what are your expectations for future updates of this game?

I appreciate the (limited) optimism present in this thread, but I can't say I feel the same way.

Odyssey looks cool. I'm most definitely going to buy it and run around a bit. But oh man I have never found a more pessimistic community for any game I've ever played, especially this close to a major expansion release. That by itself is why I'm reluctant to be optimistic. Most fanbases I've been a part of have had huge amounts of hype going into their respective latest releases and have generally been very satisfied when they got their hands on the product. Elite's fanbase seems to be comprised of the highest percentage of "doomers" I've ever come across. FDev don't have a grasp on how to get their hype train going and seem reluctant to show off much of Odyssey's content pre-release, which suggests to me there really won't be that much to see. They can hire all the community managers they want, but they have to generate content for those community managers to show off if they want to create a following and rake in that sweet Arx cash. The lack of transparency on their end regarding where they want to go post-Odyssey release is also a bit of a doozy. Heck, even the YouTube content creators seem disappointed. Do I think Elite will be amazing in the coming years? The slim chance is there... but I don't plan on investing in FD's stock.

To stay a bit more on-topic: My actual predictions? Cockpit-only ship interiors, and a "base-building" DLC letting you construct a semi-customizable space station, but not planetary settlements.

It's really a question of looking through what Frontier have trailed over getting on a decade and wondering what will come next.

In one of the streams Dr Kay appeared to do an oopsie and suggest that work on planets with thicker atmospheres was in progress, though once it was realised what had been said, or at least implied, all sorts of disclaimers followed.

Last edited:
The problem is that everyone sees Elite and the way it should go . Fdev are going their way but they have a bigger picture of the game .
Wait til EDO comes out , I thought the Alpha was a disappointment but I wasn't sold on Space legs ( old old player) and exploration is my thing . I am hoping the new planetary tech and the" other "will give me the "Wow" factor , which I have sadly missed so far.

Isn't that team like 100 people? I play a top-notch and full fledged FPS game with a staff less than 1/4 of that. I'm not trying to knock FD here, but as a developer it impresses me that they used ~100 employees to make EDO. Maybe that '100' number was exaggerated a bit for PR? Hopefully.
More than likely most of that dev time of 100 people/2+ years was in the new planet tech and (hopefully) cleaning up the acquired technical debt any legacy code base develops over time.

As for expectations, well, it's not the direction i would have taken. There's things i would have liked to see that aren't there, some of the new content i didn't think i'd want at first sight being more engaging than i thought it would.

So lets say my particular wants (ship interiors, scavenging of said ship interiors and EVA) aren't met, but my expectations in terms of increased enjoyment are.

I think most updates for the foreseeable future will probably focus on Odyssey. So if you like Fps games you're in luck. If not, too bad.
That should be a riffle in your hands, not a guitar, given the direction of EDO ... 😭

It's like crack without the upside 😉
Crack of the whip:
iu

Though these days if feels a bit more like this:
iu

I REALLY want them to flesh out atmospheric worlds, and possibly aquatic environments as well. Gas giants and water worlds included. But i'd also like it to feel like we're actually flying in atmospheres, instead of the same planets we've been flying around on for the past several years. Ya'know, re-entry effects and all that. Oh, and more srvs.

Pffftt, like any of thatis ever gonna happen. But i can certainly dream.

If Odyssey fails to recoup the costs to develop it there may be no future updates 🤷‍♂️

Unlikely. It would mean EDO FPS gets the MC/PP treatment and FD focuses future development on the frigging spaceship game that actually succeeded and that everyone is demonstrably happy to play. I may just purchase EDO on my main and take to terrorizing popular dirtlegs gathering areas in my T10 in a bid to bring this scenario about. While I like PvP, I've never been a seal clubber or ganker. At least my en masse seal clubbing will before a better future.

Unlikely. It would mean EDO FPS gets the MC/PP treatment and FD focuses future development on the frigging spaceship game that actually succeeded and that everyone is demonstrably happy to play. I may just purchase EDO on my main and take to terrorizing popular dirtlegs gathering areas in my T10 in a bid to bring this scenario about. While I like PvP, I've never been a seal clubber or ganker. At least my en masse seal clubbing will before a better future.
It depends on the investors / shareholders to some extent, I'd think. I don't know just how many millions of pounds Odyssey has cost to develop, but if those costs are not met by sales / cosmetics sales, who knows?

Bring your T-10 - us dirtlegs can shoot it down with our pistols in a few shots ;)

You'll be punched all the way to rebuy screen :D

Bring your T-10 - us dirtlegs can shoot it down with our pistols in a few shots ;)

You'll be punched all the way to rebuy screen :D

Lookin like I might need to use my 751m/s (Mach 2.18) Courier in order to escape the incredible power level of the mighty dirtlegs.

I'm gonna make you ant ba$stards pay for what you've dun did do to muh vidya! 😡 YoU hEAr ME?!?! 😭

I largely ignored these forums until the alpha, which was the correct decision. (I had some technical questions, which were politely answered, and that was it.)

Elite: Dangerous is a space game, and pre-Odyssey, it scratched my itch to replay the experience of Elite II. My attitude was: is it better than Elite: II? Yes it is. (Although there are parts of Elite II I like.) Since, I had no fantasies about what the game can do, I was a happy customer.

What about Odyssey? Courtesy of not reading the forums, it never occurred to me to create fantasies about what can I do walking inside the ship. I get to walk around on cool alien planets, and it’s great. (I never really enjoyed driving the SRV, so using intuitive FPS controls is a massive improvement.) The alpha was fun, and I expected to have fun.

Going forward, I think mechanic additions are incremental. My guess is that the next expansion hits in 12 months, and it will be EVA (“walking“ in space) plus slightly wider class of landable planets. (I think the division between planets is not going to be purely based on astronomical data, rather the nature of the plant/animal life. It’ll be hard to do a planet with lush life, but a planet with primitive life is no problem.)

Given this prediction, I bought a premium season pass for the forums, given the salt levels that would erupt if a certain mechanic misses the next expansion. (My suggestion for such people is to temper expectations.)

Top Bottom