Well Frontier killed mining.... why is it we shoe horn activities?

Not really been mining since the FC update but thought i would venture out...

This is not about credits per hour

so armed with an Orca, one seismic charge launcher, a sub surface missile launcher and a blaster, off mining we do go.

LTD are on the menu and all you need for those are a LTD hotspot, not to follow the Borann masses or the col sector whatever crowd, i thought i would just follow the in game process... Pristine ring and an ice ring.

So flew 400ly out, not far, using the fss to scan and found myself a pristine ring, it was 20kls away but hey ho its pristine, scanned the ring and LTD hotspot, fantastic!, so off i go and drop from SC.

Boost away from the obligatory pirate that just so happens to be in an unihabited system and at the exact same point i chose to drop into the hotspot, and he no longer follows me, like he thinks, "oh thats a miner who has just dropped in and he wont be going mining, so ill just wait here on the off chance someone does drop into the remote part of the universe into a mining hotspot already full of tasty cargo rather than just limpets... my kids will go hungry tonight because im a moron!"

Pirate mentality lol

anyway, so armed with the PWS i though armed to the teeth with prospectors, and all the tools, i just need to find glowing rocks this time, what could go wrong?

Well i will tell you want could go wrong... 1hr 45 minutes i spent drifting through that sad LTD hotspot, resetting the instance 3 times just in case, but over 100 rocks examined and yes i found cores and sub surface deposits galore... but Water, Methlate clagnuts, and more water.

for my efforts i did find a handful of LTD "special" asteroids and claimed about 20T if that from them as they were of course all low yield and had just the one sub surface deposit and wew always LTD + 80% minimum clagnuts so each fragment wasnt even pure...

so i flew back, thought sod that and thanks for a wasted 2 hours, got the cutter out and fighter exploited for 20 minutes for 100T of LTD from a mapped rock

so we can all probably sit here and say "nerf the SLF trick, fix it"

but i say "FIX MINING" fix the bleeding basics jesus... how unrewarding it is to go to a LTD hotspot and find nothing but water after water, even if every rock i found was LTD the rate i would be harvesting them in is nothing compared to taking opportunities left in the game

we all focus on these edge cases far too much and miss the actual problem in the game, so mutli double, triple hotspot mining becomes the only way to mine, because the nerfs frontier apply absolutely destroy casual outside of double and triple hotspot mining.

i sometimes have no hope for the future of ED...

I don't quite understand, billions of rings out there, you had 2 hours bad luck, so the solution is to join the others with this stupid SLF trick? And mining is dead?

Considering the rocks are persistent, rather then relogging, jump into SC and drop out at another area, you can fit entire continents into most of these hotspots.

You'll never get LTD3/4 rates. Unless it is about making a billion in 2 hours, whats the big deal?

I spent my last 3-4 hour long sessions doing laser mining with a Cutter. Made 1.5 billion. Now off to play Bgs, maybe buy a second Beluga. Works for me!

One thing people don't appreciate is the complexity of the game. Mining, with its three types, has a learning curve that can make all the difference. Stick with it. Enjoy the game.

I don't quite understand, billions of rings out there, you had 2 hours bad luck, so the solution is to join the others with this stupid SLF trick? And mining is dead?

Considering the rocks are persistent, rather then relogging, jump into SC and drop out at another area, you can fit entire continents into most of these hotspots.

You'll never get LTD3/4 rates. Unless it is about making a billion in 2 hours, whats the big deal?
you missed the part where i reset the instance 3 times? i.e relogging and / or flying out and back in

the RNG is shocking as a result of triple hospot nerf, im all for nerfing the billions per 10 minutes, but at the detriment of simple standard gameplay I'm certainly not OK with that.

Not really been mining since the FC update but thought i would venture out...

This is not about credits per hour

so armed with an Orca, one seismic charge launcher, a sub surface missile launcher and a blaster, off mining we do go.

LTD are on the menu and all you need for those are a LTD hotspot, not to follow the Borann masses or the col sector whatever crowd, i thought i would just follow the in game process... Pristine ring and an ice ring.

So flew 400ly out, not far, using the fss to scan and found myself a pristine ring, it was 20kls away but hey ho its pristine, scanned the ring and LTD hotspot, fantastic!, so off i go and drop from SC.

Boost away from the obligatory pirate that just so happens to be in an unihabited system and at the exact same point i chose to drop into the hotspot, and he no longer follows me, like he thinks, "oh thats a miner who has just dropped in and he wont be going mining, so ill just wait here on the off chance someone does drop into the remote part of the universe into a mining hotspot already full of tasty cargo rather than just limpets... my kids will go hungry tonight because im a moron!"

Pirate mentality lol

anyway, so armed with the PWS i though armed to the teeth with prospectors, and all the tools, i just need to find glowing rocks this time, what could go wrong?

Well i will tell you want could go wrong... 1hr 45 minutes i spent drifting through that sad LTD hotspot, resetting the instance 3 times just in case, but over 100 rocks examined and yes i found cores and sub surface deposits galore... but Water, Methlate clagnuts, and more water.

for my efforts i did find a handful of LTD "special" asteroids and claimed about 20T if that from them as they were of course all low yield and had just the one sub surface deposit and wew always LTD + 80% minimum clagnuts so each fragment wasnt even pure...

so i flew back, thought sod that and thanks for a wasted 2 hours, got the cutter out and fighter exploited for 20 minutes for 100T of LTD from a mapped rock

so we can all probably sit here and say "nerf the SLF trick, fix it"

but i say "FIX MINING" fix the bleeding basics jesus... how unrewarding it is to go to a LTD hotspot and find nothing but water after water, even if every rock i found was LTD the rate i would be harvesting them in is nothing compared to taking opportunities left in the game

we all focus on these edge cases far too much and miss the actual problem in the game, so mutli double, triple hotspot mining becomes the only way to mine, because the nerfs frontier apply absolutely destroy casual outside of double and triple hotspot mining.

i sometimes have no hope for the future of ED...
I've certainly had occasions when it is about as bad as this.
I've also not been following the crowds to the latest hotspot hotspot and pay a rather high opportunity cost for doing so. Not totally clear if this make the game broken or me a bit silly - perhaps a bit of both? I think the mechanics could be improved to help make the solo out in the black mining thing more viable - also the pirate thing is just bonkers and needs to get fixed. Still, if I deliberately shun a known good resource, that is kind of on me. Be nice if FD could help turn these in to genuine gold rush spots with in game information about them...
All that said I've mostly bounced off ED for a while anyway so all a bit moot.

you missed the part where i reset the instance 3 times? i.e relogging and / or flying out and back in
You said reset instance, I incorrectly assumed relogging. Whenever I have been in your situation, I SC at 30km's, only for a few seconds, drop into a different area.

I have mined in various hotposts since the beta, using a combo of laser/core/sub. Am not doing it for billions though, just testing every now and then, not just ice rings. If a region in the spot isn't good after 20mins, I move a few hundred km's away.

You said reset instance, I incorrectly assumed relogging. Whenever I have been in your situation, I SC at 30km's, only for a few seconds, drop into a different area.

I have mined in various hotposts since the beta, using a combo of laser/core/sub. Am not doing it for billions though, just testing every now and then, not just ice rings. If a region in the spot isn't good after 20mins, I move a few hundred km's away.
why should an instance in a hotspot in a pristine ring for the material your after EVER be bad though? its just a waste of our time and its infuriating, especially when its 3,4,10,20 bad instances in a row, because it happens. i already spent 20 minutes flying out here!

tools are in the game... scan for pristine ring, find LTD hotspot, PWS for glowing rocks... you find water... and more water... if its a hotspot it should be a &%^&$ hotspot!

why should an instance in a hotspot in a pristine ring for the material your after EVER be bad though? its just a waste of our time and its infuriating, especially when its 3,4,10,20 bad instances in a row, because it happens. i already spent 20 minutes flying out here!

tools are in the game... scan for pristine ring, find LTD hotspot, PWS for glowing rocks... you find water... and more water... if its a hotspot it should be a &%^&$ hotspot!
It is way too easy as is. I'd rather a bit of bad luck every now and then. And that is all that happened to you, a bit of bad luck

That is what occurs, when developers fail at ProcGen math badly, when doing purely ProcGen game. Pity, yes.
It would be interesting to see how they have calculated the distribution. There are obviously void areas in hotspots, since we have all seen what the OP describes at some point. I had always assumed it is intentional

I fear a lot of players are taking the current 3LTD craze as the standard now.

I was convinced until recently that Painite mining was 'broken', but my mistake (I think) was I went into a Metal Rich ring with a Painite hotspot - while I found a core rock eventually, no surface mining deposits at all.

However, I came across another Painite hotspot a little bit outside the bubble, in a pristine Metallic ring - came across numerous (though not lots) of 30%+ yields (was in my strip miner so didn't check for cores).

My faith in mining working as intended has been somewhat regained, I just need to keep reminding myself that the reliably high yields and core rock numbers you come across in an overlap are not what one should consider normal, and that stuff like Painite and LTDs is supposed to be rarer than Indite and Water.

Mining has become more fun again for me as a result - and because I don't focus on single commodities any longer (all filters removed) even a 40% Osmium rock or multiple SSDs of Platinum give me a 'bullseye' sensation now.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand, billions of rings out there, you had 2 hours bad luck, [...]
IMHO you are missing the point. Back in the day mining was pure RNG (and low profit), people weren't happy. Then Frontier announced the big mining overhaul. Huzzah! We get new tools to help us with mining, people hoped we'd move from RNG to skill based game play.

But that turned out to be wrong. Frontier simply moved the RNG around a bit. Now you can find (overlapping) hotspots, if you're lucky. You can find asteroids with cores, if you're lucky (the pulse wave scanner may look nice, but the gameplay is still horrible).

The SRV scanner is still the most involved way to track things down, but that was added way back in 2.0, which was for a lot of players the last really great update to Elite so far.

I'm a hard-core Core Miner and I definitely think that Core MIning has been nerfed.

In a single HotSpot, Void Opals or LTDs, I used to regularly get around 70% Cores containing that mineral. Now I'm finding that it's less than 50% and this is within 200 Kms of the centre of the HotSpot.

It also seems that there are fewer Cores to be found but that may just be a subjective impression.

Was this a single LTD hotspot? I've found similar. Went prospecting for an hour or so in Alectrona (one of the gas giants has a single LTD hotspot) shortly after I bought my FC. I think I found a single LTD core.

It does seem that FD seem to have changed something that has had a detrimental effect - I used to do quite well mining in single hotspots.

It is way too easy as is. I'd rather a bit of bad luck every now and then. And that is all that happened to you, a bit of bad luck
But that doesn't answer what is fun with this. The whole 'resetting an instance' thing is daft. Same with RES: why is there a 50/50 chance a high-res only spawns cobras and such? Why do I have to reset the instance to get what it should have been the first time?

Bad luck is fun if it means creating a scenario where you need skill to overcome an unforseen challenge. In ED it just wastes my time and makes a session even more boring.

Is resetting an instance fun? No? Then FD should not have it be part of any design element. Have players use skill to find what they want, then reward them for it without wasting their time.

Top Bottom