VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

From the job perks:

"We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 500+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success."

That has got to be the best Freudian slip ever. I know they mean life insurance but still, that's hilarious!
Also, I would never label any perk as a scheme. Bad optics.

From the job perks:

"We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 500+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success."

That has got to be the best Freudian slip ever. I know they mean life insurance but still, that's hilarious!
Isn't this just a British vs American thing? My understanding was that in Britain, they use the word assurance in all the places that Americans use insurance. As in, you sign up for assurance at an assurance company. I originally "learned" this from Monty Python, btw:

Last edited:
Dude the textures in NMS are waaaaay better than in ED. It's not even close. More detail, better resolution, and seamless blending between different textures across regions of terrain. Go up close to anything in Elite and it's pixelated and grainy.
There's something seriously wrong with your E: D settings. I have never had that issue.

There's something seriously wrong with your E: D settings. I have never had that issue.
Whelp. I didn't intend to post that it was leftover in the drafts box of this forum's message system. I mean, it's TRUE, but I don't really feel like arguing the point because you can very easily look at side by side images of NMS and ED terrain textures and then you either get it or you don't. And if you don't, there's not really anything I can say to you.

Whelp. I didn't intend to post that it was leftover in the drafts box of this forum's message system. I mean, it's TRUE, but I don't really feel like arguing the point because you can very easily look at side by side images of NMS and ED terrain textures and then you either get it or you don't. And if you don't, there's not really anything I can say to you.
Fair enough. :)

I think a storm in a teacup has brewed up between Graxxor and Max Factor...

The way I read Max's comment was Max saying meaning "NMS isn't for me, but I'm glad you enjoy it" which seems not to be how Graxxor read it as meaning, which led to the two of them getting into an unintentional minor tussle arising from a minor misunderstanding. I don't think its Max's style to be as patronising as Graxxor read it, but reading through it I can see why he may have thought Max meant something else, more along the lines of "You enjoy THAT?" and as such why he reacted the way he did. I literally just changed the tone / inflexions of the "inner voice" of my thought processes that I read the comments with to jump from Max's comment meaning one thing to it meaning the other.

I've "known" Max and Graxxor for a long time through this forum, and both are cool, so I'd hate to see a squabble between them.

I hope I'm wrong this time
rest assured, you are. if only because of the qualification "all".

that said, vr is a minor portion of the playerbase that frontier can perfectly live without, and those of us who won't bother with their silly minigames if they lack the vr experience of actually flying in space in that very specific atmosphere (which for us is the whole point of the game) are just a fraction of that.

i could indeed buy odyssey at some point like i can do with any other pancake game that peeks my interest. probably when on sale. i play pancake too! it's just very unlikely i'd be interested in any of frontier's products in pancake mode from what i have seen. who knows, but it would have to shine brightly in its own light as it would be totally unrelated to my 'elite' experience. for illustration: i play in a makeshift simpit that doesn't even have a monitor (it doesn't need one) and is facing away from the monitor. it's a special thing, will never have anything to do with any other industry avg fps grinder no matter what universe it is in or how cool the skins are. there are lots of those around and they aren't even much my thing anymore, the genre has been pretty stagnant for a while and there really needs to be something special in them to peek my interest.

furhter, i make a prediction: there will be something that horizons users can benefit from but has the grind conveniently locked away in odyssey, it will be extra shiny, and some will eventually buy odyssey just for that reason. i can tell you right now with certainty that, whatever it is, that incentive won't work on me. but i'll enjoy the salt on the forums.

so, not "all" of us. :giggle:

Elite use to be unique now looks like Star Citizen 2d and all.
This is a really interesting point. VR differentiated ED from SC, removing it from the new content actually puts them in the same space. I would have thought you would want to differentiate your product.

There are grey rocky planets in ED that are very pixelated unfortunately
This is an image that I took few months ago to highlight the issue and the forum confirmed it's present since some time already:

NMS got some weird graphics and color palette that want to make it intentionally similar to the sci-fi books from the 70's.
Sean Murray had the vision to re-create such worlds. He never wanted to make NMS universe realistic.
That's why I don't think that comparing the graphics of the two games can give an indication about quality.

There are grey rocky planets in ED that are very pixelated unfortunately
This is an image that I took few months ago to highlight the issue and the forum confirmed it's present since some time already:
Are you sure that's not just where the graphics card has not yet been able to generate the terrain? I sometimes see that if I increase my settings to max all the way - but as soon as the textures are generated it sorts itself out. It's not lack of detail, but simply that the detail hasn't been generated in time.

Are you sure that's not just where the graphics card has not yet been able to generate the terrain? I sometimes see that if I increase my settings to max all the way - but as soon as the textures are generated it sorts itself out. It's not lack of detail, but simply that the detail hasn't been generated in time.
No unfortunately it's a know issue that affects rocky planets, especially the grey ones.

I'd like to take a moment to thank all the unique users who have made their voice heard so far. 263 and counting...

