VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

I haven't purchased Odyssey. I have no plans to without full VR support. Got tons of great stuff on Xbox game pass for PC now that I've never looked at.

Currently playing Psychonauts, and loving it.
There's a VR version ;-)))

I played OdY all day in VR tweaked some video settings some system settings and settings in ODY. It tweaks once in a while but it almost as good as horizon. The on foot stuff is not here yet and I am betting it will come with the console stuff..

Last edited:
Deliberate crossposting here to save the environment, but I'm really interested in those tweaks too. Up to then, I think VR graphics support is severely broken. Why does it use ASW now in plain clear deep space?

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
I'm 99% certain that 85% of the playerbase would like to know what settings tweaks allow you to play in VR, most of us find it tanks even high end hardware at 1080 to maybe 1440, let alone VR....
I can’t speak for anyone else, but it looks to me that people with RTX cards are having severe issues that I’m not getting with my i7 8700 & GTX 1080 using Quest 2 via Link.

Settings at High, AO to Medium, AA + Blur to Off, SS + HMDQ to 1.0 - and although I’m in ASW pretty much everywhere apart from space, the game still maintains above ASW’s level which means I have smooth gameplay...apart from when getting in the SRV, then I have to drop HMDQ to 0.85 😅

I can’t speak for anyone else, but it looks to me that people with RTX cards are having severe issues that I’m not getting with my i7 8700 & GTX 1080 using Quest 2 via Link.

Settings at High, AO to Medium, AA + Blur to Off, SS + HMDQ to 1.0 - and although I’m in ASW pretty much everywhere apart from space, the game still maintains above ASW’s level which means I have smooth gameplay...apart from when getting in the SRV, then I have to drop HMDQ to 0.85 😅

Well, I use a ROG STRIX GTX1070 overclocked to 1920MHz, so it's the same breed and get half the fps at best in comparison to Horizons. ASW in starports and on planets, ok, but deep space? Latest drivers ofc.

O7,
🙃

I’ve just booted up VR Odyssey for the first time this morning.

i9 9900ks with a 2080Ti and 32Gb of Ram all on one of those fast SSD (whatever they’re called) and I’m shocked at just how badly it runs. On my monitor it’s all fine compared to what many seem to be getting. Perhaps much of it is to do with RTX cards, I don’t know. It does seem that whether you’re a VR player or monitor player the optimisation is the major issue right now.

Bugs, UI etc are things that can be fixed or got used to but surely first we should be looking at getting the game in a state where it runs well enough for players to enjoy it.

All of my settings have gone from a mix of high and a few ultra to low and a few medium and I’m maxing around 52FPS.

At least for now it’s Horizons in VR and Odyssey in pancake only....at least I’m lucky enough to get decent frame rates in flat screen, I feel for those that don’t.

i7 4790 and GTX 1080 here: I deleted the old settings and just went with what the game 'proposed' i.e. mostly high. With my oculus CV1 I had 45fps in space most of the time and a lot less than that even while just looking at a planet. I also lost my color mappings for now. I'll try a few tweaks just for science, but for every bug fix they did during alpha they appear to have added several more and the current release is not finished in any way shape or form - it's not even acceptable for a paid release in flat screen mode, let alone VR.

I've only tried Odyssey release on my laptop, but that's a gtx1080, with an i7-6700k + 64gb ram & sata SSD, even running at 1080p, on the recommended settings, I still dipped to 7 fps in the firefight in the introduction / training mission, ~18fps in stations & 40fps in space flight - there is no way this would be anything other than a slideshow in VR.

That's rather low still. I also have installed Odyssey on my laptop which has an i7 8th gen, GTX1060 mobile and currently only 8GB RAM (one DIMM got faulty), running on 1080p with high settings and I get about 30-40fps on surfaces and starports, way more in space (capped at 60Hz for thermal reasons) and everything in pancake mode. Not even to think of VR, ofc. Btw the intro mission was more or less ok for me in VR pancake on my main PC which is considerably stronger, IIRC no noticable stutters in the fire scene (but that was too short to really tell). The only reason I didn't finish it was dying two times in the second wave of the firefight and and then I skipped the thing. As an FPS non-afficionado, I could live with that even on the notebook, but VR is a no-go because everything below 90fps gets physical soon and ASW everywhere is no viable option. Steer clear from the SRV on ice planets in VR, it's a slide show now not even ASW can remedy and causes bad headaches instantly.

I really hope it's a graphics thing only, but tbh my worst fear is that they doubled the calculation precision internally for the space legs thing (DB mentioned it yesterday) and that is applied everywhere now, possibly doubling rendering times. Or it also renders invisible things, but that they should have found out quickly. Who knows, lets hope for the best 🍻

O7,
🙃

Top Bottom