VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

Wow guys, you make much more noice than LEP players hahaha.

I remember when people said Star Citizen was going to fail because it didn't have VR while Elite had it.
You can play many VR games... there are... plenty...? no?
Odyssey will have VR in a couple of years, chill out.

I remember when people said Star Citizen was going to fail because it didn't have VR while Elite had it.
I am sure there will be a more detalied answer than mine coming along shortly, but.

You are correct star citizen has not failed due to lack of VR, but technically it has not succeeded yet either.

There are plenty of other vr games, but I would like to play elite in vr, and continue to play in vr as elite evolves.

How much are you willing to bet on the statement 'Odyssey will have VR in a couple of years, chill out.' ??

I'd like to take a moment to thank all the unique users who have made their voice heard so far. 263 and counting...

Code:
[VR] Andrew Johnson
[VR] andysonofbob
[VR] CaptainPugwash
[VR] Chris
[VR] CMDR Novindus
[VR] DDastardly
[VR] DDM_Reaper20
[VR] Deggial
[VR] Dextrovix
[VR] Enexemander
[VR] Golgot
[VR] Goooost
[VR] Gortron
[VR] Jay Le Chardon
[VR] jefranklin18
[VR] Jim Chapman
[VR] Kemo
[VR] Mad Life Crisis
[VR] Mad Mike
[VR] Marklar
[VR] Mercked
[VR] Mr Teatime
[VR] Murgle
[VR] optimal_909
[VR] Orodruin
[VR] Panzertard
[VR] scipio_77
[VR] SenseiMatty
[VR] sgurr
[VR] Slowfiddler
[VR] Tanais
[VR] tazbert
[VR] The Lawful
[VR] wi03016
[VR] WinterWinds
[VR] zodd
[VR]HaywirePhoenix
[VR]m335
[VR]Wasp0
21 Tauri
777Driver
Abysinth
Aekero
Aldaris
Alec Turner
Alien
amigacooke
Amos
Arioch
ArkSeaJumper
Arthur Tolmie
Ascendingbike42
AsmodeusV
AstroCreep
avow555
Azulkb
B1rdy
babelfisch
Biff Stryker
Bigmaec
Billyjoejohnson
BluStar
Bob McBobblehead
BoggiBlanko
BurntJello
Ca$hback
Captain N
Captain Willard
CaptnPicard2305
CDOTS
Chaz
Chris Simon
ChrisF0001
CMDR Atkinson
CMDR Big Mike
CMDR Brax
CMDR Harada
CMDR Jayce MacLeod
CMDR Karrde Sun
CMDR kraedin
CMDR M Kozak
CMDR Maylor Rom
CMDR QUANTIS TRAP
CMDR WelshSossy
CMDRHammre
CobraCommander
Colonel Kenney
Cosmo
Cpt.Badger
Craith
Crank Larson
Crumly
Cyclinguy
DaggerSnake
Dagwit
dannysquid
Darth Ender
dawud
Deareim
DeeFeeBro
Deejayeff145
Demascus
Dietger
digitus impudicus
DMC831
Dooguk
doswelk
DreamWraith
dumbo
ebbrell
el_tel2
Eminor
Enderby
epoch5
EUS
Ezren
Factabulous
Faybs
Fendalton
Filthymick420
finnos
fitzsteve
Flimley
Floladin
Florenus
Franc Kaos
Frank
Frillop Freyraum
frontier
Ganogati
Glamdring
Glen Fiddik
Golgot
gorankar
govny
GraXXoR
Greg
GroundCombo
Gully_Foyle
heathenlamb
Heavenly-Hammer
Highlander71
Hopix
House0fDerp
Huita
Iain L
IamMe
Ian Phillips
ianstrauss
Ignition
itarrow
jojon
Joss C. K.
jyla1981
Kamiyoda
Kaocraft
Kapow
Katie Byrne
Kellan Fell
Kelster87
kilvenny
kingfu
Koni Zentri
Leadfoot
leeG
lefty1117
lemon407
LeoBartlet85
Leper Messiah
Little*jobbie
Lordxenu
LoyalOrange503
MadDogMurdock
Maggie_Oz
MagicPuncher
MarikMonika
McBright
McKeon
McSlim
Merkir
Mogen Teras
Momatty
Morbad
Morgan Grimes
Moto13k
Murphy1135
Nephilim
Nieblaashx
Nomadski
npcole
ObiW
Old Duck
Paso
Patrick_68000
Phoenix_Dfire
Plaid_unicorn
pprovart
PUGS16
Quddus
Quiquag
Ravenx444
Reems
rhiz
Rmolinajr
rp198419
Rubbernuke
Sanderling
Scubadog
SectorZero
SenX
Shanaeri
shreddog
Sidey
Silektuo99
Snowymonk
Sphinx2k
Stamford Rider
steeljacket488
StuartGT
Sylveria
Sysmon
Tenshi
Thann
Tharrn
THECATISDEAD
thesnowdog
thistle
Thrender Grone
TieKnee
Tjago
TransTechGirl
Trepidor
Turd Ferguson
Tygra
Tyler-Rid
ubedead
umbabrahattasil
Un1k0rn
user
Vahnkiljoy
valbarr
Vandaahl
Vasea Azure
Vasious
VerticalBlank
Viajero
-VR- Max Factor
-VR- pipestein
VR StarLightPL
wabboo
Warlord007
Wayland Pentonville
wickfut
Winterwalker
Wokawidget
Wrecked
Yaga-Shura
yandoo
ZeeWolf
ZeroAi
zimms
znôrt
Zorvan
Add me too please.

