what are your expectations for future updates of this game?

Given this prediction, I bought a premium season pass for the forums, given the salt levels that would erupt if a certain mechanic misses the next expansion. (My suggestion for such people is to temper expectations.)
It really doesn't matter what happens at any time in the game's timeline for development - the forum will provide some great arguments, amazing humour (although some of said humour may be couched in terms that are less than endearing) and a good helping of very nice people...

I came here after nearly a year of playing as I didn't understand how to do something, got an easily understood response, had a quick chat with a few others, decided to stay!

My enjoying the game does tend to be somewhat offensive to some, but the majority here are brilliant! (even the few I regularly 'cross swords' with, in one way or another)

My expectations are a general continuation of the trend the game has been on since at least mid-2015, if not before launch...a gradual dilution and degradation of the gameplay--not to mention original vision, as stated by Frontier--that originally attracted me to the game, with worthwhile new content to distract from this being few and far between. The cautious optimism I had about EDO being a reprieve from that has been shattered, both by experiencing the alpha and what Frontier has been doing to the base game in the mean time. These double Engineered modules showing up in CGs and later in tech brokers and increasingly inflationary rewards all-round are exactly the opposite direction the game needs to go to appeal to me.

Before playing the alpha I had this big mental list of all the cool things I was going to have my character do to destract me from the absurdities that had been piling up. My Elite itinerary, in it's entirety, now consists of:

- See if I can tolerate playing long enough to update my final set of shadow profiles.

The game is a tech demo for me now. It looks better than ever and I have this new 43" 144Hz 4k VA panel to test.

If Odyssey fails to recoup the costs to develop it there may be no future updates 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure the game will be financially successful and I'm sure Frontier will be able to milk it for years to come, but as I am a player and not a shareholder, this does not bode well for me. Successful games and games that cater to a relatively small core niche are largely mutually exclusive.

If they stopped updating it at 1.4 I suspect I'd have twice as many hours in the game as I do currently and be very optimistic about the game's future. Some things are best left alone and a slow decline in population is preferable to having a game one was enjoying updated almost beyond recognition.

It's just such a pathetic waste of time; we live in a world where, if you don't like a game, there are probably plenty of other options out there you might actually enjoy.

Not in this genre.

I spent ten years looking for a Jumpgate alternative/successor until I mostly discovered it in Elite: Dangerous. The first-person, non-abstract, fantasy space flight/combat/trade MMO is not a large market and does not have many titles to choose from. Elite: Dangerous, no matter how bad it gets, is going to be the best there is in the category for the foreseeable future...and that's the most depressing thing about the situation.

Especially when it comes from the 'slapped in the face' explorers. They started with a game where there were no first discoveries, no landable planets, no heatmaps, DSS, FSS, no AFMU, repair limpets, SRVs, oxygen packages, bio/geo signals, alien bases; nothing but holding one measly button to reveal a bunch of 2D textures. All that changed and the old guard just shrugs and goes all Calimero.

I was never primarily an explorer, but most of these things, with the notable exception of baseline Horizons and SRVs, actually made exploration worse for me. Exploration was always too safe, too sure, too fast, and only got safer, faster, surer, and more convenient.

That's the problem I've had with Frontier's approach to improvements...they've always come to the conclusion that more, faster, and easier equaled better. I've generally had the opposite view, except when it comes to UI and controls, which are the few areas Frontier has made slower and harder!

By the time Powerplay was released I knew to hold no expectations.
I gotta say though, FD tricked me when they said they were improving exploration, what a sucker I was.
Since there's no actual public roadmap, I hang out to see if they'll ever do anything good with exploration.
Definitely no expectations.

Last edited:
I think it's both weird and sad that some people spend such large chunks of their
It's just such a pathetic waste of time; we live in a world where, if you don't like a game, there are probably plenty of other options out there you might actually enjoy.

If there is a space sim game out there that lets you build/customize ships and fly them as a proper flight game does (head tracking/VR/support for lots of bindings and devices, FP POV), drop it on us.

Reveal the truth to us all. For the love of all that is good, reveal this mystery upon us!!! 😭

I think it's both weird and sad that some people spend such large chunks of their time trolling a forum for a game that they don't even like.

It's just such a pathetic waste of time; we live in a world where, if you don't like a game, there are probably plenty of other options out there you might actually enjoy. That's not to say that I love everything about Elite, or don't think that it could be improved in a great many ways, but if I was as outright miserable as these people are with it, I would have moved on half a decade ago.

I think the best thing to do is just let these sad folks waste their time however they like while ignoring them; thus minimizing the amount of our time they waste in turn.
Show us on this T10 doll where the forum undead hurt you.

My expectations are a general continuation of the trend the game has been on since at least mid-2015, if not before launch...a gradual dilution and degradation of the gameplay--not to mention original vision, as stated by Frontier--that originally attracted me to the game, with worthwhile new content to distract from this being few and far between. The cautious optimism I had about EDO being a reprieve from that has been shattered, both by experiencing the alpha and what Frontier has been doing to the base game in the mean time. These double Engineered modules showing up in CGs and later in tech brokers and increasingly inflationary rewards all-round are exactly the opposite direction the game needs to go to appeal to me.

Before playing the alpha I had this big mental list of all the cool things I was going to have my character do to destract me from the absurdities that had been piling up. My Elite itinerary, in it's entirety, now consists of:

- See if I can tolerate playing long enough to update my final set of shadow profiles.

The game is a tech demo for me now. It looks better than ever and I have this new 43" 144Hz 4k VA panel to test.

