Void's Independent Research: Raxxla

I have decided to release part of my recent research project into Raxxla. For the record, I have not found Raxxla but you can bet I will release an Independent Research Report in the event I do.

The following assumptions have been made in this research:
  • Raxxla can be found
  • Raxxla was found prior to 2296
  • Raxxla exists in a location that can be confirmed accurate within the established lore constraints.

1) Establishing a Foundation
To establish a base we have to go way way back to the first time Raxxla was used. Everyone who has studied into Raxxla has read this before:

Cora comes home soused and raving with wild stories, a new one every night. She claims she's found a map to some pirate stash, and all I have to do is loan her my ship so we can go dig it up. Maybe we should go find Raxxla while we're at it!
— From the journal of Art Tornqvist, circa 2296

This is the first instance Raxxla is used in lore according to the codex. Art Tornqvist is never used again in lore but is stated to have been a mechanic based out of Tau Ceti. I have thus established 2296 as the maximum timeframe that "Raxxla" could have been discovered by someone.

Working backwards through the lore I have determined the following tentative dates:

Tau Ceti Founded < 2159

Tau Ceti was the first colony established outside of Sol. Tau Ceti 3 (now called Taylor Colony) had long been determined viable for habitation with life already present (due to free oxygen detected in the atmosphere absorption spectra) - though observation and probe data confirmed this. By 2159, the settlement was largely self-sufficient and able to elect a civilian administrator.
-First Interstellar Colony Beacon: Tau Ceti

Delta Pavonis 2190-2230
Altair 2190-2230
Beta Hydri 2190-2230

Other colonies followed soon after. Delta Pavonis, Beta Hydri and Altair were all explored and settled between 2190 and 2230, and an uncontrolled expansion followed, with corporations and all sorts of groups of private individuals heading off into the stars. There was a 'wild west gold rush' atmosphere to it all, as news of vast tracts of land, huge wealth, giant dinosaur-like beast, and heroic acts filtered back to Earth, with the romance of the process causing many to want to leave the mother planet.
-Early Colonies Beacon: Delta Parvonis​

Thus far in my research the following systems undoubted had colonists and thus human activity:

• Sol
  • Tau Ceti
  • Delta Pavonis
  • Altair
  • Beta Hydri
  • Achenar

However, it is also important to note that there is nothing constraining Raxxla to simply a System that was colonized. This is thanks to a beacon in Tau Ceti:

The 22nd century saw early pioneering projects begin to take shape. The discovery of a workable hyperspace theory and the design of the first unreliable, inefficient and slow 'faster than light' drive (compared to those we are used to in 3300) opened the possibility of exploration and settlement. A new frontier of science and engineering opened, confirmed by the first detailed messages and system scans to be received back to Earth from an interstellar probe sent to the Tau Ceti system years earlier. This led to a corporate race-for-the-stars as massive colony projects were founded, funded, built and launched, together with hundreds of automated probes sent to all the nearby systems.
-Early Hyperspace Beacon: Tau Ceti​

This opens the possibility for potentially 'hundreds' of automated probes to have discovered Raxxla and if we assume numerical rules apply to this statement than no more then 999 stars were sent probes. Since this beacon also states "all" the nearby systems we can infer a maximum distance these probes could have possibly discovered Raxxla: 999th system from sol is Core Sys Sector UD-T a3-0.
#999 lies at a distance of 44.7Ly from sol. Of the Colonies established above, the furthest is Beta Hydri at 24.31 LY meaning they too fall within this range for consistency purposes. If you assume that the system containing Raxxla is presently populated it narrows the field down to 450 potential systems.

Marlin Duval & Achenar Investigating a Min and Max speed
Achenar: Founded in the mid: 2200's - Founded by Marlin Duval 139.45Ly from Sol.

The 22nd century saw early pioneering projects begin to take shape. The discovery of a workable hyperspace theory and the design of the first unreliable, inefficient and slow '[1][faster than light]' drive (compared to those we are used to in 3300) opened the possibility of exploration and settlement...
-Early Hyperspace Beacon: Tau Ceti​

Between the time that Achenar was discovered: circa 2250 and the earliest FTL travel was developed is >=2100, this gives a maximum travel time of 150 years for the exploration and colonization leading up to the colonization of Achenar. Due to the nature of Faster than light travel we can deduce that Marlin Duval was traveling at a rate > 1c. This means that the minimum time it would have taken her to arrive at Achenar would be 139 years. Since we know that Achenar was colonized circa 2250 we can calculate that Marlin Duval had to have set off for Achenar some time after 2,111 = (2250-139).

