VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

How are you allowing for those that joined this thread to state they don't care about VR? While there weren't many, they will affect the numbers.

Not that the numbers really matter, as far as I am concerned. It's the fact that FD are going backwards.
You're right it's not an exact science, but it's a lot more than the suggested 10. I've read almost every post and can tell you the against/apathy/troll posts are few.

How are you allowing for those that joined this thread to state they don't care about VR? While there weren't many, they will affect the numbers.

Not that the numbers really matter, as far as I am concerned. It's the fact that FD are going backwards.
Not me, I only sifted through the list. Also the original post was thanking people for voicing their opinion.

Oh this is poetic:
Code:
$ cat unique_thread_users.txt | grep -P '^.*VR\b'
-VR- Max Factor
-VR- pipestein
VR StarLightPL
[VR] Andrew Johnson
[VR] CMDR Novindus
[VR] CaptainPugwash
[VR] Chris
[VR] DDM_Reaper20
[VR] DDastardly
[VR] Deggial
[VR] Dextrovix
[VR] Enexemander
[VR] Golgot
[VR] Goooost
[VR] Gortron
[VR] Jay Le Chardon
[VR] Jim Chapman
[VR] Kemo
[VR] Mad Life Crisis
[VR] Mad Mike
[VR] Marklar
[VR] Mercked
[VR] Mr Teatime
[VR] Murgle
[VR] Orodruin
[VR] Panzertard
[VR] SenseiMatty
[VR] Slowfiddler
[VR] Tanais
[VR] The Lawful
[VR] WinterWinds
[VR] andysonofbob
[VR] jefranklin18
[VR] optimal_909
[VR] scipio_77
[VR] sgurr
[VR] tazbert
[VR] wi03016
[VR] zodd
[VR]HaywirePhoenix
[VR]Wasp0
[VR]m335
$ cat unique_thread_users.txt | grep -P '^.*VR\b' | wc -l
🤯

Agreed, and if bean counters only see in numbers then this thread should speak volumes. See above^ #2113

Unfortunately, vibrant as the EDVR scene is, we are but a drop in the ocean here on the forum. The 1% rule and all that.

Pragmatically speaking, FDev have made their call already, and it'll doubtless be due to the numbers (ROI, budgeting constaints, what have you). Only a change in the numbers will open the gate to an official release I reckon. (So a solid Odyssey launch, or further expansion of the VR market, a successful launch for PS5VR, stuff like that maybe?)

(In the meantime, there's always the 'experimental' option as a possible halfway house. Add your name to the proposal in my sig if it takes your fancy ;))

Not me, I only sifted through the list. Also the original post was thanking people for voicing their opinion.

Oh this is poetic:
Code:
-VR- Max Factor
-VR- pipestein
VR StarLightPL
[VR] Andrew Johnson
[VR] CMDR Novindus
[VR] CaptainPugwash
[VR] Chris
[VR] DDM_Reaper20
[VR] DDastardly
[VR] Deggial
[VR] Dextrovix
[VR] Enexemander
[VR] Golgot
[VR] Goooost
[VR] Gortron
[VR] Jay Le Chardon
[VR] Jim Chapman
[VR] Kemo
[VR] Mad Life Crisis
[VR] Mad Mike
[VR] Marklar
[VR] Mercked
[VR] Mr Teatime
[VR] Murgle
[VR] Orodruin
[VR] Panzertard
[VR] SenseiMatty
[VR] Slowfiddler
[VR] Tanais
[VR] The Lawful
[VR] WinterWinds
[VR] andysonofbob
[VR] jefranklin18
[VR] optimal_909
[VR] scipio_77
[VR] sgurr
[VR] tazbert
[VR] wi03016
[VR] zodd
[VR]HaywirePhoenix
[VR]Wasp0
[VR]m335
not everyone that is for EDOVR has changed their username or even saw that post suggesting it. I had already removed duplicates but missed the @s, updated original post. #2,113

Last edited:
Some people still seem to think the members of the CM team are their "gaming buddies", or part of the regular community.

Community management is a nicer term for marketing. They'll talk to you again when they want to sell you something. And don't forget to subscribe to the saleletter.
Actually...
Frontier have a current advert posted for a Community Manager - https://hitmarker.net/amp/jobs/554068 - from which...

Responsibilities:
• Generate and host original content for our channels (Twitch/YouTube/events) to raise product visibility and awareness
• Planning and scheduling initiatives to drive engagement within the relevant communities
• Positively engage across all channels as a representative of Frontier
• Work closely with internal teams (PR, Marketing, Product Management, Customer Support, and Developers) to better support our gaming communities and communication strategies
• Organise and participate in events and groups to build communities and grow awareness
• Build relationships with players and industry professionals.

