Well Frontier killed mining.... why is it we shoe horn activities?

Was this a single LTD hotspot? I've found similar. Went prospecting for an hour or so in Alectrona (one of the gas giants has a single LTD hotspot) shortly after I bought my FC. I think I found a single LTD core.

It does seem that FD seem to have changed something that has had a detrimental effect - I used to do quite well mining in single hotspots.
Yup, Single Pristine HotSpots. The theory was that double or triple made no difference to Core Mining. The number of Cores remained the same but the percentage of Cores for that mineral was greater in a Hot Spot. Now that bias seems to have been drastically reduced if not eliminated all together.

Having pumped SubSurface Mining it's as if FDev have decided that all other forms of mining should be nerfed.

Not really been mining since the FC update but thought i would venture out...

This is not about credits per hour

so armed with an Orca, one seismic charge launcher, a sub surface missile launcher and a blaster, off mining we do go.

LTD are on the menu and all you need for those are a LTD hotspot, not to follow the Borann masses or the col sector whatever crowd, i thought i would just follow the in game process... Pristine ring and an ice ring.

So flew 400ly out, not far, using the fss to scan and found myself a pristine ring, it was 20kls away but hey ho its pristine, scanned the ring and LTD hotspot, fantastic!, so off i go and drop from SC.

Boost away from the obligatory pirate that just so happens to be in an unihabited system and at the exact same point i chose to drop into the hotspot, and he no longer follows me, like he thinks, "oh thats a miner who has just dropped in and he wont be going mining, so ill just wait here on the off chance someone does drop into the remote part of the universe into a mining hotspot already full of tasty cargo rather than just limpets... my kids will go hungry tonight because im a moron!"

Pirate mentality lol

anyway, so armed with the PWS i though armed to the teeth with prospectors, and all the tools, i just need to find glowing rocks this time, what could go wrong?

Well i will tell you want could go wrong... 1hr 45 minutes i spent drifting through that sad LTD hotspot, resetting the instance 3 times just in case, but over 100 rocks examined and yes i found cores and sub surface deposits galore... but Water, Methlate clagnuts, and more water.

for my efforts i did find a handful of LTD "special" asteroids and claimed about 20T if that from them as they were of course all low yield and had just the one sub surface deposit and wew always LTD + 80% minimum clagnuts so each fragment wasnt even pure...

so i flew back, thought sod that and thanks for a wasted 2 hours, got the cutter out and fighter exploited for 20 minutes for 100T of LTD from a mapped rock

so we can all probably sit here and say "nerf the SLF trick, fix it"

but i say "FIX MINING" fix the bleeding basics jesus... how unrewarding it is to go to a LTD hotspot and find nothing but water after water, even if every rock i found was LTD the rate i would be harvesting them in is nothing compared to taking opportunities left in the game

we all focus on these edge cases far too much and miss the actual problem in the game, so mutli double, triple hotspot mining becomes the only way to mine, because the nerfs frontier apply absolutely destroy casual outside of double and triple hotspot mining.

i sometimes have no hope for the future of ED...
Yeah, I did that same thing in a pristine LTD 2 and it was just completely devoid of diamonds. I think that when this whole gold rush ends, I'll go after painite instead. I think I heard that those actually spawn.

They cudda just had a maximum for resource numbers, which is what you find in the centre of a hotspot.

Then, three overlapping hotspots, would be just as good as a single hotspot centre.

Then it'd be easy to balance it.

IMHO you are missing the point. Back in the day mining was pure RNG (and low profit), people weren't happy. Then Frontier announced the big mining overhaul. Huzzah! We get new tools to help us with mining, people hoped we'd move from RNG to skill based game play.

But that turned out to be wrong. Frontier simply moved the RNG around a bit. Now you can find (overlapping) hotspots, if you're lucky. You can find asteroids with cores, if you're lucky (the pulse wave scanner may look nice, but the gameplay is still horrible).