Upon Marlin's death, her brother Henson Duval succeeded the throne, unofficially ruling from 2296 (Marlins death) and officially from 2230 (When he reformed the government and crowned himself) until his death in 2402. He ruled for almost 106 years. It is also suspected that he killed Marlin meaning Henson was in Achenar at the time of Marlin's untimely death. Additionally given his popularity with the 'colonists' we can establish that he most likely was in Achenar in 2996.

Going forward from here a couple assumptions would need to be made:

A. Henson was born on Achenar
If Henson was born on Achenar then Marlin would have had to have brought her parents to Achenar with her. Ultimately, this means that more lore would need to be released to approximate a min and max for 'how fast' ships traveling to Achenar to establish a bubble. All we know at this point is that is was >1C.

B. Henson was born before Achenar mission and brought to Achenar
If Henson was born before Achenar there is no mathematical way to deduce how fast and/or long it took Marlin to arrive in Achenar. This is because it would make Henson a minimum age of 150 years old when Achenar was founded. Given that Progenitor Cells currently exist in game as a commodity and given it extends one's lifespan, we can't proceed forward and/or use lifespans as a measure of time for determining minimums and maximums unless explicitly stated in lore.

C. Henson was born after Achenar was discovered and Travels to Achenar after it's colonization
If Henson was born on or after 2250 then given he was in Achenar at the time of his sisters death we can deduce that it took a maximum of 46 years for him to reach (assuming he lived to 150) and thus a minimum possible speed of 3.03c (139.45Ly / 46Years = 3.03Ly/y). Calculating the maximum upward boundary is impossible without less vague descriptions on just how fast these ships were capable of. If the maximum of 2001c was used (our current maximum) then we find that the journey from Sol to Achenar would take only 25 days at a constant speed of 2001c.

139.45ly / 2001LY/Y = .06969Y = 25.43days

Given this maximum, between 2296 (first recorded usage of Raxxla) and the earliest year FSD tech could have been created: 2100, Raxxla would have been discovered between Sol and any star up to 392,196 light years away. This creates a bubble that extends 192,000LY beyond the LMG and SMC.

<Generation Ship Research>

2. Theory Crafting
[This Research Document is Tentative and will be expanded as I conduct research]

Intriguing Observation:​

During my research into Achenar I made the observation the first recorded usage of Raxxla was 2296, oddly the same exact year that Henson is suspected to have assassinated his sister. He then ruled Achenar for 106 years and thus created a link between Raxxla - Achenar - Henson - and Marlin which will be explored further. Additionally Art's codex entry insinuates a fountain of youth, did progenitors exist at this time? If not how would it be possible for Henson to live well beyond the 'average' lifespan? If they did exist why would you reference a place now obsolete?

Superweapon

Symbol Analysis

-Void

Last edited:
In my personal search I’m starting with trying to find the dark wheel. I figure even if they haven’t found it, they may have some leads. Both the founding of TDW and the first mentions of Raxxla happen in the early days of interstellar travel. When we had FTL FSD’s but they did not do hyperspace jumps, so they were effectively relegated to a slower Supercruise.
Given that these places were founded/discovered at most 50 years after the advent of interstellar travel, and without hyperspace jumps, I figure both should be within 100-150ly of sol in any direction (300 ly sphere) So I’ve been searching that area but even in that “small” area there’s a TON of systems.
I imagine TDW at least is located in a “non populated” system. Being they use an early starport that became abandoned at some point, I figure it was either a proof of concept port or it was an early system that didn’t pan out and was abandoned. But without a way to plot routes with multiple filters (unvisited and 0 pop) I gotta check all systems populated or not. Found some cool things so far but no magic planet or DW base as of yet.

Good to see someone taking into account the difference between early hyperspace utilisaton and mass scale utilisation.

Bear in mind, that it wasn't just probes, but also test pilots, and some pioneering (or reckless) individuals.

Also, bear in mind that what's being talked about in the quote is colonisation efforts. Probes wouldn't have just been colonisation orientated or local. Other systems of interest would be targetted. These might be for all kind of reasons - science, commercial, religious, etc. All it takes is an individual or organisation to be able to afford a probe and they can send it wherever they want (or at least try to).

Oh and Achenar was colonised in the middle of the 23rd century by the way, not the 24th.

Sol to Achenar is 139.47ly.

Oh and just in case here's a bit of additional info that I just happen to have more or less at hand; the minimum jump range for plotting from Sol to Achenar is between 8.63 and 8.74.

I wouldn't normally bother with this stuff but, having just listened to OA's livestream with DJT wittering on about Raxxla, I feel compelled to point out that Raxxla's location wouldn't need be a world that was populated (or even "discovered") in 2296.

That's kind of like assuming that the Vikings of 1000AD didn't spend their winters in America cos it wasn't "discovered" until 1492AD.

