Vette First Timer

Hi all, have unlocked the Corvette, a ship I’ve had on my ‘must try’ bucket list for a while.

Would appreciate some build tips and discussion for this ship for a couple of play styles, primarily combat and trading/mining.

Have read / seen a bunch of posts and videos, some of which might be out of date in terms of today’s Elite game mechanics. A few scenarios spring to mind though:

- I’d like to try for Elite Combat, and this seems eons away from being about 40% Dangerous. Whilst this is a big ship with loads of firepower, it’s be nice to take a dent out of the remaining combat ranks with this ship for a while. I still love my smaller and more manoeuvrable combat ships obviously but I need to inject some form of differentiation! Never done CZs for some reason in all my time in Elite, might have to get in there.

- In terms of mining or trading, I know these play style very well but would be interesting to give these a go with a ship like this. Any tips here? I’ve seen DTEA mining in his cucumber build and he makes it look easy in a ship this size...

And - what other cool things are there to do in a Corvette? Suggestions welcome! :) thanks all.

Hi all, have unlocked the Corvette, a ship I’ve had on my ‘must try’ bucket list for a while.

Would appreciate some build tips and discussion for this ship for a couple of play styles, primarily combat and trading/mining.

Have read / seen a bunch of posts and videos, some of which might be out of date in terms of today’s Elite game mechanics. A few scenarios spring to mind though:

- I’d like to try for Elite Combat, and this seems eons away from being about 40% Dangerous. Whilst this is a big ship with loads of firepower, it’s be nice to take a dent out of the remaining combat ranks with this ship for a while. I still love my smaller and more manoeuvrable combat ships obviously but I need to inject some form of differentiation! Never done CZs for some reason in all my time in Elite, might have to get in there.

- In terms of mining or trading, I know these play style very well but would be interesting to give these a go with a ship like this. Any tips here? I’ve seen DTEA mining in his cucumber build and he makes it look easy in a ship this size...

And - what other cool things are there to do in a Corvette? Suggestions welcome! :) thanks all.
If your intent is to rank up in Combat, one thing you could do is start AX hunting in your lovely new 'vette, though I would personally suggest getting used to her first. you will have learned by now that of the Big Three, the 'Vette is a fast, manoeuverable and tough killing machine and it is - it's just your first few times around the block with her she is going to be a LOT of ship for you to handle. A-rate everything, take the weapons loadout of your choice (I personally prefer ballistic weapons in a 'vette), enter a High-Rez and open a GIANT can of whoop-asp on your overly confident prey. ;) You'll learn quick - a certain amount of Engineering will go a LONG way, so start on the powerplant, armour and thrusters. Get them hull reinforcement modules upgraded as well because when fighting the hypercaffienated space crickets, you're gonna need it!
The 'Vette's a monster in battle and one type of fight she excels at is AX smackery.
First - this is important - get some decent and heavy armour on that thing, including hull and module reinforcement. When fighting Thargoids you need a HULL tank and the tankier you are, the better. Bring a great shield of course, but 'Goids use phasing technology to shoot their spit and missiles right through your shields to attack the hull, so you want LOTS of hull. The Corvette has a LOT of hull. ;)
Second, you will need AX weapons - the 'vette can mount four large turreted AX MC's plus a ton of other weaponry; which goes through Scouts like a chainsaw in a balsa forest. You'll need a xeno scanner as well to identify the little monsters, repair and decontam limpets and time on your hands. ;)
Hile thee up to the Pleiades where the bugs like to hang out, drop into threat-level 4 NHSS's and there you go - one big can of Raid shaped like a Star Destroyer.
Chuckle - have fun!

Oh - and one other thing. While all ships benefit of course, one ship that simply screams for FA/Off flight is the Federal Corvette. FA/On, she's a tough, capable bruiser. With Flight Assist off, she's a tough, capable bruiser that knows Kung Fu. She's fast, crazy manoeuverable for her size and dances like a ballerina - albeit a ballerina built like Chris Farley. ;)
Cheers!

Last edited:
My Corvette is configured as a armed trader currently. It can haul three Elite cargo missions (two 180T and one 120T) at one time and kills anything and everything stupid enough to interdict me (I play strictly solo and Mobius).

Back when I was going after combat Elite I used gimbaled MCs instead of turrets, but that was over two years ago and I'm lazier now. ;) There were no aliens back then so I spent most of my time in CNBs killing anything and everything I could catch until my eyes bled.

I'm not real big on mining, but I did mine a few billion worth of LTDs doing core mining for a bit. And still killed any pirates stupid enough come by.

I don't go after whatever min/max config is in vogue for a given week/month. A few days ago I was hauling Elite cargo missions and took on 8 condas, two T10s, and a FDL. And I didn't even need my SCBs. And I've never needed armor in solo. But I've not tried the new CZs as I'm not really interested in shooting bullet sponges, nor am I interested in bug hunts (aliens). A couple of SCBs and I'm good to go. It also makes my vette handle a bit better as well. The difference in handling between my G5 Python and my G5 Corvette is not that much. I think I actually do better in the Corvette now than the Python (also a armed trader).

You should see lots of configurations here. Pick one, try it out, and start trying different stuff. And above all, have fun with the new Corvette! :D

With a vette you can put anything in... Just remember - don't be limited by the "need" for a symmetrical build. First go through all the additional effects there are, select the ones you want considering your style of play and skill (don't bother with super penetrating rails if you can't use them properly - learn that in another ship), then select the weapons and map the size/layout. For any fixed weaponry go for central-most mounts, leave the outer ones for gimballs.