The SRV scanner is still the most involved way to track things down, but that was added way back in 2.0, which was for a lot of players the last really great update to Elite so far.
It's almost as if the whole dedicated feedback forums the community contributed to was not only ignored but they went a step further to make it more RNG unfriendly and even more frustrating.

I'm used to "slow" mining sessions, finding a handful of rocks and re logging constantly to get better yeilds but recent attempts have been worse than anything i have experienced pre FC patch, and even pre QoL mining update.

so basically we're all back to where we were pre mining QoL update, and may as well strip mine in random locations... Fantastic gameplay there.....

unless you are only in it for the mindnumbing credits then new borran is the answer of course, if its fun gameplay then forget it.

Psst. There is zero RNG in mining.
I've been thinking about what you said and you're right. Every single rock in every ring must be mapped out in advance, with it's composition, otherwise you wouldn't be able to come back to a specific rock days, or weeks, later and repeat mine it. That's quite a scary thought in terms of the data in just 1 ring let alone every system that has been scanned.

Yeah being able to effectively mine at any hotspot would be nice.

Insert something sarcastic about frontier social media only etc etc etc

If the hotspots moved like trading stations that would be okay, but permanent rng and swarms of copying lemming chumps not so much. Really? They've given the exploit an endearing slang name? Really?

Meanwhile I’m out mining in the black and having no problems finding LTDs in cores, subsurface, and laserable. My mining ship carries all the mining tools so I can harvest from all the types. I found a couple of my own LTD2 spots, even, and they produce quite well.

But I have a lot of mining hours under my belt, starting from way back before the core stuff was added, and continuing until now. I enjoy mining, you see, so I’ve done a lot of it and still do.

I know for a fact that mining works fine right now. Empty spots are empty. Find another. They are all over the place.

I am finding quite a few void opal rocks where i am atm. I have only been mining for about 3 weeks though so am a late starter, but am really enjoying the core mining. I cna also recognise the shape of the rocks likely to have the cores as well now, so that has probably speeded up the mining for me. Maybe i have been lucky so far?

By the way, just in case it's not known, the EliteMiners group has been taking a survey of rings and hotspots since the last patch, and they have so far scouted over 21,000 rings. They have a spreadsheet of results. They have a tool that will read your journal files and tell you how good the hotspot you found is (you just have to go in and fire 100 prospectors and then submit the journal files).

In other words, if there really was a problem beyond simple RNG distribution we'd know, because the data would show it.

You can't judge the entire system by one commander's results in one hotspot.

I've been thinking about what you said and you're right. Every single rock in every ring must be mapped out in advance, with it's composition, otherwise you wouldn't be able to come back to a specific rock days, or weeks, later and repeat mine it. That's quite a scary thought in terms of the data in just 1 ring let alone every system that has been scanned.
It's more that every rock can be calculated if required in a fraction of a second.

Pre-generating the gigabytes per ring that would be needed would be impossible. Even keeping the data after any player had been there once would be incredibly wasteful. There's just an algorithm that given a position in a ring can consistently and quickly generate the nearby rocks.

(So there is RNG involved - in that the algorithm does not generate the asteroids in a rigid grid system where there's exactly one core per 100km^2 of ring, in the same place in each grid square, with the same contents - but all the random numbers are determined up front, rather than being freshly generated on every occasion)

Fun? I mine to relax, if I don't find anything decent, I move to a different area. Do people actually mine for fun? I guess cores are quite interesting, the first 10 times.
I mine for fun. I'm doing it all. Right now I'm in a courier exploding rocks.

On a side note, any word on the SLF exploit being patched? I've so far resisted using it to rack up scads of credits, but with each passing day my willpower fades.