About You Essential:
• Ability to communicate confidently and effectively both verbally and in writing
• Collaborative approach
• Pro-active and creative approach to projects and content
• Confident working in a fast-paced environment and able to react positively to change
• Ability to accurately report and monitor feedback
• Fluency in spoken and written English
• Willing and able to travel to industry events and conventions
• A passion for video games
• Experience in a similar CM role with emphasis on live streaming and written content creation
• Good understanding of social media channels.

Beneficial:
• Experience in the gaming industry
• Knowledge of streaming software (OBS) and hardware.
• Second European language
• Knowledge of Frontier games.
According to Frontier's Job Description for a community manager, it is part of their job to be "our buddies".

Actually...
Frontier have a current advert posted for a Community Manager - https://hitmarker.net/amp/jobs/554068 - from which...

According to Frontier's Job Description for a community manager, it is part of their job to be "our buddies".
From the job perks:

"We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 500+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success."

That has got to be the best Freudian slip ever. I know they mean life insurance but still, that's hilarious!

Actually...

To be honest, none of the points you highlighted would mean to me that they are our buddies. At the end of the day, their job is to increase sales. They may pretend to be your friends, but they really are not and it's even a bit naive to assume otherwise.

From the job perks:

"We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 500+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success."

That has got to be the best Freudian slip ever. I know they mean life insurance but still, that's hilarious!
"You exist CMDR. This is not a space simulation."

To be honest, none of the points you highlighted would mean to me that they are our buddies. At the end of the day, their job is to increase sales. They may pretend to be your friends, but they really are not and it's even a bit naive to assume otherwise.
Same with any engagement of organisation with the public, but sure those points in a CM job description don't mean I'm going to expect them to send birthday cards to my kids, but I think it shows that someone somewhere within FDev expect the CM to "Positively engage across all channels as a representative of Frontier " & "Build relationships with players" (disingenuous or otherwise). I'm just an engineer & project manager, so I'm maybe not au fait with gaming buzzwords, but I'd reckon that not answering questions from customers is in contravention of those terms?

Pragmatically speaking, FDev have made their call already, and it'll doubtless be due to the numbers (ROI, budgeting constaints, what have you). Only a change in the numbers will open the gate to an official release I reckon. (So a solid Odyssey launch, or further expansion of the VR market, a successful launch for PS5VR, stuff like that maybe?)
If the Odyssey sales numbers are solid I would expect Frontier to say "Cool, we dodged a bullet there with this VR thing....now how are we doing on that Hollywood tie-in title and how many devs do we need to assign to that?". Call me an old cynic ;)

Oh this is poetic:
Code:
$ cat unique_thread_users.txt | grep -P '^.*VR\b'
-VR- Max Factor
-VR- pipestein
VR StarLightPL
[VR] Andrew Johnson
[VR] CMDR Novindus
[VR] CaptainPugwash
[VR] Chris
[VR] DDM_Reaper20
[VR] DDastardly
[VR] Deggial
[VR] Dextrovix
[VR] Enexemander
[VR] Golgot
[VR] Goooost
[VR] Gortron
[VR] Jay Le Chardon
[VR] Jim Chapman
[VR] Kemo
[VR] Mad Life Crisis
[VR] Mad Mike
[VR] Marklar
[VR] Mercked
[VR] Mr Teatime
[VR] Murgle
[VR] Orodruin
[VR] Panzertard
[VR] SenseiMatty
[VR] Slowfiddler
[VR] Tanais
[VR] The Lawful
[VR] WinterWinds
[VR] andysonofbob
[VR] jefranklin18
[VR] optimal_909
[VR] scipio_77
[VR] sgurr
[VR] tazbert
[VR] wi03016
[VR] zodd
[VR]HaywirePhoenix
[VR]Wasp0
[VR]m335
$ cat unique_thread_users.txt | grep -P '^.*VR\b' | wc -l
🤯
Well it had to be didn't it?

If the Odyssey sales numbers are solid I would expect Frontier to say "Cool, we dodged a bullet there with this VR thing....now how are we doing on that Hollywood tie-in title and how many devs do we need to assign to that?". Call me an old cynic ;)

Always possible. But too much default cynicism for me ;). I see them being more comfortable with a passion play if they've got a plump pillow of cash underneath them ;)

(And discussed before, the franchise may be sitting nearer to the red than is comfortable right now, until they get Odyssey to market...)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
From the job perks:

Well, at least the slip wasnt including life time expansion pass. 😁

edit: Given the tipe of typo it looks like the original note may have been written by a French speaker.

Top Bottom