Well Frontier killed mining.... why is it we shoe horn activities?

Carriers and multiple hotspots have the limelight now.
And so they should, it's the Natural order of things, dont have a Fleet Carrier? Then you are "little people" now, something to be ignored and controled.

Just hitch a ride on a FC to New Borran, and mine there, bunk on a friendly FC. They arrive and leave daily from the 4k Tritium buy systems, especially the large pad ones, currently "Metzili" system.

Double hotspot..., a hotspot should be a hotspot, we shouldn't be searching for double hotspots to get a "hotspot" exactly my point.
My point is that I haven’t gone out of my way searching for multiple overlapping anythings. I’ve been mining the same rings for two years. They are major reserves rings not pristine, in the bubble, a short jump from my home system. The FC resource reshuffle eliminated my VO cash cows, but the same reshuffle dropped an LTD2 in my lap. Really, how broken is that?

Last edited:
Why not?

Which has more potential gameplay and interest:
  • every hotspot of a particular type is exactly identical, once you've found one you've seen them all
  • hotspots have different qualities (and different places within a hotspot have different qualities) making prospecting for them and finding the best one also part of the game

People don't generally go around suggesting that all systems be identical to take the luck out of exploration, or all markets should be identical to take the luck out of trading, or all NPCs should be identical to take the luck out of combat.

(Even a single hotspot is better than an unmarked bit of the ring, though)
What about a quintuple-plus good hotspot? Octuple, maybe?

People are after the money. And, getting it in the shortest period of time. The galaxy is being searched like never before, for money making locations. Sure, mathematically, it would be a long time before we ran out of such, but we are now well past PNR into Theater Of The Absurd. Look at the carriers in the Metzli system, for an example. All of that is about money. Money is driving the higher player numbers.

How many would have believed, two years ago, that T-9's, and Cutters would be just shuttlecraft for bigger player assets?

The game master has lost it.

What about a quintuple-plus good hotspot? Octuple, maybe?
I suspect 8s don't exist - has anyone ever seen eight overlapped hotspots of different minerals, even?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's a 5 out there, though. Well, it's more practical than the search for Raxxla and has about as many clues, so good luck to them finding it!

People have been complaining for ages that exploration didn't have anything actually meaningful to find, and now there is.

Money is driving the higher player numbers.
Maybe. Player activity in the Colonia region is at record highs in the last month, both in terms of single-day peak and 28-day average, and there's nothing particularly good for making money with by bubble standards - LTD and Tritium prices are usually more modest, the best hotspots found so far locally are only doubles.

Even in so far as money is driving it, I think for most people it's the "making money" rather than the "having money" bit that's of interest. Plenty of the people still out there mining, or running carriers, or pirating or murdering around the big hotspots must already have more money than they'll ever actually be able to spend.

Why not?

Which has more potential gameplay and interest:
  • every hotspot of a particular type is exactly identical, once you've found one you've seen them all
  • hotspots have different qualities (and different places within a hotspot have different qualities) making prospecting for them and finding the best one also part of the game

People don't generally go around suggesting that all systems be identical to take the luck out of exploration, or all markets should be identical to take the luck out of trading, or all NPCs should be identical to take the luck out of combat.

(Even a single hotspot is better than an unmarked bit of the ring, though)

if you could find double hotspots through a skill based game loop, or hints left in the game i'd agree but its just RNG, we were given the tools to make mining fun, and now its been nerfed its just obfrustraction again requiring us to search system after system or just go to new boran with a SLF to actually do the thing we logged onto ED to actually do rather than spending our time flying from system to system to finally find a suitable mining hotspot for 2 minutes before you need to turn the computer off, then repeat again the next time you log on.

Exploration is no comparison, there's a systematic approach to yield results (as well as scanning everything and hoping for the best if you dont know what you're doing), i.e if you want a ringed ammonia world, you know exactly where to look, if you want planetary nebula, they stare you in the face, if you want stellar phenomenon or geological & even biological planet side stuff, there are proven ways to find them! it isnt stab in the dark RNG, and this was all pre FSS and the discovery scanner showing locations a true QoL improvement.

trading.. your joking right, the 3rd party database no-one uses? the in game trade routes no-one uses? galactic average etc.etc. there's no "luck" in trading only stupidity

We have mining tools which are pointless - LTD hotspots and pristine rings..... meh just prospect each "hotspot" until your fingers bleed, apparently its "gameplay & interest" these tools are meant to aid us, not give us false hope.

I actually enjoy the prospector part of the mining game. Sadly you only have to find a double Painite/triple LTD spot once and are set for life then as they never deplete.

I do agree with OP at some point like , the effect of an overlap is to much compared to single hotspot. And nerf were based on LTD3 overlap, making regular hotspot really painfull to mine.

On another note , giving the current LTD price and some others "rare" minerals,regular hotspot seems to have what a miner should wait in term of income/hour (i mean it match rest of the game). Problem is , if you search for one and only one mineral like we all do now , it may become very frustrating not finding it.

