Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Similar to how repeat medal winners get a silver/gold star/oak leaf cluster, the game should reward people who 'reboot' by having something to indicate how many times you re-Elited.
That would be a great thing to have!
The thing that immediately springs to mind are ranks. We all start, and unfortunately end :LOL:, as commanders.
If we instead started as ensigns (Which to my knowledge is the lowest rank when one becomes a navy pilot) we could gain a rank with each "playthrough" (let's say the endpoint after which we would be eligible for a promotion upon restart could be gaining one Elite rank to avoid forcing people to grind)

That would be a great thing to have!
The thing that immediately springs to mind are ranks. We all start, and unfortunately end :LOL:, as commanders.
If we instead started as ensigns (Which to my knowledge is the lowest rank when one becomes a navy pilot) we could gain a rank with each "playthrough" (let's say the endpoint after which we would be eligible for a promotion upon restart could be gaining one Elite rank to avoid forcing people to grind)

And of course NIGHTMARE MODE. Only can fly in open and you blow up, its permanent.

Also, if its just 1 Elite rank to allow promotion on reboot, I can imagine FC owners boosting their alt accounts cos you can rank up trader real quick if you have an FC supplying cheap goods.

Youch. Two 'Vettes. Was fighting one for a mission when my second pirate mission objective jumped into the same instance - one deadly, one dangerous. That was a bit hairy.

Deadly opponents seem to rebuff their shields more often than other ranks... even elite.

Back to the comp nav beacon for some more shooty of small fry.

Youch. Two 'Vettes. Was fighting one for a mission when my second pirate mission objective jumped into the same instance - one deadly, one dangerous. That was a bit hairy.

Deadly opponents seem to rebuff their shields more often than other ranks... even elite.

Back to the comp nav beacon for some more shooty of small fry.

Was bounty hunting a list of pirates recently and while fighting one, another one jumped in but Pirate #2 was shooting at #1 (both were red on my sensor). And #1 and #2 were from the same faction. Happened to me about 3 times that run. Is it a bug?

Was bounty hunting a list of pirates recently and while fighting one, another one jumped in but Pirate #2 was shooting at #1 (both were red on my sensor). And #1 and #2 were from the same faction. Happened to me about 3 times that run. Is it a bug?
I don't know whether it's a bug of feature, but it's been happening in HazRES since the beginning.
I don't think they take faction into consideration. They scan each other, see the other one is wanted and just blast away god bless them. :LOL:

Think of it as a bonus and just keep plinking away at whichever one seems to be doing best at the time while you enjoy the show. Just make sure that when it gets near the end you gets some hits in on the loser to be sure that you can count the kill.

Last edited:
Off mining for a bit. Don't want to experience burn-out in combat even though I really want elite combat to complete the (currently) triumvirate. It won;t happen before Odyssey goes live though, at which point there'll be another elite discipline to gain :D

I need to look and see whether on-foot combat counts to combat rank...

Off mining for a bit. Don't want to experience burn-out in combat even though I really want elite combat to complete the (currently) triumvirate. It won;t happen before Odyssey goes live though, at which point there'll be another elite discipline to gain :D

I need to look and see whether on-foot combat counts to combat rank...
there are combat CG's on this week if that helps?
on the ranks I thought there was a new rank for on foot combat called "Mercenary"

I am both Defenseless and Directionless in the 2 new Elite ranks (Mercenary and Exobiology). I actually don't like that new ranks are being added. But that's that.

I'm planning to sink some of the profits from my combat stuff into buying Tritium for the carrier. When Odyssey hits I want to be free to roam :)

I am both Defenseless and Directionless in the 2 new Elite ranks (Mercenary and Exobiology). I actually don't like that new ranks are being added. But that's that.