Code:
[VR] Andrew Johnson
[VR] andysonofbob
[VR] CaptainPugwash
[VR] Chris
[VR] CMDR Novindus
[VR] DDastardly
[VR] DDM_Reaper20
[VR] Deggial
[VR] Dextrovix
[VR] Enexemander
[VR] Golgot
[VR] Goooost
[VR] Gortron
[VR] Jay Le Chardon
[VR] jefranklin18
[VR] Jim Chapman
[VR] Kemo
[VR] Mad Life Crisis
[VR] Mad Mike
[VR] Marklar
[VR] Mercked
[VR] Mr Teatime
[VR] Murgle
[VR] optimal_909
[VR] Orodruin
[VR] Panzertard
[VR] scipio_77
[VR] SenseiMatty
[VR] sgurr
[VR] Slowfiddler
[VR] Tanais
[VR] tazbert
[VR] The Lawful
[VR] wi03016
[VR] WinterWinds
[VR] zodd
[VR]HaywirePhoenix
[VR]m335
[VR]Wasp0
21 Tauri
777Driver
Abysinth
Aekero
Aldaris
Alec Turner
Alien
amigacooke
Amos
Arioch
ArkSeaJumper
Arthur Tolmie
Ascendingbike42
AsmodeusV
AstroCreep
avow555
Azulkb
B1rdy
babelfisch
Biff Stryker
Bigmaec
Billyjoejohnson
BluStar
Bob McBobblehead
BoggiBlanko
BurntJello
Ca$hback
Captain N
Captain Willard
CaptnPicard2305
CDOTS
Chaz
Chris Simon
ChrisF0001
CMDR Atkinson
CMDR Big Mike
CMDR Brax
CMDR Harada
CMDR Jayce MacLeod
CMDR Karrde Sun
CMDR kraedin
CMDR M Kozak
CMDR Maylor Rom
CMDR QUANTIS TRAP
CMDR WelshSossy
CMDRHammre
CobraCommander
Colonel Kenney
Cosmo
Cpt.Badger
Craith
Crank Larson
Crumly
Cyclinguy
DaggerSnake
Dagwit
dannysquid
Darth Ender
dawud
Deareim
DeeFeeBro
Deejayeff145
Demascus
Dietger
digitus impudicus
DMC831
Dooguk
doswelk
DreamWraith
dumbo
ebbrell
el_tel2
Eminor
Enderby
epoch5
EUS
Ezren
Factabulous
Faybs
Fendalton
Filthymick420
finnos
fitzsteve
Flimley
Floladin
Florenus
Franc Kaos
Frank
Frillop Freyraum
frontier
Ganogati
Glamdring
Glen Fiddik
Golgot
gorankar
govny
GraXXoR
Greg
GroundCombo
Gully_Foyle
heathenlamb
Heavenly-Hammer
Highlander71
Hopix
House0fDerp
Huita
Iain L
IamMe
Ian Phillips
ianstrauss
Ignition
itarrow
jojon
Joss C. K.
jyla1981
Kamiyoda
Kaocraft
Kapow
Katie Byrne
Kellan Fell
Kelster87
kilvenny
kingfu
Koni Zentri
Leadfoot
leeG
lefty1117
lemon407
LeoBartlet85
Leper Messiah
Little*jobbie
Lordxenu
LoyalOrange503
MadDogMurdock
Maggie_Oz
MagicPuncher
MarikMonika
McBright
McKeon
McSlim
Merkir
Mogen Teras
Momatty
Morbad
Morgan Grimes
Moto13k
Murphy1135
Nephilim
Nieblaashx
Nomadski
npcole
ObiW
Old Duck
Paso
Patrick_68000
Phoenix_Dfire
Plaid_unicorn
pprovart
PUGS16
Quddus
Quiquag
Ravenx444
Reems
rhiz
Rmolinajr
rp198419
Rubbernuke
Sanderling
Scubadog
SectorZero
SenX
Shanaeri
shreddog
Sidey
Silektuo99
Snowymonk
Sphinx2k
Stamford Rider
steeljacket488
StuartGT
Sylveria
Sysmon
Tenshi
Thann
Tharrn
THECATISDEAD
thesnowdog
thistle
Thrender Grone
TieKnee
Tjago
TransTechGirl
Trepidor
Turd Ferguson
Tygra
Tyler-Rid
ubedead
umbabrahattasil
Un1k0rn
user
Vahnkiljoy
valbarr
Vandaahl
Vasea Azure
Vasious
VerticalBlank
Viajero
-VR- Max Factor
-VR- pipestein
VR StarLightPL
wabboo
Warlord007
Wayland Pentonville
wickfut
Winterwalker
Wokawidget
Wrecked
Yaga-Shura
yandoo
ZeeWolf
ZeroAi
zimms
znôrt
Zorvan
You left my name out. Just saying. At least 264. No VR, no buy.

I really don't remember saying I wouldn't buy EDO if it doesn't have VR. I know I'd prefer it, but until I have my Rift S, I'm not going to claim I won't buy it because it lacks VR - this is FDev, there could be a bunch of other reasons it's not worth the coin. But then, I'm also not quite cynical enough to entirely have given up on the idea that further updates will reveal it's coming, just not at launch.

Top Bottom