what are your expectations for future updates of this game?

hello commanders, this post of mine is to discuss the future of our beloved game, the frontier has been developing dlc odyssey for over a year, I would like to discuss whether you think we will ever have possibility of landing on planets with water, I imagine that water is very difficult to implement in a game and from what we have seen the frontier is not very good at implementing these technologies, at the same time that the game seems infinite in possibilities, many of these possibilities are impossible in fact, planets on a 1: 1 scale with nothing to do or explore, if a single planet in odyssey was done well, there should be things for all players to explore without them meeting each other on the surface so big are the planets, but my biggest doubt is water, do you think the frontier will ever put water on the landable planets? or other types of liquids? do you have any experience of this? and the interior of the ships do you think we will ever have?

Last edited:
In the long-term, I'm sure many of those things will eventually happen, but the question is whether or not they will happen in this game, or the next one.

Elite dangerous 2 will almost certainly happen at some point; probably when it becomes more trouble than it's worth to prop up the existing mechanics, rather than reset with new, better implemented ones.

As far as the short-term is concerned, though, I think we can expect thargoid ground combat, and guardian weapons to accompany it, though doubtless not immediately; I imagine we will start out with ax weapons like before, and then we'll gradually progress into better Guardian technology.

I'm guessing we'll see one or two new ships, although I doubt they'll be the focus of content moving forward. More likely a combination of new variants of existing ships, plus the occasional Nostalgia bait, like remade ships from older games.

I'd like to think we'll have some continuing rebalancing of various mechanics like PowerPlay or piracy. Not really new content, but seeing as very few people use them at present, essentially the same thing.

Overall, I would expect things to pretty much continue as they have thus far; gradual improvements and additions, interspersed by long periods of relatively meaningless Community goals and galnet articles.

hello commanders, this post of mine is to discuss the future of our beloved game, the frontier has been developing dlc odyssey for over a year and unfortunately it was far below everyone's expectations, I would like to discuss whether you think we will ever have possibility of landing on planets with water, I imagine that water is very difficult to implement in a game and from what we have seen the frontier is not very good at implementing these technologies, at the same time that the game seems infinite in possibilities, many of these possibilities are impossible in fact, planets on a 1: 1 scale with nothing to do or explore, if a single planet in odyssey was done well, there should be things for all players to explore without them meeting each other on the surface so big are the planets, but my biggest doubt is water, do you think the frontier will ever put water on the landable planets? or other types of liquids? do you have any experience of this? and the interior of the ships do you think we will ever have?
They introduced volumetric water in their zoo theme park game so I'm sure they can. Adding meaningful gameplay to it... I really start to doubt it...

the frontier has been developing dlc odyssey for over a year and unfortunately it was far below everyone's expectations, ...
Bhah, wrong in so many levels that I don't even want to respond. But seems I allready did... Crap.

Anyhow, I hope next big dlc is ship interiors.

And by the way, I like Odyssey allready. Very. Much. But there is a lot of work to be done with it too, we will see how much after the live release. So not expecting big dlc's (ship interiors!) anytime soon.

hello commanders, this post of mine is to discuss the future of our beloved game, the frontier has been developing dlc odyssey for over a year and unfortunately it was far below everyone's expectations, I would like to discuss whether you think we will ever have possibility of landing on planets with water, I imagine that water is very difficult to implement in a game and from what we have seen the frontier is not very good at implementing these technologies, at the same time that the game seems infinite in possibilities, many of these possibilities are impossible in fact, planets on a 1: 1 scale with nothing to do or explore, if a single planet in odyssey was done well, there should be things for all players to explore without them meeting each other on the surface so big are the planets, but my biggest doubt is water, do you think the frontier will ever put water on the landable planets? or other types of liquids? do you have any experience of this? and the interior of the ships do you think we will ever have?

And breathe.

I don't care about any of those things. I don't want to grub around on planet surfaces like some kind of meat puppet in a golf cart. If I could roll the game back to pre-Horizons and replace everything added since December 2015 with enhanced interstellar trading, starship combat and fleet/crew management features, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

And breathe.

I don't care about any of those things. I don't want to grub around on planet surfaces like some kind of meat puppet in a golf cart. If I could roll the game back to pre-Horizons and replace everything added since December 2015 with enhanced interstellar trading, starship combat and fleet/crew management features, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Sounds to me like this was never really the game for you.

Maybe something like the X series of games would suit your tastes better over wishing this game would be something it never was meant to be.

In the long-term, I'm sure many of those things will eventually happen, but the question is whether or not they will happen in this game, or the next one.

Elite dangerous 2 will almost certainly happen at some point; probably when it becomes more trouble than it's worth to prop up the existing mechanics, rather than reset with new, better implemented ones.

As far as the short-term is concerned, though, I think we can expect thargoid ground combat, and guardian weapons to accompany it, though doubtless not immediately; I imagine we will start out with ax weapons like before, and then we'll gradually progress into better Guardian technology.

I'm guessing we'll see one or two new ships, although I doubt they'll be the focus of content moving forward. More likely a combination of new variants of existing ships, plus the occasional Nostalgia bait, like remade ships from older games.

I'd like to think we'll have some continuing rebalancing of various mechanics like PowerPlay or piracy. Not really new content, but seeing as very few people use them at present, essentially the same thing.

Overall, I would expect things to pretty much continue as they have thus far; gradual improvements and additions, interspersed by long periods of relatively meaningless Community goals and galnet articles.
Seeing how slow it is to add content to ED1, i doubt they will ever attempt at ED2.
Will probably just add Thargoid Galaxy instead with new Ships and Space Combat like in Star Citizen in order to capture a wider audience. Because by that time SC will probably be released, and it will be stealing players from 15 year old ED.

I didn't have high expectations, FD delivered what I expected: an MVP - the bare minimum.

Instead of expanding the planets with liquids etc, I'd like them to flesh out all areas of the game first. For example: Improve upon PowerPlay, multi-crew, piracy, smuggling that could have been great elements of the game, but have been left abandoned. Improve upon the game play that will be delivered in Odyssey, I think we've seen the major game play in Alpha.

After another hefty 'Beyond' type release, then maybe FD should consider liquids etc.

Edit: Elite Dangerous 2 won't happen for a very very long time. ED will be built upon and evolve, making a sequel largely redundant.

Last edited:
We havent seen EDO's final form yet. Personally im going to wait a month or so after release to judge it. They should have the first bug fixes in by then.
Other than that, i would say that we are looking at a few years of minor bug fixes, verbal appeasement, flashy cosmetic gimmicks and general apathy from FD. Just judging from the last major update.
Corporations dont move except to limit loss or gain revenue, id say FD will get away with as much or as little as we let them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom