VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

The community management role for ED must be quite tough. Ed had grown with the evolution of the game. Anyone new coming in is facing a mature game and unless they commit huge numbers of hours to learning the game they are not going to find it easy to interact. Also its a community starved of serious development for years, so its a community hungry for information, which they cannot give most of the time. The other games have content that is easy to grasp and present. I confess I was surprised they did not add building construction to Elite already because that would have created an easy in.

I'd like to take a moment to thank all the unique users who have made their voice heard so far. 263 and counting...

Code:
[VR] Andrew Johnson
[VR] andysonofbob
[VR] CaptainPugwash
[VR] Chris
[VR] CMDR Novindus
[VR] DDastardly
[VR] DDM_Reaper20
[VR] Deggial
[VR] Dextrovix
[VR] Enexemander
[VR] Golgot
[VR] Goooost
[VR] Gortron
[VR] Jay Le Chardon
[VR] jefranklin18
[VR] Jim Chapman
[VR] Kemo
[VR] Mad Life Crisis
[VR] Mad Mike
[VR] Marklar
[VR] Mercked
[VR] Mr Teatime
[VR] Murgle
[VR] optimal_909
[VR] Orodruin
[VR] Panzertard
[VR] scipio_77
[VR] SenseiMatty
[VR] sgurr
[VR] Slowfiddler
[VR] Tanais
[VR] tazbert
[VR] The Lawful
[VR] wi03016
[VR] WinterWinds
[VR] zodd
[VR]HaywirePhoenix
[VR]m335
[VR]Wasp0
21 Tauri
777Driver
Abysinth
Aekero
Aldaris
Alec Turner
Alien
amigacooke
Amos
Arioch
ArkSeaJumper
Arthur Tolmie
Ascendingbike42
AsmodeusV
AstroCreep
avow555
Azulkb
B1rdy
babelfisch
Biff Stryker
Bigmaec
Billyjoejohnson
BluStar
Bob McBobblehead
BoggiBlanko
BurntJello
Ca$hback
Captain N
Captain Willard
CaptnPicard2305
CDOTS
Chaz
Chris Simon
ChrisF0001
CMDR Atkinson
CMDR Big Mike
CMDR Brax
CMDR Harada
CMDR Jayce MacLeod
CMDR Karrde Sun
CMDR kraedin
CMDR M Kozak
CMDR Maylor Rom
CMDR QUANTIS TRAP
CMDR WelshSossy
CMDRHammre
CobraCommander
Colonel Kenney
Cosmo
Cpt.Badger
Craith
Crank Larson
Crumly
Cyclinguy
DaggerSnake
Dagwit
dannysquid
Darth Ender
dawud
Deareim
DeeFeeBro
Deejayeff145
Demascus
Dietger
digitus impudicus
DMC831
Dooguk
doswelk
DreamWraith
dumbo
ebbrell
el_tel2
Eminor
Enderby
epoch5
EUS
Ezren
Factabulous
Faybs
Fendalton
Filthymick420
finnos
fitzsteve
Flimley
Floladin
Florenus
Franc Kaos
Frank
Frillop Freyraum
frontier
Ganogati
Glamdring
Glen Fiddik
Golgot
gorankar
govny
GraXXoR
Greg
GroundCombo
Gully_Foyle
heathenlamb
Heavenly-Hammer
Highlander71
Hopix
House0fDerp
Huita
Iain L
IamMe
Ian Phillips
ianstrauss
Ignition
itarrow
jojon
Joss C. K.
jyla1981
Kamiyoda
Kaocraft
Kapow
Katie Byrne
Kellan Fell
Kelster87
kilvenny
kingfu
Koni Zentri
Leadfoot
leeG
lefty1117
lemon407
LeoBartlet85
Leper Messiah
Little*jobbie
Lordxenu
LoyalOrange503
MadDogMurdock
Maggie_Oz
MagicPuncher
MarikMonika
McBright
McKeon
McSlim
Merkir
Mogen Teras
Momatty
Morbad
Morgan Grimes
Moto13k
Murphy1135
Nephilim
Nieblaashx
Nomadski
npcole
ObiW
Old Duck
Paso
Patrick_68000
Phoenix_Dfire
Plaid_unicorn
pprovart
PUGS16
Quddus
Quiquag
Ravenx444
Reems
rhiz
Rmolinajr
rp198419
Rubbernuke
Sanderling
Scubadog
SectorZero
SenX
Shanaeri
shreddog
Sidey
Silektuo99
Snowymonk
Sphinx2k
Stamford Rider
steeljacket488
StuartGT
Sylveria
Sysmon
Tenshi
Thann
Tharrn
THECATISDEAD
thesnowdog
thistle
Thrender Grone
TieKnee
Tjago
TransTechGirl
Trepidor
Turd Ferguson
Tygra
Tyler-Rid
ubedead
umbabrahattasil
Un1k0rn
user
Vahnkiljoy
valbarr
Vandaahl
Vasea Azure
Vasious
VerticalBlank
Viajero
-VR- Max Factor
-VR- pipestein
VR StarLightPL
wabboo
Warlord007
Wayland Pentonville
wickfut
Winterwalker
Wokawidget
Wrecked
Yaga-Shura
yandoo
ZeeWolf
ZeroAi
zimms
znôrt
Zorvan

First time I've seen myself at the top of an Elite list :p:p:p:p

@Arthur Tolmie Thank you form commenting on my other threads and your willingness to engage with the community. Throwing a hand grenade in the room now, but are you able to offer any hope or update on the subject of VR at any level in ED:O.
Can you also answer a question I have asked over the years - does the Elite team have a dedicated VR team/person currently working on any aspect of Elite - bug fixes or new implementation. Hopefully you can give a small insight.
Thank you and sorry for dragging you in to this thread.

