them.
Or am I missing something that will make this whole scene less irrational?
Asking for features is great, keep pushing, I certainty do, I asked for spacelegs for a long time, am I happy with the result? NO! can it be improved sure, will they do it? don't know only time will tell, however if the game is getting boring I just move to something else and you wont see me here explaining that i'm leaving.

The board can still release a roadmap for the next 2-5 years "This is what we plan to do next".
They will never do that, because plans changes, however I can guarantee you, if the game is generating money, they will keep supporting it and will release DLC's and it's up to us to ask for features like ship interiors and atmo planets, however if the game dries out and no one is playing they will not invest anything into the game, it's just how capitalism works. Now if someone out there got the skills and can raise the capital to fund it, please make a game that is open source where people can donate money, I don't see that any day soon as it's a big undertaking if you want to do it on the scale where ED is right now, and I'm not talking about the size of the galaxy.

When you have showed a vision (which a vision "only" it isn't - newsletter 29 ) and upon that you have got money blaming someone to have believed in your words it's quite offensive...

Okay, it's a game and so on.

But still a lie remains.

Vision or not vision.
News letter 29 is a vision, not a promise, and I still see it as bullet point presentations of what they want to do, will we get it, don't know they got 3 years left to prove it, we will see if they actually accomplished it. The problem with FDEV is that they don't share with the community what they want to do with ED, DOBE's vision could still be viable however the timeframe could have changed or even parts of the vision, and we then need to know that, I can agree with that.

Last edited:
They only few weeks ago released new game version with on-foot content, and as si easily visible, they have much to work at to get this new way of ED play into a good condition. And there still will be people moaning for things which absolutelly cannot be any priority in next half year at least. Here I have one nice image to show my view on this thread as a whole:
8WsTL2t.jpg
Typical response. This thread is here because Braben himself told us what we will be able to do, but stands to remind people of the fact Frontier launched Elite then effectively went against everything they promised they wanted to do well. Planets ARE just rinse repeat for the most part, which is also something they said they didn't want, and fast forward to today when space legs has arrived that the company act oblivious to ship interiors even having enough demand... Hmm.

Think what you will, but this thread still stands with a point attached.

Arthur's comment about climbing stairs/ship interiors being boring is standard illogical, inconsistent shill nonsense, whereby you say anything to defend the current state of affairs regardless of whether or not it is wholly contradictory in not only existing gameplay, but statements made earlier. It's why his comments have been so widely lambasted. Can we assume Arthur believes station interiors are boring gameplay? Why can't I just teleport to my ship when on the ground, surely having to run to my ship every time I want to board is boring, it was fun the first few times, but now can we cut to a black screen where i insta board from the bar, or the ground base i just trashed. This whole having to WASD to the ship is a waste of my time.
Arthur is not the lead designer. He is not the game producer. He is a CM. I would guess it was just his personal opinion and he didn't even speak to the dev team about it.

Arthur is not the lead designer. He is not the game producer. He is a CM. I would guess it was just his personal opinion and he didn't even speak to the dev team about it.
Well, ive played X4, and the running to the teleporter teleporting to the ramp running from ramp to the point i would phase to in EDO then continuing my travels on foot IS getting boring, oh how i wish for the simplicity of XBTF and X2 with thier internal docking and no FAFF!

There are games out there that actually have these features that everybody begs for, but then get bored of and complain about IMMERSION TIMERS! while asking for more immersive gameplay like long walks round a box while they should be flying it ....

mon about apex ... moan about having to wait for ships to transfer, moan about all the immersive parts of the game ..... yet want ship interiors to be more immersive, (angry adult language not meant for polite company) will the community start to make sense .... or instead of coming here and moaning about the same thing over and over try a different game, read a book just something that isnt going to end up with you getting stomach ulcers or other stress based illnesses ...

Top Bottom