Want to engineer Beam Lasers

I'm guessing Oversized Overcharged Beam Lasers cook your ship, then? I've been wondering which mods I should add to my Vette's Beam Lasers, and I had initially decided on Oversized and Overcharged... but maybe Overcharged and Thermal Vent would be better
Thermal vent is one of the best experimental effects in the game, it's hard to recommend the other options over it.

It depends on build, but if you're talking about the twin huge hardpoints then I really think you'll want thermal vent. Instead of cooking your ship, you'll be able to cool it down.

The Dweller will be your first laser guy and does beams up to G3. To get G5, you want Broo Tarquin who is one of the later unlocks. You'll get him by unlocking Liz Ryder and Hera Tani.

Edit: or if you fancy a trip to colonia, Mel Brandon will do them too.
With regard to the Dweller does "Deal with 5 Black Markets" simply mean Black Markets on 5 Different Stations? or something else?

I've been doing missions with Eurybia blue mafia and am Allied and still haven't gotten the invite. Do I keep dong missions or do I now wait for invite. Any way to force it?

On my Corvette, I prefer LR + TV, since I can't keep enemies close ( under 1k ) with it's poor speed. I can also hit them from long range as they close, or if they try to flee. On a fast ship, OC'd + TV, since you'll be knife fighting.

Either way, beams are HOT, and they will cook you slowly. Thermal Vent is a must have.

On my vette i have 2 sm overcharged beams with oversized, 1 huge beam with efficient and thermal vent. the rest are multicannons, everything gimballed. Multis are overcharged with 1 thermal shock(md) 1 corrosive(md) 1 incendiary(lg) 1 autoloader(hg)

Thermal vent is one of the best experimental effects in the game, it's hard to recommend the other options over it.

It depends on build, but if you're talking about the twin huge hardpoints then I really think you'll want thermal vent. Instead of cooking your ship, you'll be able to cool it down.
Yeah I've noticed that every time I pop a Shield Cell Bank my heat goes through the roof now (OC'ed all my multicannons and I engineered one of my core modules and got increased thermal load as a drawback) so at 130% heat or so the internal modules start to melt real fast. I have to pop a heatsink every time I fire a SCB or I'll cook my ship, and I doubt adding 2 Overcharged and Oversized Beam Lasers would help with that. Guess its Overcharged + Thermal Vent for the Huge Beam Lasers, then.

Get the long range. The normal falloff for lasers means that anything past 1km is something like 50% damage. So getting long range will feel like you've just gotten a huge overcharge... plus you'll be able to hit targets much further away.
Yes, overcharged beams have a higher potential damage, but who's getting closer than 1 KM to target?

Get the long range. The normal falloff for lasers means that anything past 1km is something like 50% damage. So getting long range will feel like you've just gotten a huge overcharge... plus you'll be able to hit targets much further away.
Yes, overcharged beams have a higher potential damage, but who's getting closer than 1 KM to target?
Plus: a long range pulse at anything over 1.5km will outdamage an efficent beam of the same size for a comparable distro draw.
That said, if you are getting close enough to make use of them, efficient beams will absolutely shred shields and they're pretty good at taking out modules, especially triggering powerplant explosions. Pair them with something corrosive to really make them hurt.

That said, if you are getting close enough to make use of them, efficient beams will absolutely shred shields and they're pretty good at taking out modules, especially triggering powerplant explosions. Pair them with something corrosive to really make them hurt.
Tried long range and efficient beams on my PvE FdL, both fixed. I mothballed the long range ones as the distro draw was to much and the damage output was dramatically reduced because of it. The efficient ones run forever and it takes much less time to kill the target even if they stay in the 1-1.5km range. I have a high-cap corrosive multi to apply the damage boost once the shields drop. With this setup I can run 3-4 high CZ before I have to go for refueling or repairs. Usually my beams are TC for the free extra 60% damage.

I use lightweight beams with thermal vent on my iCourier. Every kilo saved is another m/s and the damage output isn't too much less than the efficient ones. Lightweight is also good in that there is a significant bonus to it's power draw. Not quite as good as an efficient beam, but very respectable nonetheless. According to Coriolis I get about 80m/s
more speed running with them.

For all my other ships however, I go efficient gimballed/w thermal vent or long range fixed.

Broo Tarquin.

After you've engineered your Power Distributor and Power Plant to the max I'd look at using a combo of G5 efficient and Overcharged beam lasers.
I used to run 100% efficient but I realised that I was wasting DPS over the average span I could hold target on a enemy.

In other words by the time you've had to break off shooting you may have only used 1/2 a capacitor, why not rock an OC laser and squeeze some more DPS?

They recharge so quickly...

Don't forget Thermal Vent experimentals though!

Last edited:
Most targets do that themselves.

In the end, it all boils down to time on target and available DPS. The best config has done all the damage it could do the moment you go off target and is recharged the moment you get back on target. Once you figure that out, you are able to build your best config yourself, and for one that would mean an efficient beam because he has a fast ship or is able to stay longer on target while using FA OFF, for the other it would mean a LR config because his ship is slower.

The more I've build and tried myself, the less a question like "what is the best engineering for beams" makes sense. What do you fly? How do you fly? What is the target?

Last edited:
On my vette i have 2 sm overcharged beams with oversized, 1 huge beam with efficient and thermal vent. the rest are multicannons, everything gimballed. Multis are overcharged with 1 thermal shock(md) 1 corrosive(md) 1 incendiary(lg) 1 autoloader(hg)
I was about to add that my Vette was the same. It was but I upped the game a little more. Everything is fixed... try it!
The C1's are G5 Efficient Beam and the C2's are G5 High Cap Packhounds with Thermal Cascade and Drag.

I'm not sure how effective the Thermal Cascade is but the Drag munitions noticeably slow fast ships like Vultures and FAS which of course means more time to fry them!

Basic MO is to close on target and when within 1km dump the capacitor into whatever it is, break off, recharge then go again.

The Vette is surprisingly good at fixed weapons and at a certain range the convergence just seems to grab the target in a box of beams!

I was about to add that my Vette was the same. It was but I upped the game a little more. Everything is fixed... try it!
The C1's are G5 Efficient Beam and the C2's are G5 High Cap Packhounds with Thermal Cascade and Drag.

I'm not sure how effective the Thermal Cascade is but the Drag munitions noticeably slow fast ships like Vultures and FAS which of course means more time to fry them!

Basic MO is to close on target and when within 1km dump the capacitor into whatever it is, break off, recharge then go again.

The Vette is surprisingly good at fixed weapons and at a certain range the convergence just seems to grab the target in a box of beams!
Funny, I got fixed beams and packhounds as well. Thought I was the only weirdo :D
The Vette is indeed very stable and fixed beams suit it really well. It is easy to snipe the smallest targets with it.

I use one small turreted burst laser with scrambling effect to switch of modules on the receiving end, and one small rail to cancel SCB's. 2 fixed efficient huge beams and one large long range beam for smaller targets that run away. Oh, and an elite SLF.

The Dweller will be your first laser guy and does beams up to G3. To get G5, you want Broo Tarquin who is one of the later unlocks. You'll get him by unlocking Liz Ryder and Hera Tani.

Edit: or if you fancy a trip to colonia, Mel Brandon will do them too.
I'd never put all this together before...
Broo Tarquin's great liking for tea.
His nickname? "Broo".
The common remark by laser-equipped pirates: "I'm gonna boil you up!"

Top Bottom