Remember that when mining was not so OP, people (well me at least) used to mine MULTIPLE mineral at the same time , and sell all to make profit.

Again , i like the "life" it gave to ED atm , but I really feel like it need to be tuned down a bit.

Also Seeing clear exploit unpunished and not hammered/hotfixed really sadden me. regular LTD mining is "still" 300M/h if not mapped. What will comes next ? 2/3billion /hour ?

I don't quite understand, billions of rings out there, you had 2 hours bad luck, so the solution is to join the others with this stupid SLF trick? And mining is dead?

Considering the rocks are persistent, rather then relogging, jump into SC and drop out at another area, you can fit entire continents into most of these hotspots.

You'll never get LTD3/4 rates. Unless it is about making a billion in 2 hours, whats the big deal?
I have a sample size of 3 attempts, and had similar results. Did much better laser mining, or shipping tritium. Unfortunately that is boring AF.

Just yesterday went into new Borann triple hotspot, just to see what the fuss is all about and gotta say, it's crazy.

But it also was pretty fun. Didn't have that much fun with mining in a good while. I wasn't using any exploits, but how this gameplay pans out, I really-really hope FD takes some notes and improves mining further.

Right now, at least judging by this hotspot, it's most engaging and busy gameplay Elite has, at all, if you can imagine. Finding cores, decent deposits or sub-surface spots is very easy, and so you be constantly switching between laser mining, missiles and charges in short phases of looking for more rocks. Keeping up with fast spinning asteroid, blasting it with missiles, aiming for biggest yield in Type 9 was even more exciting and required much more skill than I have to put up in any combat I did so far.

Before that, even in overlap Vopal hotspot, you could easily fly 40 minutes or more without finding single core, and mining anything other than core was useless, so gameplay was quickly getting old. I wish in regular mining, frequency of useable asteroids would be increased a tad bit, at least as in double overlap.

Some notes on balancing:
  • Cores should be a bit more rare, but have biggest yield of all.
  • Sub-Surface should still be a thing and profitable one, but yield should definitely be reduced. I think I was getting almost ~100 chunks from single deposit, and that's really not okay.
  • High and medium yield asteroids for lasermining must be slightly increased.
  • And most important of all: Gold rushes must stop. I mean, it absolutely doesn't make sense... LTDs aren't popcorn, how do certain systems run through them to have such a crazy demand with ridiculous pricing for so long? Just imagine how much have been delivered! Dividing bubble sectors by demand based on production, according to system specific could be great. Everyone would choose what to mine and where, not all flock in single ring in whole galaxy bleeding it dry.

Overall, in terms of gameplay and fun factor mining is in good place right now, with few tweaks it definitely is, but creating artificial boom like that is bad. As it makes other activities, including mining, obsolete, not for all people but for many, as we can see. People don't feel like doing anything else makes any sense, because it's like thousand times less rewarding, plus boring.

Last edited:
I spent my last 3-4 hour long sessions doing laser mining with a Cutter. Made 1.5 billion. Now off to play Bgs, maybe buy a second Beluga. Works for me!

One thing people don't appreciate is the complexity of the game. Mining, with its three types, has a learning curve that can make all the difference. Stick with it. Enjoy the game.
Wow! I have played the game right from the release.. I have travelled to the far reaches of the galaxy and back again, then back out again.. I have accumulated 500 million credits in my bank after all those years and bought a few ships, upgraded them, lost them and so on....I have tried my hand at all different missions including mining, bounty hunting and guardian sites.. 1.5 billion in 3-4 hours... damn I am doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Wow! I have played the game right from the release.. I have travelled to the far reaches of the galaxy and back again, then back out again.. I have accumulated 500 million credits in my bank after all those years and bought a few ships, upgraded them, lost them and so on....I have tried my hand at all different missions including mining, bounty hunting and guardian sites.. 1.5 billion in 3-4 hours... damn I am doing something wrong.
Not if you had fun you didn't. If money is not overly important to how you play, then it's not a problem.

Completely normal experience of a casual player. You plan to to something and gather some sort of items, then you waste your time trying for hours and have no idea if you're doing it wrong or if it's just RNG: That's Elite Dicerollous.
I noticed this long ago. It's frustrating. As you say, you outfit for an activity, then you do nothing but run into time sinks and roadblocks to said activity almost to the point of exhaustion, but prior to that you often give up for some other activity, like bounty hunting another res site. It's almost like the developers want to shoo you back into the petting zoo, away from the real animals you came to see, because they are not active or something is really wrong with them.
I do agree with OP at some point like , the effect of an overlap is to much compared to single hotspot. And nerf were based on LTD3 overlap, making regular hotspot really painfull to mine.

On another note , giving the current LTD price and some others "rare" minerals,regular hotspot seems to have what a miner should wait in term of income/hour (i mean it match rest of the game). Problem is , if you search for one and only one mineral like we all do now , it may become very frustrating not finding it.

Remember that when mining was not so OP, people (well me at least) used to mine MULTIPLE mineral at the same time , and sell all to make profit.