Beyond that, at the risk of raining on anybody's lore-parade, I can't help thinking that (if it is ever revealed) Raxxla's location will turn out to be in some currently permit-locked location, which'll be unlocked at a key point in the ongoing story.

It's probably on the moon. :p

I wouldn't normally bother with this stuff but, having just listened to OA's livestream with DJT wittering on about Raxxla, I feel compelled to point out that Raxxla's location wouldn't need be a world that was populated (or even "discovered") in 2296.

That's kind of like assuming that the Vikings of 1000AD didn't spend their winters in America cos it wasn't "discovered" until 1492AD.

Beyond that, at the risk of raining on anybody's lore-parade, I can't help thinking that (if it is ever revealed) Raxxla's location will turn out to be in some currently permit-locked location, which'll be unlocked at a key point in the ongoing story.

It's probably on the moon. :p
The first time Raxxla is used to describe a myth is a great indicator on what dates there after Raxxla wasnt discovered. Its like me saying

"I spoke with Stealthie today" - 2019.

Now I cant tell you how old you are or even when you were born but I can certainly tell you that Stealthie was alive in 2019.

Raxxla would have to have been discovered if it was cited in text assuming< it does exist >. The mere fact that it is referenced infers someone discovered it.

The first time Raxxla is used to describe a myth is a great indicator on what dates there after Raxxla wasnt discovered. Its like me saying

"I spoke with Stealthie today" - 2019.

Now I cant tell you how old you are or even when you were born but I can certainly tell you that Stealthie was alive in 2019.

Raxxla would have to have been discovered if it was cited in text assuming< it does exist >. The mere fact that it is referenced infers someone discovered it.
Yeah, i realise that.

I'm saying that you can't eliminate planets that weren't officially "discovered" or colonised before that date because a planet not being "discovered" or colonised wouldn't prevent a secret organisation from basing themselves on such a planet.

Again, I'm no expert but DJT seems to think that Humanity had travelled roughly 1000Ly from Sol by the time Raxxla was first mentioned which means, basically, that Raxxla could be anywhere in the bubble... including any of the planets that are currently permit-locked or unlandable.

From the tidbits I have read, I get the impression that characters alleged to be from Raxxla showed up at various intervals which would seem to suggest that it isn't somewhere on the fringes of Humanity (at that time).
I mean, if it took a lifetime to travel to Raxxla, that'd be a helluva commute for the people who were based there.

Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be on the Moon. ;)

This is some good research.

I am also happy to see that it ties in with some of my own recent research, as I was too looking at the possibility that Raxxla was possibly a location within the old Human systems.

The short version is, I read the article describing the old Galcop empire and the initial developement of space travel. The method before hyperspace and FSD's was a simple waypoint jump system, that was largely inefficient and relied on mulitple waypoint stations to aid in a starships jumps.

Now why is this important? Well while reading about Galcop (See below) I noticed a reference to an old hyperspace fuel named Quirium. This fuel was described as having a 'short jump range but if engineered or modified allowed vessels to jump large distances or even to other galaxies', and was discovered then lost to the human race, which sounds alot like Raxxla's description.

My Theory is that Raxxla is potentially an old colony/planet/outpost (much like the INARA bases) which is a former Galcop R&D base and will likely contain Quirium or the recipe for a Quirium alternative.

"In 3125, most hyperdrives were powered by a fuel known as Quirium, a high energy density material produced exclusively by the Galactic Cooperative, which carefully guarded the secret formula. Most Quirium-based hyperdrives had a limited jump range, but some people were allegedly able to engineer drives to jump across the galaxy or even to other galaxies. It is rumored that the Quirium hyperdrive was reverse-engineered from captured Thargoid ships.[2] When GalCop collapsed in 3174, it took the secrets of Quirium production with it, and without any fuel, Quirium hyperdrives quickly became inoperable. For the next 100 years, faster-than-light travel (FTL) was done using slower and more primitive methods.

During the first Thargoid conflict, the Galactic Cooperative captured a number of Thargoid ships which fell into the possession of the Alliance decades after GalCop's demise. By the 3270s, the Alliance was able to reverse-engineer Thargoid technology to produce the single most consequential hyperdrive innovation in centuries: the Frame Shift Drive.[3] The FSD reduced travel times in hyperspace from hours to mere seconds, opening the floodgates for human exploration and expansion.

Now why is this important? Well while reading about Galcop (See below) I noticed a reference to an old hyperspace fuel named Quirium. This fuel was described as having a 'short jump range but if engineered or modified allowed vessels to jump large distances or even to other galaxies', and was discovered then lost to the human race, which sounds alot like Raxxla's description.
Love a bit of Quirium.

Top Bottom