I’ve been mining since before FD added the new tools or the exorbitant void opal / LTD prices. Back when you just laser mined and were on top of the world if you sold a few tons of panite for 120,000 cr. I’ve always mined in the same rings, just one jump from my home system. I was pleased with the new mining mechanics and high prices since what I was already doing was suddenly hugely profitable. I pulled 7 Bcr from these local rings. They had three productive and reliable void opal hotspots. Then, with the introduction of FCs and tritium, the material distributions got scrambled and my hotspots disappeared. Bummer, right? Except for this new double LTD hotspot in the same rings, from which I’ve already pulled almost 1 Bcr so far. So, no. Mining hasn’t been killed. It’s actually more interesting since now I typically deep core, subsurface drill and laser mine all in the same sortie. My specialty ships, a laser miner and two deep core miners, don’t get used as much as before.

Sure, sometimes you’re just not lucky. But like @777Driver says, just move to a different part of the hotspot. Being unlucky doesn’t mean something is broken.

Last edited:
I'm just running cargo and missions right now. I need to wait for my mining burnout to pass. I feel just as frustrated by mining, so I've given it up, for now.

Carriers and multiple hotspots have the limelight now. It's natural to feel frustrated when "normal" pursuits aren't much fun. That's when the game master should come in and shake things up, but Frontier is a lousy DM. :(

I’ve been mining since before FD added the new tools or the exorbitant void opal / LTD prices. Back when you just laser mined and were on top of the world if you sold a few tons of panite for 120,000 cr. I’ve always mined in the same rings, just one jump from my home system. I was pleased with the new mining mechanics and high prices since what I was already doing was suddenly hugely profitable. I pulled 7 Bcr from these local rings. They had three productive and reliable void opal hotspots. Then, with the introduction of FCs and tritium, the material distributions got scrambled and my hotspots disappeared. Bummer, right? Except for this new double LTD hotspot in the same rings, from which I’ve already pulled almost 1 Bcr so far. So, no. Mining hasn’t been killed. It’s actually more interesting since now I typically deep core, subsurface drill and laser mine all in the same sortie. My specialty ships, a laser miner and two deep core miners, don’t get used as much as before.

Sure, sometimes you’re just not lucky. But like @777Driver says, just move to a different part of the hotspot. Being unlucky doesn’t mean something is broken.
Double hotspot..., a hotspot should be a hotspot, we shouldn't be searching for double hotspots to get a "hotspot" exactly my point.

Double hotspot..., a hotspot should be a hotspot, we shouldn't be searching for double hotspots to get a "hotspot" exactly my point.
Why not?

Which has more potential gameplay and interest:
- every hotspot of a particular type is exactly identical, once you've found one you've seen them all
- hotspots have different qualities (and different places within a hotspot have different qualities) making prospecting for them and finding the best one also part of the game

People don't generally go around suggesting that all systems be identical to take the luck out of exploration, or all markets should be identical to take the luck out of trading, or all NPCs should be identical to take the luck out of combat.

(Even a single hotspot is better than an unmarked bit of the ring, though)

Why not?

Which has more potential gameplay and interest:
  • every hotspot of a particular type is exactly identical, once you've found one you've seen them all
  • hotspots have different qualities (and different places within a hotspot have different qualities) making prospecting for them and finding the best one also part of the game

People don't generally go around suggesting that all systems be identical to take the luck out of exploration, or all markets should be identical to take the luck out of trading, or all NPCs should be identical to take the luck out of combat.

(Even a single hotspot is better than an unmarked bit of the ring, though)
I agree, there should be a cap though - otherwise, we get what we have now, a totally unbalancable situation for the devs (seemingly)

I fired off over 300 prospectors yesterday, rolling around a single LTD hotspot in a T9, over a four hour period, reset twice... I found 4 rocks that had some form of LTD in them, totalling about 40t LTD. I swear my T9 is cursed!

The day before, different ring, in my Python, filled the 192t twice over in the same time period, some sub, some core, some surface.

This, for me, is the way mining has always been - good days and bad days.

Top Bottom