what are your expectations for future updates of this game?

Are you certain about the "everyone"?

Why didn't you just say "unfortunately it was far below my expectations" and at least be truthful?
I didn't expect that ship interiors will be left out of space legs expansion. Was a logical thing to expect when we get the ability to walk for the first time. Think that falls into 'below expectations' category.

He wasn't literal about 'everyone' though, at least that's how I see it. Some are completely fine and/or indifferent about it.

I didn't expect that ship interiors will be left out of space legs expansion. Was a logical thing to expect when we get the ability to walk for the first time. Think that falls into 'below expectations' category.

He wasn't literal about 'everyone' though, at least that's how I see it. Some are completely fine and/or indifferent about it.
I know.... using everyone as a reference is so bland though....

EDO's success will largely dictate the future of Elite (as would any major expansion). If EDO is a roaring success (in that it brings back and retains the lost population, as well as creates and retains the new population), then I suspect this iteration will continue on for some years yet. Elite Dangerous could very well see a lifespan akin to EVE Online, especially if the underlying framework really has been optimized for longevity.

That said, if EDO is a flop - in that it might generate strong sales, but not a strong continuing population - EDO would lilely be the last major expansion. At that juncture, FDev either invests in deepening the existing game...with the intent to drive ARX sales...or the game goes into maintenance mode and Elite 2 or some variation begins in the background. The IP certainly has proven potential, so I don't doubt another game if EDO is a flop.

At the end of the day, FDev is a business (smartly run is debatable, but the market likes them, so...) and their interest isn't in what is best for players or the environment of the game, but their investors. This is normal and not at all unethical...just a fact of modern gaming. As a result, Elite is naturally gravitating towards the short-run and bursts of population and sales, rather than long-term longevity and branding. We see this repeatedly now with many other major IPs and for the die-hard gamer, it can be infuriating to see so much potential never realized.

Because that potential isn't profitable on the time table the developer operates.

Rare is the developer (and rarer still the publisher) that is willing to sacrifice total profit for something intangible: gaming greatness. That's why, increasingly, we have household names like Destiny, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Fortnite, God of War...etc...but most of these household names aren't 'legendary' in terms of scope or design. They're just big. A great analogy is Hollywood: everyone knows the MARVEL films, but not one of them is worthy of being considered a legendary film. They were built to sell, little else.

The days of building impressive, rule-bending worlds is largely gone because the desire of large(r) developers to build them isn't there. Between development crunch and demanding consumers (and investors), you have three choices:

Build a solid, sellable product (most everybody)
Promise the Moon and maybe deliver it (Star Citizen)
Be an indie and do whatever you want until the bank calls because you haven't paid your mortgage in three months

FDev and Elite are, of course, of the first variety. And, depending on who you ask...that's good or bad. Good? You have a game, at least. SC can't really say that...and might never. Tachyon: The Fringe was awesome, but also a short, single-player experience. Bad? Elite will never look as good as SC, nor be as feature rich and thought-out as even the simplest X-Universe games.

In the end, if you want something Elite doesn't have, chances are good you:
a) Can find it somewhere else.
b) Have gamed for too long and now acutely experience the limitations of technology and economics. (Welcome to the Club)

[...]or the game goes into maintenance mode and Elite 2 or some variation begins in the background. [...]
Which would be a mayor waste of money and time.
There would be no point in make an "ED 2", because either it would look like ED 1, or it would mean starting from scratch, which is unrealistic at this point.

So if EDO flops, they would either put ED into maintenance forever, or develop a new expansion to go even further and recover from it.
There are no other reasonable options.

Which would be a mayor waste of money and time.
There would be no point in make an "ED 2", because either it would look like ED 1, or it would mean starting from scratch, which is unrealistic at this point.

So if EDO flops, they would either put ED into maintenance forever, or develop a new expansion to go even further and recover from it.
There are no other reasonable options.

Emphasis on "maintenance forever". That is unreasonable.

I do not mean an Elite 2 would come anytime soon if EDO flops. Only that it is hardly a waste of resources to develop the next title if the existing title hits end of life due to failure to capture and retain players and/or generate additional sales.

Considering the current state of EDO and the years spent developing it, I suspect an 'Elite 2' type of game wouldn't even be whispered until well after 2025...and that's if EDO is a critical, out-the-door failure. This isn't likely. FDev has spent a fair portion of marketing getting preorders, using the alpha as a lure, and best I can tell the strategy has worked well. The question remains how many of those preorders they retain and how many more sales they get post-launch.

Delaying console will also have benefits: if EDO launches and then gets many of its kinks sorted before console launch, EDO sales will be strong. It's always easier to sell an already-proven product. Of course, the opposite holds true, too: if EDO launches a buggy mess and remains a buggy mess, the console version will only add another nail to the coffin with poor sales.

And I suspect EDO is being heavily targeted at consoles in the long-run given its marketing (and gameplay) are almost exclusively focused on FPS combat. If EDO misses the mark on this market...that leaves the much larger PC population (not bad, it's the majority anyways) but also means EDO is competing exclusively with PC titles and their market share (that is bad). Very little of what EDO is offering entices new PC players - aside from the graphics update, which is important to consider - and it's been made plain that EDO must recapture old, lapsed players, too.

Honestly, the most likely reason for an Elite 2 (in my opinion, of course) is that this iteration fails to realize multi-crew and multiplayer loops effectively. It continues to be the #1 failure of this title. Elite could be far more successful (in sales and retention) if FDev would get its head out of its butt and solve the multiplayer loop, because that is what drives today's largest market: people who want to play with other people.

(This coming from a solo player. I love playing alone, but I and players like me are the vast minority.)

That will be the cause for an Elite 2: having to build from the ground up a better platform for multi-crew, wings, squadrons, and multiplayer stability.

Top Bottom