Newcomer / Intro Unable to land in Space Station

Power priority on the bottom right of the HUD, 6 pips to move between system, engines and weapons. You can fly without touching them but once you get the basics out of the way then best to learn how to use them.

Unable to request docking

Hi Everyone,

So i am a brand new PS4 player and so naturally a noob. I've decided t post here instead of creating a new thread as is does still linda relate to the OP's issue.

I played the tutorials and was shown how to dock at a space station. How to approach, how to request docking and how to land.

However since going into solo play I have been unable to request docking at any space station I have visited in the last 2 days. The Request Docking option is just not there when I choose the station from the Navigation list.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but have no idea what.

Can someone please put me out of my misery.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
You refer to lateral movement without yaw if I read your reply correctly? I thought the only lateral movement was possible by using roll left and right which is where I seem to overshoot.
Yes, you should, unless the PS4 is different from PC, have six degrees of independent movement:

Up/down while staying otherwise still (vertical thrusters)
left/right while staying otherwise still (strafe apparently)
forward backwards while staying otherwise still (throttle)

In other words, you can do all of those without pitching, rolling or yawing.

The you can roll (one wing up, other wing down)
pitch (nose up, tail down and vice-versa)
yaw (rotating about an axis as if you were a butterfly pinned to a specimen board)

Does that help?

ETA - yaw is intentionally very weak indeed.

Last edited:
Some nitpicking here with Yaffle:

For translation along the three axes, you have two types of control even: throttles (for analogue input, gradually) and thrusters (digital input, on/off).
To make things a bit more complicated (but easier to fly), you can also assign so-called "landing overrides" which will replace (or supplement) your regular input in the case your landing gear is down.
This lets you (or me) use the throttle(s) for all regular flight maneouvers and, once the landing gear is down, short bursts from the thrusters to nudge the ship where I want her to be (unless you're in a high g environment - don't even think about using thrusters in that case).

But it all depends on whether your input device will provide enough channels for all of these.

Oh, and if your yaw is slow, you got the wrong ship :p

Yep, right there is the answer. Thank you man.

There is just too much stuff to remember, but I'm getting there slowly.
There's so much to take in when you first start playing! It becomes second nature really quick though, enjoy those early victories! I remember when just landing a ship in an efficient manner was a big deal for me! :)

Bottom right of your HUD, three little bars marked SYS, ENG and WEP

On default binding the arrow keys re-adjust the "pips". More in ENG improves the speed your boost re-charges and gives you better manoeuverability, more in SYS re-charges your shields faster and more in WEP stops your weapons running outta juice.

Yes, you should, unless the PS4 is different from PC, have six degrees of independent movement:

Up/down while staying otherwise still (vertical thrusters)
left/right while staying otherwise still (strafe apparently)
forward backwards while staying otherwise still (throttle)

In other words, you can do all of those without pitching, rolling or yawing.

The you can roll (one wing up, other wing down)
pitch (nose up, tail down and vice-versa)
yaw (rotating about an axis as if you were a butterfly pinned to a specimen board)

Does that help?

ETA - yaw is intentionally very weak indeed.
Because of the limited number of controls on a PS4 gamepad the programmers have doubled up on the functionality of some of the gamepad buttons/controls i.e. Multiple functionality using button/stick combos. Consequently it is nigh on impossible to free up any to bind current non-assigned functions to the gamepad. For example the much needed lateral thrusters.

I managed to assign them to the gamepad' touchpad earlier but then somehow lost the landing gear function which has nothing to do with the touchpad 🤔

Do you have the option to change the controls when deploying landing gear? On PC you can do this so when you deploy landing gear instead of the 3 roll axes you now control the 3 lateral axes (thrusters).

As Rob says there is a section in the controls options that specifies what controls the manoeuvring thrusters during landing - these controls become active when the landing gear is deployed, if left blank then normal flight control assignments are used. Here is the relevant section from PC, hopefully the PS4 is the same:

(N.B. Mine are unassigned, I have HOTAS thrusters assigned already so the options are blank in the image.):

Hope this helps.

[hotas]

Do you have the option to change the controls when deploying landing gear? On PC you can do this so when you deploy landing gear instead of the 3 roll axes you now control the 3 lateral axes (thrusters).
As Rob says there is a section in the controls options that specifies what controls the manoeuvring thrusters during landing - these controls become active when the landing gear is deployed, if left blank then normal flight control assignments are used. Here is the relevant section from PC, hopefully the PS4 is the same:

(N.B. Mine are unassigned, I have HOTAS thrusters assigned already so the options are blank in the image.):

http://i.imgur.com/7v6n4o5.jpg

Hope this helps.

[hotas]

I have the option to change assigned settings and controllerfunctions as per your screen shot but not sure I can assign the thrusters and landing gear to act as one function in place of separate functions as are currently the case.

Incidentally I cannot find the keys for the landing gear in the assign settings list though. The Landing Gear works with holding the circle button + pressing down on direction pad on the controller but the Landing Gear is not listed in the control keys assign list as far as I can see?

Last edited:
I have the option to change as assigned settings as per your screen shot but not sure I can assign the thrusters and landing gear to one function to operate in place of separate functions as currently. I cannot find the keys for the landing gear in the bind settings list though. The LG work with holding the circle button + pressing down on direction pad on the controller but these are not listed in the assigned list as far as I can see?
I am not sure I understand the problem you are having since I don't have a console (well I do but F D won't port to the WiiU !) - I'll have a stab though:

You don't need to change your landing-gear assignment - if it works already, just leave it.

When your landing gear is deployed, any assignments (bindings) in the section in my image (Flight Landing Overrides) become active - even if those controls are also (already) assigned to another binding. So for example your roll axis could now become your lateral thrust axis - or roll left button could be assigned thrust left and roll right to thrust right. When your gear is back up, they revert to your normal flight assignments.

I hope that is not too confusing, I don't think I am being awfully clear.

Top Bottom