I think ED is done development seems to be in state of keep the lights on, communication is defined by silence and lot of features like galnet, cg, and VR Support are gone or will be stopped. Imo Odyssey will be a minor content update. So far is legs instead SRV driving, no big deal, and a skybox for barren rocks. My expectations are below zero. Last five years were a time of many disappointments I'am quite frustrated. Hope the high player stats kicks FD out of their hibernate.

I wish the people who keep whining about the Tencent investment spend 5 minutes and actually see what it gave them - not freaking much. They have a non-exec board seat and the Tencent Rep doesn't bother to show to most meetings. There are 2 (or 3) other corporate investments, I never see anyone commenting on those..
Gullible much?

News flash Phil Spencer has decided for Xbox to persue VR. in 2021. So will FD end up sucking eggs in the VR battle, we shall see.

Oo, where are you seeing this? I know they partnered with FB gaming recently, but that would be a pretty big about-face still.

Would be shot in the arm for VR though for sure. (And increase the odds of VR Odyssey. Your 3 targeted platforms supporting VR? That would make a difference ;))

Last edited:
This has probably already been said, but I'll say it again, darn it!

There is a huge difference between Sitting VR and Standing VR, and are two separate beasts entirely. Unless you wanna be on a Segway, you'd have to physically get up out of your chair, and if you have a HOTAS In VR Spacelegs you're gimping yourself so hard we might have to call it BDSM. Some VR Games have an option for Sit or Stand, but those games also don't use nearly as complicated control schemes.

VR Might Come to Odyssey, I do not doubt that. But you have to understand why it won't be around at first. Try playing Hot-Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades with a HOTAS while sitting down, then play Elite: Dangerous while standing up with your VR Wand Controllers, be it Vive or Index or whatever. Let us know how that experiment goes.

There is a huge difference between Sitting VR and Standing VR, and are two separate beasts entirely. Unless you wanna be on a Segway, you'd have to physically get up out of your chair, and if you have a HOTAS In VR Spacelegs you're gimping yourself so hard we might have to call it BDSM. Some VR Games have an option for Sit or Stand, but those games also don't use nearly as complicated control schemes.

VR Might Come to Odyssey, I do not doubt that. But you have to understand why it won't be around at first. Try playing Hot-Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades with a HOTAS while sitting down, then play Elite: Dangerous while standing up with your VR Wand Controllers, be it Vive or Index or whatever. Let us know how that experiment goes.
I play Ark Evolved in Vr without issues. Either way I will find a way to play Elite in Vr even if they abandon us. 😀

With a Rift S, I played the whole of HL:Alyx sat down, using the normal FPS movement method rather than the click-to-move method. I'm not entirely sure why I would need to stand up to use space-legs... not as if you are actually going to be walking anywhere. Much like switching to an xbox controller for driving the SRV, I cannot see picking up the Rift controllers when switching to legs being a particular challenge. I already do exactly that when I exit Elite to play something else.

While typing this it has occurred to me that I have very limited experience with how any other VR hardware works - I know my Rift S and that's it - so while I don't believe the Rift S would present too much of a challenge to integrate, maybe some of the others would?

Citation needed - can someone point to where these myths come from?

With a Rift S, I played the whole of HL:Alyx sat down, using the normal FPS movement method rather than the click-to-move method. I'm not entirely sure why I would need to stand up to use space-legs... not as if you are actually going to be walking anywhere. Much like switching to an xbox controller for driving the SRV, I cannot see picking up the Rift controllers when switching to legs being a particular challenge. I already do exactly that when I exit Elite to play something else.

While typing this it has occurred to me that I have very limited experience with how any other VR hardware works - I know my Rift S and that's it - so while I don't believe the Rift S would present too much of a challenge to integrate, maybe some of the others would?

I think what M4RTH4 is getting at is that: (A) They'd need to add motion controller support at minimum to match market expectations, & (B) There's an expectation of being able to play character gameplay via standing / roomscale play.

You can certainly then chose to play seated, but the above need to be accommodated as a rule.

Odyssey complicates things by having that transition between vehicles and characters. Accommodating a range of norms / preferences isn't insurmountable at all. It's just dev. (More dev than they've had to do to date etc).

In NMS (the most comparable game to ED on functionality), they went to town on the VR support to soften the transition between ship and character gameplay. They added virtual joysticks etc, so that people could control both ship & character with one control scheme (motion controllers). They fudged the standing play a bit (the UI doesn't rotate if you turn your body in roomscale), but ultimately it's pretty functional. Odyssey would probably require FDev to noodle around with their own solutions for smoothing out that experience where possible. For a high end release.

Top Bottom