Listen up Frontier .... non-VR games now have a negative term "pancake games" how long before flatscreen games start falling out of favor. I for one haven't bought a "pancake game " for over 3 years ever since i got my VR set and got totally spoiled by playing in VR.
Not only that i won't buy Odyssey not in VR but i won't buy any game not in VR.

The complete in game immersion you get by playing in VR is ridiculously engaging, I feel sorry for anyone commenting about VR that hasn't tried VR.
You just can't understand where all this passion comes from without playing Elite Dangerous in VR.
I don't "play" Elite anymore because in VR I am now IN THE GAME.

Last edited:

Just take minute of your life please and think what it would be like if you have ONLY played Elite in Vr and may be forced to 2d screen and how you would feel.

Support since launch, owns multiple copies, pass owner, almost everything in store bought to help support the best Vr game on the market and Frontier, to then be told Vr support not at launch with zero explanation and pretty much flipped the bird.

Elite didn't fail cause they targetted all audiences and just flat out made a stellar game. I tired star citizen, I think it sucks. I tried Eve and got bored of flat screen . I've tried so many and always come back to Elite in Vr cause NOTHING is like it on the market.

If they are done with Vr why not be a adult and just flat out say it already. Will Horizons be updated in the future? Will Vr be later down the road for the new Odyssey.

Imagine they announced no more 2d support or 2d not at launch and then announced a stellar update that you have been waiting for years with zero explanation .

Its disrespectful and causes division. If your done your done and just man up to it. I have a hard time believing Vr is done for good after all the awards they have won. They have been on the cover of many magazines with headlines of best Vr experience.

Why they have stopped talking to the community about this is a complete joke.

I see the post Vr support not at launch is a bit to heated for this dev to come say hi. Either way I really hope you make a difference in the near future.

I think a storm in a teacup has brewed up between Graxxor and Max Factor...

The way I read Max's comment was Max saying meaning "NMS isn't for me, but I'm glad you enjoy it" which seems not to be how Graxxor read it as meaning, which led to the two of them getting into an unintentional minor tussle arising from a minor misunderstanding. I don't think its Max's style to be as patronising as Graxxor read it, but reading through it I can see why he may have thought Max meant something else, more along the lines of "You enjoy THAT?" and as such why he reacted the way he did. I literally just changed the tone / inflexions of the "inner voice" of my thought processes that I read the comments with to jump from Max's comment meaning one thing to it meaning the other.

I've "known" Max and Graxxor for a long time through this forum, and both are cool, so I'd hate to see a squabble between them.
Thanks, I certainly wasn't trying to be patronising. The game isn't for me, I've stated why. If Graxxor enjoys it, then good on him. To be honest, I really wish I did enjoy the game as it would be another game to play. Saying that, I have enough anyway, RDR2, GTAV, Rocksmith, ED, BG2 rerun etc.

I am not that bothered as a VR player myself, it isn't that important. as long as the gameplay is good I am fine with it launcing without VR support .. If it come's that's great, if it doesn't it's not the end of the world, as long as the content is good. We seem to have too much to complain about .. and we do.

EDIT* the "and we do" part is not to do with content to complain about, but the fact that people need to complain about something. "and they do"

Last edited:
Imagine they announced no more 2d support or 2d not at launch and then announced a stellar update that you have been waiting for years with zero explanation .
A bit like the experience of non-VR Half-Life fans with Alyx. I had a lot of sympathy for long-term fans of the series without Headsets (a degree of empathy that some non-VR players here seem to lack).

I may be too pessimistic, but if VR was ever coming I would have thought that it would be there at launch. They've had plenty of time to conceive and work on the direction of the game. If that proves to be the case, personally I think that it's creatively short sighted and uninspired. Ultimately VR isn't going anywhere, and all of the most inspired digital creators that I know are profoundly excited by the potential of the medium.

tell me one time where FD has said "not on relese" apart this.
For what I recall "never", so you can't make any comparison.
They said precisely the same thing about VR on the PS4 in June 2017. They're still waiting.
Thinking that VR may be supported later is just hopeful thinking to be disappointed when it doesn't get implemented.
I am afraid that if Fdev doesn't design Odyssey for VR now, then they may get boxed in that they can't implement it later.
I agree. I don't believe VR is being worked on at all now by Fdev.
You can tell when a company has stopped being run by a creator and taken over by the accountants.

You can tell when a company has stopped being run by a creator and taken over by the accountants.
Zing! That one is harsh but nails it.

I'm just going to say that the recent rapid turnover in community-facing staff is a cause for concern.

At ECM 2018 I met Ed Lewis, Paige, and Will, who were at that time very much seen as a stable team. I got the sense of a happy team working in concert.
(I also won a planet rename in the charity raffle and in accordance with the best explorer traditions, I named a planet after my dog.)

Fast-forward only two years and two have left and Will has moved within FD.

That's not the hallmark of a company that prioritises community relations, and the time-correlation with the Tencent investment is hard to ignore.

I wish the people who keep whining about the Tencent investment spend 5 minutes and actually see what it gave them - not freaking much. They have a non-exec board seat and the Tencent Rep doesn't bother to show to most meetings. There are 2 (or 3) other corporate investments, I never see anyone commenting on those..

Top Bottom