what are your expectations for future updates of this game?

Millennium Edition or whatwasit was playable, when you learned to circumvent worst remaining bugs. And the idea is thrilling even now! Massive ship with crew management, launchable fighters and shuttles that you or ai could fly, planetary landings, automatic miners... It was (is?) THE dream!

I'd give a kidney if some grown-up software company offered to create the game Derek Smart thought BC3000AD was. Even if they put the FSS in it!

thank you for all the comments, it is possible to have a better idea of how the community sees the future, it is very sad to play a community game without having hopes that this game will improve with time and correspond to our expectations, but although there are more commanders pessimists like cmdt Mengy, there are also others who believe that odyssey is just the beginning of a series of updates, that would be spectacular.

I think it's both weird and sad that some people spend such large chunks of their time trolling a forum for a game that they don't even like.

It's just such a pathetic waste of time; we live in a world where, if you don't like a game, there are probably plenty of other options out there you might actually enjoy. That's not to say that I love everything about Elite, or don't think that it could be improved in a great many ways, but if I was as outright miserable as these people are with it, I would have moved on half a decade ago.

I think the best thing to do is just let these sad folks waste their time however they like while ignoring them; thus minimizing the amount of our time they waste in turn.
The sad part is that these folks ain't trolls; they are just people who cannot let go. Many of them played the original in '84, have fantastic memories of it and were expecting that ED would bring those days back. Quite a few of them spend a lot on the KS, spend countless hours on the DF theorycrafting the Ideal Dream Game. But in the end all they got was a really great computer game. It didn't match up to their dreams, it didn't bring back the days of when they were still kids with their fevered imaginations of being a space pilot. They're now adults, playing a computer game, with bills and assorted nonsense waiting for them when they log out.

They cant let go because there is nothing else for them. They can point to various games that did bit and parts better, but nothing else provides the package ED does. And it is still not enough. It is sad that they cannot enjoy ED for what it is, and it is sad they cannot let go and move on. But there is this core demographic of frustrated boomers that is at the core of both ED and SC. Fans of the former gave up and cannot enjoy it for what is, the latter cannot acknowledge their dreams will never come true. Just different expressions of the same underlying dreams and despairs.

That expectation is firmly grounded on FD/ED's track record.

One thing that everyone can agree on is FD's stellar commitment to consistency, they always deliver as expected.
It is quite sad when you've seen the insane transformation that is EDO compared with ED 1.0 from december 2014, and then look at the bitterly frustrated boomers who desperately try to keep up the narrative that ED didn't improve leap and bounds. Especially when it comes from the 'slapped in the face' explorers. They started with a game where there were no first discoveries, no landable planets, no heatmaps, DSS, FSS, no AFMU, repair limpets, SRVs, oxygen packages, bio/geo signals, alien bases; nothing but holding one measly button to reveal a bunch of 2D textures. All that changed and the old guard just shrugs and goes all Calimero.

wE nEvEr GeT aNyThInG!!!!! 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭

Pathetic.

It is quite sad when you've seen the insane transformation that is EDO compared with ED 1.0 from december 2014, and then look at the bitterly frustrated boomers who desperately try to keep up the narrative that ED didn't improve leap and bounds. Especially when it comes from the 'slapped in the face' explorers. They started with a game where there were no first discoveries, no landable planets, no heatmaps, DSS, FSS, no AFMU, repair limpets, SRVs, oxygen packages, bio/geo signals, alien bases; nothing but holding one measly button to reveal a bunch of 2D textures. All that changed and the old guard just shrugs and goes all Calimero.

"It used to be unfinished" may be the worst argument on the pro side of a product's development I've yet to see.

Also, nowhere close to being a Boomer here. This isn't a generational issue, despite ED having a remarkably old wise player base.

"It used to be unfinished" may be the worst argument on the pro side of a product's development I've yet to see.
"ED never improved!!!!! 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 !"
"Actually, it demonstrably did..."
"Aha, so it used to be less than now!!!!! Gotcha!!!!"

I have no idea what your point is. The game is demonstrably improving, and yes that means the past is worse than the future. By all means, be as sad and frustrated as you want to be, and share it with as many people as you want. Not sure what the point is, but knock yourself out.

We havent seen EDO's final form yet. Personally im going to wait a month or so after release to judge it. They should have the first bug fixes in by then.
Other than that, i would say that we are looking at a few years of minor bug fixes, verbal appeasement, flashy cosmetic gimmicks and general apathy from FD. Just judging from the last major update.
Corporations dont move except to limit loss or gain revenue, id say FD will get away with as much or as little as we let them.
Well Said 👍

I would like to see some improvements to BGS and Power Play.

For landable earth-likes or water worlds, they might come down-the-line but I would expect that kind of work would be painstaking enough to require a sequel.

I stopped "expecting" awhile ago, not sure exactly when. It's just easier that way. I'm no longer excited about Odyssey, but I'm not disappointed either. I'm just taking whatever comes as it comes. Even if Frontier totally destroys the base game I'm currently playing, I "finished" it in the sense that I've checked off all the boxes that I wanted to check off. That doesn't mean that I don't still get enjoyment from it (especially as a VR title, of which ED is the best IMO). If anything, it's easier to enjoy the game as it is without dwelling on what the game could or should or might be.

iu

Of course I would be thrilled beyond measure if Frontier gave us proper atmospheric worlds, water worlds, gas giants we can dip into, comets, and nameless other cool features on everyone's wish list. That's why I'll never delete ED from my drive until the servers shut down, despite whether I currently play it or not, because who knows what Frontier might have up their sleeves? It's also why I keep getting drawn back to this particular game forum despite my efforts to quit.

I think most updates for the foreseeable future will probably focus on Odyssey. So if you like Fps games you're in luck. If not, too bad.

Top Bottom