what are your expectations for future updates of this game?

Also, props on the enormous sentence. That thing is chonker than my T10. ;)

Edit: raw media link for those whom, like me, the forum is screwed up for; youtube.com/watch?v=sAoi1M-nlVk&t=1770s
I backed Exo One on Kickstarter, all becaus of the planet tech the dev is using (and its good fun)

I backed Exo One on Kickstarter, all becaus of the planet tech the dev is using (and its good fun)

Never heard of it, only recently saw that vid. Can you imagine flying your ships above an ocean with rain streaming across your canopy with that level of graphics? I'd buy that without hesitation.

When the KS went live in 2012 and made the claims it did, I was hopeful.
Reading the DDF while the game was being developed I was over the moon.
When the game launched in Dec 2014 i was A) suprised at how quickly they'd made what they had and B) hopeful that the pace would continue to Planetary landings and ship interiors a few years later

We then go a few lackluster updates, Squadrons with no AI wings, CQC and powerplay.

Finally the planet landings were coming in Horizons.......... except only on a specific set of worlds. This list of worlds never grew. The planet side activities never grew.
Beyond launched a few thins that I've already forgotten, (except for the mining update and exploration changes which were IMHO excellent).

Now space legs is taking it's first step after years of discussion..... except the only place most of us want to walk.... we can't.

Given what's happened to Elite so far, I think it's fare to say my expectations for the future are pretty low. Maybe a few new base layouts. Maybe some Alien to pew-pew. Maybe a few new guns (to pew those aliens). But by now, I'm not expecting ship interiors. I'm not expecting earlike wolds or animals or big game hunting.
Surely if you have been following since the Kickstarter, you know full well that the original roadmap was put on ice after Horizons because of technical debt which is why the Horizons content was unfulfilled (the Season release cycle of add-ons basically ate itself). The free Beyond Season was a thankyou for your patience food voucher. You can not extrapolate the lull after Horizons to equal the future because it was an unexpected one off. You can only reach your conclusion once you understand the mid-term roadmap after Odyssey launches, ie what is the true scale of the ambition of "New Era".

Surely if you have been following since the Kickstarter, you know full well that the original roadmap was put on ice after Horizons because of technical debt which is why the Horizons content was unfulfilled (the Season release cycle of add-ons basically ate itself). The free Beyond Season was a thankyou for your patience food voucher. You can not extrapolate the lull after Horizons to equal the future because it was an unexpected one off. You can only reach your conclusion once you understand the mid-term roadmap after Odyssey launches, ie what is the true scale of the ambition of "New Era".
I've been following the game since 2012 and although I pretty much stopped playing in mid 2017 I have followed the development. Not so much on this forum, but with my friends to play and I watch enough youtube content on the game that I consider myself fairly well informed.

I've never heard of this Technical debt though. What do you mean by that?

Maybe not yours, obviously...
But I'm certain I read in the alpha forum posts saying exactly that, why not try reading there?

citation?
(being the favourite response here :ROFLMAO:)
giphy.gif

i'll be completely disconnected from reality because it's not fun to make realistic statements about expectations from fdev.

Post Odyssey Patch #1: The great rebalance
* Proper balance pass between ship, vehicle, and foot - making on-foot gameplay extremely risky (like you're always playing 1 vs spec ops team instances)

* Engineer items all uninsurable. Special abilities all removed. Engineers only augment existing attributes of the base item.

* Commodity (open board) trading is eliminated. All commodities are purchased and sold thru mission givers who spawn with values and quantities that depend on regional stability / security and local scarcity. This allows for risk/threat control to be linked with reward to better balance income rates for mining/trade. it also eliminates stupid spreadsheets - which is a lazy 30 year old ui design for this genre.

* large ship maneuverability properly balanced against small ships and their weapon damage (small, medium,large, huge) all properly balanced. Large ships will have to utilize slf's or wingmen in smaller ships to dogfight smaller ships and smaller ships would have to team up to really succeed against larger ships.

* Npcs / gamestate does not change upon re-instancing except for the loss of human players if the previous instance was shared with any.

Post Odyssey Patch #2: Deadly Space
* Add environmental hazards to certain systems and/or sectors. These hazards would include radiation (new damage type) and hazardous anomalies that would occur in various places (both in normal space and supercruise - either system wide or localized around certain places). Certain kinds of stars / systems ...and certain regions of the galaxy would be more likely to have worse hazards than others. The rewards for scanning items in hazardous areas scales with the hazards. Non-hazardous areas will be scaled down to reflect their safety.

* AI sentry threat added throughout the galaxy with a certain distance around the bubbles being avoided. The ai sentries do not care to attack the bubbles but will attack explorers the further away they are. This influences the rewards for scanning. AI threats range in hostility and quantity based on an unknown criteria surrounding their overall narrative/story. AI threats will trigger interdiction and the interdiction mini-game will be entirely different from pirates with the escape process entirely different as well. Involving being able to hand-shake the local ai sentries if any exist in a system - allowing you to be relatively safe from those within the system if successful and potentially discover secrets by following them ..etc.

* Space Cats added to deal with the added hazards of space. Your Space Cat follows you and accompany you in your cockpit but first you must befriend one at a station (all stations have space cats roaming feral). Space Cats can sense certain anomalies / hazards and interesting/valuable/hidden things (if they emit some kind of radiation / or sound if on tenuous planet) and notify the pilot thru meows and purrs. Space cats will go with you on planetary vehicles (but stays with the vehicle / ships and doesn't go on-foot).