Again , i like the "life" it gave to ED atm , but I really feel like it need to be tuned down a bit.

Also Seeing clear exploit unpunished and not hammered/hotfixed really sadden me. regular LTD mining is "still" 300M/h if not mapped. What will comes next ? 2/3billion /hour ?
The devs in this game have a tendency to be penny wise and pound foolish. Doors and windows left open.. someone complains... too easy to get in.. They board up the doors but leave the windows wide open. Hey, we closed those unlocked door loopholes, no one should be able to get in now! Open windows? (crickets) (time and more time) we are aware of the windows being left open.. intended gameplay. Keep trying to find the key to the door! It's out there! (why, when the rest of the player base is using the window)

Aka keep trying to mine the way the game was intended to be played instead of the way the game was released, rely on your virtue to get you through.. ignore those credit farmers right next to you cashing in relentlessly while you pretend it's so hard to find high price minerals.

Last edited:
I think all is well.
Imagine - you played for over 100 hours.
You learned docking, flying, did some missions etc....

Credits are motivator for most people, but that is a misplaced goal.
There are secrets to uncover, credits are a temporary distraction.

After 100+ hours they should not be an issue, or you are missing big part of the game.
Mining is a good solution this.
Not perfect, I know, but good enough.

I think all is well.
Imagine - you played for over 100 hours.
You learned docking, flying, did some missions etc....

Credits are motivator for most people, but that is a misplaced goal.
There are secrets to uncover, credits are a temporary distraction.

After 100+ hours they should not be an issue, or you are missing big part of the game.
Mining is a good solution this.
Not perfect, I know, but good enough.
There is no such as a misplaced goal in the game. You get what you decide to get from it.

There is no such as a misplaced goal in the game. You get what you decide to get from it.
By that logic - why would devs even bother to change anything?
Players set their own goals, devs just ship whatever they want.

I understand motivation of gathering CRs.
I love numbers getting bigger.
That is/was also my goal. Not CRs themselves, but fastest way to make CRs.

If earning CRs is a thing you like to do - there is no reason to balance anything. You will have fun with or without few zeroes in your account.

But after all, CRs are just a means to an end, same as in life.
Imagine: you have infinite amount of CRs.
What does it change? You still need to hunt thargoids, go ruin salvaging, travel to SagA* etc if you want to experience most of the game.

Get your CRs, outfit your ship/FC, go into the black and have fun.
I prefer that to balanced mission grinding for a month to get anaconda.

If you prefer grinding - all is well. You can do it with or without CRs/mats in your hold.

That way both you and me can have fun playing the game as we want to.

So FDev has admitted, sort of, that HotSpots had been nerfed.

From the Patch Notes for Patch 3
"A bug with material distribution in overlapping hotspots was fixed and hotspost themselves we rebalanced. Now, the effect that each hotspot has on the base rarity of a commodity has been doubled. To counter this, hotspots of the same type which overlap will be less effective. The aim of thsese changes is to reduce the massive impact of overlapping hotspots while still ensuring they provide a higher yield than non-overlapping hotspots."

Yay \o/

By that logic - why would devs even bother to change anything?
Players set their own goals, devs just ship whatever they want.
Game goals != individual goals, so there are no misplaced individual goals. It's possible that game goals are misplaced if they cannot be completed or they lead to a dead end or undesired outcome. But how can a goal be misplaced? You want to do something, you do it. Devs do ship whatever they want.

It's not a misplaced goal to be credit fat, even if you don't agree with it.
I understand motivation of gathering CRs.
I love numbers getting bigger.
That is/was also my goal. Not CRs themselves, but fastest way to make CRs.

If earning CRs is a thing you like to do - there is no reason to balance anything. You will have fun with or without few zeroes in your account.
Non sequitur. You can have both balance and credit chasing. Chasing credits doesn't equal bot like behavior.
But after all, CRs are just a means to an end, same as in life.
Imagine: you have infinite amount of CRs.
What does it change? You still need to hunt thargoids, go ruin salvaging, travel to SagA* etc if you want to experience most of the game.
It's true that more credits won't get you to a magical elation place in the game. You don't need to experience all of anything to enjoy some of it. Many were content to explore and never fight a single time. For them, the chase is being lost and mapping along the way. Credits don't matter. For the credit chaser, maybe exploration doesn't matter. They don't need to eat everything on the menu to enjoy their meal.
Get your CRs, outfit your ship/FC, go into the black and have fun.
I prefer that to balanced mission grinding for a month to get anaconda.
You prefer it, that's up to you. That doesn't make what other people prefer "misplaced goals". There's been a constant message from some here that, if you're not doing it how they think you should, you're not doing it right. It's one thing to have that approach when offering advice about having fun (to someone who isn't having fun), but quite another to tell an entire group of players their goals are misplaced because they don't align with yours. No offense.
If you prefer grinding - all is well. You can do it with or without CRs/mats in your hold.

That way both you and me can have fun playing the game as we want to.
We can do that anyhow. What I decide to do doesn't change how you are able to play.

Top Bottom