Cool. Now turn around, sell it ASAP and never return to the subject. And apologize for your transgression. As a penance unlock the one and fair and just - Imperial Cutter.

Shame on you.

Based on the shape it could be used as a wedge to crack open one or two asteroids before it would surely broke. Just need to get some serious speed before hitting one. Oh, and turn off shields, they lessen the impact and reduce the effect.

I heard that it's fun going nose dive right into the star or trying to check how deep it will bury into high G planet after boosting when nose landing...

###########

Jokes aside - gratz on getting pocket bottle..I mean .. battleship. Unlike majority here mine is used for cargo transport exclusively. My personal RP is she is decomissioned warmachine. Served her time in military, stripped from all the pew-pew, empty space fitted for cargo duty. Some medium sized shields just to avoid landing damage, nothign fancy. Rest is just racks.

I must say it's funny to do simple cargo runs in this ship. Slow, short jumping, not the best cargo capacity (for min maxing other ships are better), limited mission sources (L pad only). But that feel, long nose ahead. People biowaste themselves when they see you approach and then you unload... 200t of fruits.

Thanks for all the replies, guys... lots to get stuck into. Yes will have to go for a few familiarisation flights.... it's a big ship! This thing looks pretty awesome, it just screams '80s spaceship' to me.

While all ships benefit of course, one ship that simply screams for FA/Off flight is the Federal Corvette. FA/On, she's a tough, capable bruiser. With Flight Assist off, she's a tough, capable bruiser that knows Kung Fu. She's fast, crazy manoeuverable for her size and dances like a ballerina
Wasn't expecting to hear that for a ship of this size; I am a 100% FA Off man, so this is awesome news. Very much looking forward to piloting this.

I just dropped by to offer my condolences on your new purchase. :p
I said I Unlocked it, Crank, didn't say I bought it...! (but I'm gonna buy it later ;-) ) Why do you say that out of interest? Are you a Clipper man? Small ships man? I have fully G5ed Python and Krait II, fancied trying a step up.

You should see lots of configurations here. Pick one, try it out, and start trying different stuff. And above all, have fun with the new Corvette!
Yes there's lots to choose from. I thin I have a basic build in mind, will create it in Coriolis and post later today. Will go for beams and multi-cannons and go sit in a HazRes for a 'shakedown' flight. I've seen there are actually many different slants and flavours on how to build this ship out, and that's one of things I've found quite interesting about it.

If your intent is to rank up in Combat, one thing you could do is start AX hunting in your lovely new 'vette,
Yeah that actually sounds like quite a good challenge. Had always thought I'd do bug hunting in a smaller ship first. Am a bug hunting newbie also (primarily because the game has such poor instruction I've never got round to reading the manual researching on YouTube ./ reddit how to go about doing the Thargoid bashing thing.

Do people stick Guardian FSD boosters on this ship out of interest?

Cool. Now turn around, sell it ASAP and never return to the subject. And apologize for your transgression. As a penance unlock the one and fair and just - Imperial Cutter.
LOL. I really want to get one of those, but jeepers, the grind..... the Fed grind might be more involved, but it's much more fruitful per run.... unless I've been doing the Imperial grind wrong... just unlocked Clipper yesterday as it happens.

Last edited:
Based on the shape it could be used as a wedge to crack open one or two asteroids ...
All joking aside, that long schnozz is pretty good for batting fragments that have been captured by a rock away from it so your limpets dont commit suicide trying to pick it up. Being broader and flatter it's better for these purposes than the 'conda or cutter. Once you get good at it you can sweep fragments into open space without even brushing your shields on the large rock.

just unlocked Clipper yesterday as it happens.
Then there's a hope for you. Clipper is mighty fine medium ship, just DEVS borked its dimensions and it's 5cm too long/wide/tall and doesn't fit into M-pad so they made it large ship. And for large ship it's fast, agile and mighty fine looking one. If you're struggling with "unlock requirements" for the Cutter you may stop at Clipper. Just don't delay for too long.

Do people stick Guardian FSD boosters on this ship out of interest?
Heh, this is my mandatory module to install on every ship of mine. The only exceptions are pure cargo haulers where space has priority and I move between systems that are close to each other so no real need and benefit from booster there. If you plan to mine or do more than 20 LYs range trading it's good to have it, even at the cost of lowered cargo space. If you move in the limited space just use booster to get there and then replace with additional cargo rack.

See the Light...
Resistance build
Been interested in building an all beam Vette - looking at your config I have a few questions though:

1) How does all fixed work with time-on-target?
2) Are you using different fire groups given that Thermal Vent will cook your ship if you don't hit a target with all beams?
3) Related to 2, is that why some of the beams have Thermal Shock applied?
4) Does Thermal Shock make a difference vs NPCs?
5) How does this all-beam build cope in terms of distro draw? Heat, apart from the above issues, should probably be manageable due to Thermal Vent?

Cheers!

There are only 2 great Imperial ships... The Eagle and Courier... Ignore the 'baskers' as the large ships are disgusting and should be made 200 to a roll and be given a useful purpose :)

A lot of good, powerful builds suggested here, it isn't surprising that so much bleating about NPC's being too easy if they are the 'standard', but it takes all kinds.

I won't bother posting my 'everday' Corvette build as it would offend the powercrazed folk, but it does give me fun and leaves some challenge in Haz RES and CZ' farming.

(only joking about the Imperial ships, well mostly...)

Top Bottom