I'm planning to sink some of the profits from my combat stuff into buying Tritium for the carrier. When Odyssey hits I want to be free to roam :)
I don't mind the new rank types and being on console gives me plenty of time to get to elite combat (currently 31% dangerous)
what grates me is the additional levels beyond elite being added

Think of it as a bonus and just keep plinking away at whichever one seems to be doing best at the time while you enjoy the show. Just make sure that when it gets near the end you gets some hits in on the loser to be sure that you can count the kill.
Unless it is an Elite wing mission (FDL + 2/3 vulture), the solot elite/dangerous bounty hunts are not much of a threat.

Was just curious if it was a bug, since #2 starts shooting at #1 unprovoked.

In other news, thinking if I want to take the dive to buy the FC. Itching to go to Rackham's. The hammerhead FC kit looks like Great A'tuin.....

There’s an Xbox PvP event coming up, more details likely coming soon.

Since carriers are cross platform, anyone could hitch a ride just to see the sights.

CAEB2FE9-56FC-47A3-981E-E13E8969AB37.jpg

EDIT TO ADD: Link to Event server. They will be departing from Bunda

Last edited:
Noooooo, Odyssey has been removed from my launcher. I was playing that literally twos of times. 😭

I'm really just looking forward to (hopefully optimised) updated visuals at this point but it's always nice to have extra gameplay options.

And by gameplay I don't mean grindy engineering malarky.

And by gameplay I don't mean grindy engineering malarky.
Aww, but that's what made me into the semi-skilled pilot I am today. Engineering is what drove me to do so many activities that I'd never have tried otherwise. Some turned out to be fun enough that I kept doing them. Some...didn't. :)

It's interesting, though, how different people react to stuff. I never found Engineering particularly grindy. Not nearly as grindy as making my first billion doing long-distance trade runs in the Anaconda. Geez that seems like a lifetime ago, but that was grindy. Getting my first Elite was worth it though, back then.

Right now I've been doing lots of massacre missions to build up my credits so I can buy lots of Tritium. Most people don't consider combat 'grindy', but I do. You just kill ship after ship after ship -- they all fade into one after a while and I stop caring. It's still fun enough that I don't mind, but it's pretty darn grindy if you ask me.

My wife loves the end-game 'grind' in World of Warcraft. She's always way ahead of me on anything that requires repeating the same quests. She enjoys doing them over and over, and I just find it kind of meh, so I don't do it much. Such is gamer life. We're all different. Hey, at least she likes games and doesn't get upset with me playing as much as I do.

The good part is that it's all optional. We can each choose what we enjoy the most.

I'm already looking forward to the new Engineering for the suits. I'm sure it'll be pretty grindy, but it will also give me a reason to engage with the new content in ways I probably wouldn't without the upgrade carrot :)

12 days to go...

I don't mind engineering either - one of two of the unlocks are a bit annoying though; like those where you can only buy a certain amount of a commodity so you have to repeat the journey multuple times. Unlocking Palin was good though as it taught me how to fly and, in the end, how to scoop.

Combat is grindy for me. I was enjoying it till I got to deadly but now I have to shoot so many ships it's quite unfunny. Still, the original Elite was a bit like that too so it's in keeping I s'pose.

I'm also looking forward to the new engineering. I did take a quick squizz at required materials and didn't recognise many so it looks like a whole new mat gathering exercise is incoming. But it'll be fun as it'll be new. Less than two weeks away now so... soon™ If all goes well. Can't remember if the same engineers will do the stuff or if there'll be a new set of engineers to unlock.

And... I think... I've had enough mining too for now so... guardians, here I come!

Last edited:
I've still been watching Odyssey vids and I've only been hearing people talk about new engineers. I'm not sure where they got that from.

Either way, I imagine there'll need to be some ingame reason for it, which might be tricky.

But I agree that whether the grind is fun or annoying tends to be in the eye of the beholder. A skilled designer should be able to make it fun for a large swathe of people. I've been unlocking weapons in Hunt Showdown and they've managed to incorporate it into regular gameplay quite well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom