Whatever happened to "You will" towards a multitude of features promised in the kickstarter, Mr Braben?

I'm sure they will come, but not in Odyssey... you guys need to understand this is LIFE long (and beyond) project of David.. literally...this game has just "started" its life cycle and it will carry on for decades.
I have a single word in response to that... RoadMap!

Surely Lord Brebus can provide a meaningful road map for when these features will be released in a decent state of completion, or he is no better than Lord Roberts. Just another thieving Troll!

Surely Lord Brebus can provide a meaningful road map for when these features will be released in a decent state of completion, or he is no better than Lord Roberts. Just another thieving Troll!
Nope, because they don’t know, and until they know, they ain’t gonna tell us, in 2017 they told us legs was far out and not scheduled but something they would like to do, same thing was said about interiors.

Nope, because they don’t know, and until they know, they ain’t gonna tell us, in 2017 they told us legs was far out and not scheduled but something they would like to do, same thing was said about interiors.
How do you know that they don't know? If you do know, how do you know?? How would I know if you know what you know??

Not bad, 7 'know's in one line ...

How do you know that they don't know? If you do know, how do you know?? How would I know if you know what you know??

Not bad, 7 'know's in one line ...

JvGj.gif

So here we are after years of being told that Elite's ships were designed with their interiors in mind that ship interiors simply are not part of the roadmap. What's worse, if there's demand for it you ask, then perhaps it will be given more consideration? This statement says two things to me.

1. You boys have NEVER paid attention to your community. People have only been asking for this feature for years! It sure beats what we HAVEN'T asked for. If anything, an airlock room with a ramp might have actually given us an "Armstrong moment"

2. David Braben, CEO of Frontier Developments, said "You will be able to walk around inside your ship". So now that we're told 8 years later that this isn't even on the roadmap, what does this mean? It means you simply lied to us.

Watch this link and tell me what's wrong with this picture!

Source: https://youtu.be/EM0Gcl7iUM8

Whatever happened to doing all of these things really well? The planets themselves are a contradiction to what he promised. Honestly, Frontier, come on already!

He went on to clarify during Lave Radio that they are not a priority right now. Kind of like how Elite Feet wasn't a priority during most of horizons and yet here we are now.

Give us bridges, just ***ing (bad words hurts some feels) bridges with a lift to the surface, then you can go back to whatever you think is "gameplay" until you realise the thing that made the dumpster fire SC 400 million in the first place, was ships you could walk around in.

But now they are not saying that they want to to do interiors. The last comment was that it would probably be boring.

But now they are not saying that they want to to do interiors. The last comment was that it would probably be boring.
Yep, in fact Arthur's justification for not letting us climb the stairs (i.e. would waste our time) was a bit worrying, especially as it would be perfectly feasible to do an 'opt-in' feature and allow people to use the silly blue circle if they really want to. If fdev really wanted to save our time they would let us see the on foot mission board in space stations from our ship.

So you think a RoadMap is a unreasonable thing to expect FD to provide? Oookayy.

That’s just one CM comment I would not take that as a final comment regarding ship interiors, communication from FDEV was never brilliant 😂

So you think a RoadMap is a unreasonable thing to expect FD to provide? Oookayy.
Regarding ship interiors yes, and roadmaps can be difficulty to administer, so if I should suggest anything they should tell us where they want to take ED. Like do they still consider EVA as a future feature, are ship interiors still something they would like to do? And will there be ELW we can walk on some day, we all know the corporate fluffy speech, however if they are planning where they consider Ed in 2-5 years would be nice. They will never tell you anything unless they got a business case and a go ahead from the board and even if they received that the information would be very limited, that’s just how it works.

Yep, in fact Arthur's justification for not letting us climb the stairs (i.e. would waste our time) was a bit worrying, especially as it would be perfectly feasible to do an 'opt-in' feature and allow people to use the silly blue circle if they really want to. If fdev really wanted to save our time they would let us see the on foot mission board in space stations from our ship.
Arthur's comment about climbing stairs/ship interiors being boring is standard illogical, inconsistent shill nonsense, whereby you say anything to defend the current state of affairs regardless of whether or not it is wholly contradictory in not only existing gameplay, but statements made earlier. It's why his comments have been so widely lambasted. Can we assume Arthur believes station interiors are boring gameplay? Why can't I just teleport to my ship when on the ground, surely having to run to my ship every time I want to board is boring, it was fun the first few times, but now can we cut to a black screen where i insta board from the bar, or the ground base i just trashed. This whole having to WASD to the ship is a waste of my time.

Arthur's comment about climbing stairs/ship interiors being boring is standard illogical, inconsistent shill nonsense, whereby you say anything to defend the current state of affairs regardless of whether or not it is wholly contradictory in not only existing gameplay, but statements made earlier. It's why his comments have been so widely lambasted. Can we assume Arthur believes station interiors are boring gameplay? Why can't I just teleport to my ship when on the ground, surely having to run to my ship every time I want to board is boring, it was fun the first few times, but now can we cut to a black screen where i insta board from the bar, or the ground base i just trashed. This whole having to WASD to the ship is a waste of my time.
One more thing...

why in the hell do i have to watch a Vulture arrive in the cz.... and oncethe conflict end it's okay to teleport in the vulture but not in the station??

Those have lost the reason...

On the one hand the current bluntness of the CM's is much appreciated and very much needed. If a feature is not currently in development or even on the internal roadmap then don't just string us along with 'maybe, maybe'. This is a good thing, although it will sting for many people to hear.

The original sales pitch for the Kickstarter has long been shown to have been somewhat of a bill of goods. The fact that the CM's are now having to act as a fire-shield for the previous bad practices fostered within FDev is a real shame and instructive of the situation the game has been in for some time now. I'm inclined to say that the reason we aren't now getting a similarly straight statement from DB is because such a declaration would make him legally liable, which is a sad fact to contend with indeed.

Above and beyond that I'm extremely disappointed that Ship Interiors is now not on the table in any shape or form. I can of course wax lyrical as to why I think this is a mistake but I guess that's not really the point. In the main I'm happy that FDev have finally had the balls to actually say that we are not going to get a feature it seems they've never really had any intention of adding. It's a crappy situation but at least that last point would suggest that FDev is actually moving forward in some sense, if only by inches.

FDev; get Odyssey fixed, get the console version launched, then have a proper sit down and be honest with yourselves - and then us - as to where you see the game going in the future. Only then should you even consider posting a long-term roadmap that covers the features you 'actually intend to work on and add to the game'. If you have no intention of adding a feature, that's fine. Just have the good grace to be straight with us.

I think massive turnover of staff and leadership on the project over the many years has derailed the original vision for the game. If the team had been able to accomplish the goals set in these videos within the first 3 or 4 years, we probably would have what was described by David. Unfortunately, the execution of the plan wasn't aggressive enough early on and now we're stuck with the direction of whatever game director/designer is running the show in a given timeframe.

Of course there won't be a roadmap. That would hold them accountable. FD and a lot of their adorers would also love for all the kickstarter videos to disappear, because those clearly show the lies we've been fed from the very start of the game. Help kickstart a modern version of Elite! No, we helped kickstart Frontier Developments the company/publisher. Instead of a modern version of elite we got a game as a service travesty with a poor fps bolted on.

FD and a lot of their adorers would also love for all the kickstarter videos to disappear, because those clearly show the lies we've been fed from the very start of the game.
What a load of Applesauce, if you feel they lied to you sue them! as much as I want to hold FDEVS feet to the fire it need to be based in reality. Everything you heard FDEV explained about the "vision" was just that, a vision! not a roadmap. what we got is what they expected 10 years to complete the main headlines, and as far as I can count 2014 - 2021 = 7 years so 3 years to implement the rest, can they do it? will they do it, no idea however when the 10 years is up we can start talking about not fulfilled features.

Instead of a modern version of elite
Defined "modern"

No, we helped kickstart Frontier Developments the company/publisher.
Yes, and when you spend money on kick starter there are risks, at least there was a product as describer in the KS.

That would hold them accountable
They are only accountable to the shareholders, you want to be a part of it, invest in FDEV shares, you don't like the product don't buy it, you feel entitled to a refund ask for one.

we got a game as a service travesty with a poor fps bolted on.
Ok, not perfect so we should focus on what can make it better.

And yeah, there is a lot of weird decisions like CQC, PP and so on, however then we should point out why we don't like it, and how it could be better, maybe they will listen maybe not, however that's what is needed a dialog and of course FDEV need to take it serious.

It all means, that people (self included) read far to much into the promises of others who wanted to get their game Kickstarted (as well as gain venture capital interest in the company prior to the swap from developer to developer publisher and flotation on the stock exchange). And I was never convinced by the whole '10 year roadmap' thing, given plans change. Still, those KS videos, and some videos post release (there was one when members of the Dev team did talk about how much they wanted to walk round ships - think it was a 1 year anniversary video or something?).

Anyway, I've been a lot more circumspect with regards to Kickstarter projects, and open access in general, post-Elite.

Top Bottom