Imagine you want to build a car and, to get things going with what you have, you build the engine with some . . . questionable design choices, out of then-necessity, and it all works out. Great! But then whenever you want to add features, they require far more labor and cost than it should because you have to work around previously-mentioned design choices.

That is technical debt in a nutshell. Either you stop and fix the root issues, or continue to face mounting costs and challenges until it does you in.

Droll one-liner about a game that hasnt even been launched aside it is fun to speculate and there is enough evidence to look on the bright side rather than forever navel gazing at Horizons circa 2015-1017.

• This is the start of a "New Era", we had the cut off of the old era with the "thank you" video in December. We can not formulate a mid-term view as Odyssey is just the first reveal of the New Era.
  • Odyssey like Horizons and the Base Game at 1.0 is revealing a number of new deeper technologies for the game that can only have had all the investment put in if the plan is for them to be fleshed out and monetised in the future, this is a business that needs to grow. For Odyssey these are namely: Planet Tech with geomes and texture art assets, atmospheres, genetic based life forms, NPC AI and on foot mechanics.
  • Horizons was abandoned as a vehicle for the big Kickstarter headline content updates and it has now been superceeded by Odyssey, Odyssey is a reboot of Horizons and the gateway to the New Era.
  • It was stated back in the beginning that they had the tech for all the big wishlist items but it was the unique gameplay that would take development time and planning, Odyssey basically introduces the key gameplay enabler for everything else... on foot mechanics and handheld devices. Ship Interiors, more complex planets, living planets, animals, larger settlements and cities all need that vital ingredient to allow for unique gameplay potental to sell them as premium content updates.
  • Money talks and they will want a big investment on the long development time to get to launching the New Era (its been nearly 6 years since the last premium DLC). Elite Dangerous II would have only made sense after Horizons was abandoned, not now. Is New Era "Elite Dangerous II"?
  • Odyssey will get content updates, perhaps Christmas holiday season to keep the sales up but I think they will be looking to launch the other big ticket items as premium content packs (independent of Odyssey? Who knows) but I doubt any business plan would seriously consider another 3+ year gap.
  • I think Odyssey will get free updates with new planet types, POIs, organics, buildings, missions and vehicles (inc ships) linked to the Story Arc which was claimed to be about 2 years long 6 months ago, which suspiciously sounds like a good time for the life span of a DLC to me.

Last edited:
I've been following the game since 2012 and although I pretty much stopped playing in mid 2017 I have followed the development. Not so much on this forum, but with my friends to play and I watch enough youtube content on the game that I consider myself fairly well informed.

Horizons was continuing the Seasons model of promising a bunch of headline features in advance while attempting to then release them as add ons in a timely manner for everyone who paid upfront, the release cycle was a hectic quarterly one. But as Star Citizen has found that is basically just feature creep in disguise and it can quickly fall apart. Horizons over-ran its anticipated year schedule into 18 months, there was no time to go back and improve stuff or iterate content as they had to work on the next promise. By that time the game was 3 years old and had just had content added to it. Code that is constantly added to will eventually become an unweildy mess that becomes ever more inefficient to work with and you have to decide whether to abandon it or sort it out. Beyond Season was freebie and a rework of a lot of the core content but no time to redo Horizons stuff as they basically had already decided to cut the technologies revealed in Horizons (e.g. planet tech and multicrew) and concentrate on New Era, which Odyssey is a first reveal. Whether that strategy worked or not can only really be concluded after the next update. The quality of updates inbetween and the length of time to the next DLC will be the telling picture, not necessarily Odyssey itself in isolation.

Nah, just here. If you want to hear the average vibe in the community, for better or worse, check Reddit. DD has no downvote option so here you hear a variety of vocal minorities. These folks would be downvoted into the stone age elsewhere, so here they are. :)
I think it's both weird and sad that some people spend such large chunks of their time trolling a forum for a game that they don't even like.

It's just such a pathetic waste of time; we live in a world where, if you don't like a game, there are probably plenty of other options out there you might actually enjoy. That's not to say that I love everything about Elite, or don't think that it could be improved in a great many ways, but if I was as outright miserable as these people are with it, I would have moved on half a decade ago.

I think the best thing to do is just let these sad folks waste their time however they like while ignoring them; thus minimizing the amount of our time they waste in turn.

Horizons was continuing the Seasons model of promising a bunch of headline features in advance while attempting to then release them as add ons in a timely manner for everyone who paid upfront, the release cycle was a hectic quarterly one. But as Star Citizen has found that is basically just feature creep in disguise and it can quickly fall apart. Horizons over-ran its anticipated year schedule into 18 months, there was no time to go back and improve stuff or iterate content as they had to work on the next promise. By that time the game was 3 years old and had just had content added to it. Code that is constantly added to will eventually become an unweildy mess that becomes ever more inefficient to work with and you have to decide whether to abandon it or sort it out. Beyond Season was freebie and a rework of a lot of the core content but no time to redo Horizons stuff as they basically had already decided to cut the technologies revealed in Horizons (e.g. planet tech and multicrew) and concentrate on New Era, which Odyssey is a first reveal. Whether that strategy worked or not can only really be concluded after the next update. The quality of updates inbetween and the length of time to the next DLC will be the telling picture, not necessarily Odyssey itself in isolation.
Yeah; I tend to think of Odyssey itself as a foundational piece; far more complete than Horizons was at its release, but also a new basis from which to update the game with new content and features for the next few years to come without the rigid expectations that Horizons' model brought with it. It's just the beginning of what we will see grow over time.

All I want is better netcode and multiple light sources - literally the same thing I've wanted since I started playing.

Call me easy, my boyfriend does.

Top Bottom