I'm sure the game will be financially successful and I'm sure Frontier will be able to milk it for years to come, but as I am a player and not a shareholder, this does not bode well for me. Successful games and games that cater to a relatively small core niche are largely mutually exclusive.

If they stopped updating it at 1.4 I suspect I'd have twice as many hours in the game as I do currently and be very optimistic about the game's future. Some things are best left alone and a slow decline in population is preferable to having a game one was enjoying updated almost beyond recognition.

Not in this genre.

I spent ten years looking for a Jumpgate alternative/successor until I mostly discovered it in Elite: Dangerous. The first-person, non-abstract, fantasy space flight/combat/trade MMO is not a large market and does not have many titles to choose from. Elite: Dangerous, no matter how bad it gets, is going to be the best there is in the category for the foreseeable future...and that's the most depressing thing about the situation.

I was never primarily an explorer, but most of these things, with the notable exception of baseline Horizons and SRVs, actually made exploration worse for me. Exploration was always too safe, too sure, too fast, and only got safer, faster, surer, and more convenient.

That's the problem I've had with Frontier's approach to improvements...they've always come to the conclusion that more, faster, and easier equaled better. I've generally had the opposite view, except when it comes to UI and controls, which are the few areas Frontier has made slower and harder!

That's kind of my point though. People keep comparing Elite to some platonic ideal of a space game that does not, and probably cannot actually exist, instead of appreciating what we've got.

That doesn't mean we can't hope for improvements and changes, and can't acknowledge there are areas the game can improve (sometimes significantly), but ceaselessly hating on the game because it won't ever be one's personal dream game is a waste of time and an exercise in futility.

If there is a space sim game out there that lets you build/customize ships and fly them as a proper flight game does (head tracking/VR/support for lots of bindings and devices, FP POV), drop it on us.

Reveal the truth to us all. For the love of all that is good, reveal this mystery upon us!!! 😭
I know one! It is called Elit.. Oh, never mind.

I mean, we can hope for some kind of crazy ideal dream game that doesn't actually exist and hold every game that comes out to that standard, or we can appreciate what we actually have available to us.

That doesn't mean we can't hope for improvements to what we have, but these folks that seem to hate everything about Elite but still spend their time here probably could be spending their time more effectively. Be that finding a game closer to their dream or just coming to terms with reality.

Hit the nail on the head imo. My first two months (pre engineers) in elite were the most fun i ever had in a computer game, it was like FD read the mind of my 12 year old self. ED has been steadily and progressively declining ever since.

In fact, i would pay AAA price for an expansion that removed the engineers, rolled back credit inflation, fixed mission scripting bugs and removed arx as a cosmetic purchasing currency.

ED started as a near perfect space sim and watching it succumb to corporate neutering is somewhat like watching a friend succumb to addiction or debilitating disease.

Last edited:
"Re-entry effects" are as a result of aerobraking; our ships have delta v coming out of their ears, why on earth would there be any need for aerobraking?

I REALLY want them to flesh out atmospheric worlds, and possibly aquatic environments as well. Gas giants and water worlds included. But i'd also like it to feel like we're actually flying in atmospheres, instead of the same planets we've been flying around on for the past several years. Ya'know, atmospheric heating effects and all that. Oh, and more srvs.

Pffftt, like any of thatis ever gonna happen. But i can certainly dream.
There, fixed it. Happy now, Mr Literal?

hello commanders, this post of mine is to discuss the future of our beloved game, the frontier has been developing dlc odyssey for over a year, I would like to discuss whether you think we will ever have possibility of landing on planets with water, I imagine that water is very difficult to implement in a game and from what we have seen the frontier is not very good at implementing these technologies, at the same time that the game seems infinite in possibilities, many of these possibilities are impossible in fact, planets on a 1: 1 scale with nothing to do or explore, if a single planet in odyssey was done well, there should be things for all players to explore without them meeting each other on the surface so big are the planets, but my biggest doubt is water, do you think the frontier will ever put water on the landable planets? or other types of liquids? do you have any experience of this? and the interior of the ships do you think we will ever have?
This community is carrying these dreams, ideas and wished for about 6 years now discussing them in countless threads.

2015 my wish for the future of this game was more science-related gameplay, more exploration stuff and landing on any planet I could possibly land, including simulation of liquids, weather and whatever a planet has to offer. And all of that as "scientifically correct as possible" (quote David Braben in one of the dev diaries talking about gameplay.)

In 2021, well... my wish for the future of this game is more science-related gameplay, more exploration stuff and landing on any planet I could possibly land, including simulation of liquids, weather and whatever a planet has to offer. And all of that as "scientifically correct as possible" (quote David Braben in one of the dev diaries talking about gameplay.)

...That's the problem I've had with Frontier's approach to improvements...they've always come to the conclusion that more, faster, and easier equaled better. I've generally had the opposite view, except when it comes to UI and controls, which are the few areas Frontier has made slower and harder!
Don't forget the grind that is Engineers...

in yesterday’s live they said that there are still 18 types of settlements that we haven’t seen in alpha, and that goods in settlements will be cheaper. it's already something, but what I really wanted was confirmation that I will be able to land on this water planet with 0.08atm
agua.JPG

My expectations are as follows... There will be some new stuff. The forums will be going wild with posts ranging from "I love it" to "I hate it" and Meh"... Some will threaten to leave and some will. New players will join and old timers wil return.

There will be multiple posts about final pleas and open letters to the developers aplenty... In the end, we will have more content and the galaxy will be a better place while wait for new stuff... And the forums to go wild.

Repeat.

Top Bottom