Tritium Hotspots?

All this talk about double and triple hot spots of Tritium is kind of mute isn't it?
If you are out in the black exploring, how often are you going to see double and triple hot spots?
I'd say that is at least interesting.
Ideally you will explore*, right?
Explore and you will eventually find double hotspots. Maybe a triple too.

The point is: if you find a double hotspot, you jump the carrier in that system, switch to your mining vessel and save some time mining in a double instead of a single hotspot

* now, if exploration means honk and jump... well, you will definitely won't find any hotspots.

(There are certainly thousands of triple LTD hotspots in deep space in live, but there's no reason to look for them so people don't)
Yes you are right, I have found some double LTD, VO and painite hotspots in the deep, not so many triples though. When exploring I scan the rings, may or may not scan the planet but I do scan the rings.

I could be wrong in my thinking about the double and triples. I hope I am wrong.

This is interesting too: 55 systems within 250ly of Sol contain triple hotspots. After the reshuffle in Jume, there is a chance that those triple might contain someting nicely
ltd or tritium or other goodies. I would expect this list to increase since the project is still underway
Interesting. There are about 10 things which usually appear in hotspots for most ring types, so the chances of a matched triple should be about 1:100 and the chances of a matched triple of a specific thing should be about 1:1000.

So either:
  • Borann (and the Beta Tritium triple) were extremely lucky finds
  • There are a lot more triple hotspots in that region still to be discovered
  • There is something about hotspot generation which makes matched hotspots more likely than random chance would suggest

I hope Frontier makes fuel gathering easier in some ways after this beta:
  • more (much more) collected per rock
  • NPCs mining
  • Tritium scooping
  • Tritium synthases
  • any and/or all options
In reality, I don't think any of these will happen, but they might reduce the fuel consumption again.

A while back I calculated (based on the assumptions that there would be six different types of hotspots in icy rings and each would have an equal probability of occurring) that there would have to be 150 icy ring triple hotspots in the Bubble for there to be a fifty-fifty chance of there being a triple LTD hotspot in the Bubble:

The 55 figure quoted by Northpin above is what's been discovered after a survey of 49% of the space within 250 LY of Sol, so the final figure is likely to be somewhere close to 110.

Alas, I don't have the spreadsheet of probabilities I calculated available on my tablet, but the probability of there being a triple LTD hotspot within 250 LY of Sol looks to be significantly less than fifty-fifty.

But that of course is based on my assumptions about the distribution of hotspots. I'm thinking about flying round icy rings in the beta and counting hotspots till I have a large enough sample to test those assumptions.

Hopefully you are aware that there are currently 2 LTD triple hotspots in the bubble: Borann A2 and Col 285 Sector HU-K b23-7
Borann is simply more popular, it was discovered first, the overlap is really generous and the name sticks easier than Col whatever...

I did a round of exploring* in beta - found a triple overlap nearby bubble - but is not useful (3 random commodities)

*The exploration was done only partially to find hotspots, but also because i find the math behind UC credits gains and splits rather puzzling, to put it gently
I will probably make a separate thread with this issue

the overlap is really generous
That's a good point: I went to a reported double Tritium hotspot last week where in fact the outer red edges of the hotspots were barely touching. Mining in the overlap was futile.

So not all the reported triple hotspots may in fact be usable even if they turn out to be triple LTD when we go live in June.

This did not lead to people declaring that travelling the galaxy was too difficult and FSD synthesis should be cheaper - it led to people checking out systems, reporting on ones with FSD synthesis materials, sharing that information, and also finding routes through the sparser parts of the galaxy that could be done with lower jump ranges.
I expect the same spirit of collaborative exploration will lead to lots of overlapping Tritium spots being discovered and catalogued in deep space, because that suddenly becomes a useful thing to explore for.

(There are certainly thousands of triple LTD hotspots in deep space in live, but there's no reason to look for them so people don't)
Very much all this :D

I'm thinking about flying round icy rings in the beta and counting hotspots till I have a large enough sample to test those assumptions.
Well, that went ... badly. I normally play in VR (Reverb, WMR, SteamVR) but if collecting data that's not really practical, so I played in flatscreen.

Or tried to. Game was shutting down every ten minutes or so. I've got a thread in the VR forum asking for advice about this.

I was only able to scan 11 pristine Icy rings and collect data on 63 hotspots. I'll need a lot more than that before I think I have numbers representative of the true distribution of hotspots. I can't say anything at the moment about whether or not the different types are evenly distributed. (Inevitably, the scarcest on current numbers is LTDs, but that's just the Far God trying to freak me out.)

I do think I've seen enough to confidently assert that there are indeed six types of Icy ring hotspot in the beta: Tritium, Low Temperature Diamonds, Void Opals, Grandiderite, Alexandrite and Bromellite.

The problems were with my non-Steam account. I've downloaded the beta for my Steam account and I'll try using that tomorrow.

Another double tritium hotspot: Aries Dark Region IM-V C2-5 15

edit: and a double LTD: Hip 13938 10

Last edited:
All this talk about double and triple hot spots of Tritium is kind of mute isn't it?
If you are out in the black exploring, how often are you going to see double and triple hot spots?
I've been concentrating on single hot spots as I plan on exploring and don't want to spend all my time
mining for Tritium. So far, in the single hot spots, I've averaged 100 tons an hour. At that rate, I will spend
too much time mining and not enough time exploring. I don't mind mining, in fact I kinda like mining but,
not all the time. I'd like to see single hot spots produce 200 to 300 tons an hour and make the double and
triple more rare.
You can get 200t/hr in a single hotspot. I tested mining Tritium 3 times and I always got the same, but you need 3 lasers and more than 10 collectors.
This is my build.
Anyway even 200t/hr is too much. 1 hour mining per jump is too much. Considering that finding Tritium hotspot also requires time (you don't find ice rings in every system) in 1 hour of mining we should be able to fill the full tank of Tritium.

Comfortable spot, right inside the bubble: LHS 3056 2 A ring. Great variety of LTD, Tritum, Alexandrite, Grandiderite, even some Void Opals in there. Currently, you'll also find the Americana parked there, while I test the viability of mining for fuel.
I calculated 4hrs work mining to refuel the carrier. That sucks.

I'm currently 5700 ly away from sol and have been logging all tritium hotspots as I go (jumping carrier, then exploring around it). So far, 18 rings with tritium hotspots - all single.

PHEIA AIN UQ-D D12-20 AB 10 A has overlaps with VO and LTD. The ring is one big hotspot. Will be stopping there on my way back.

I'm currently 5700 ly away from sol and have been logging all tritium hotspots as I go (jumping carrier, then exploring around it). So far, 18 rings with tritium hotspots - all single.

PHEIA AIN UQ-D D12-20 AB 10 A has overlaps with VO and LTD. The ring is one big hotspot. Will be stopping there on my way back.

PRO EUR TP-G D10-90 C 5
&
ETA Carina Sector JH-V C2-9

If you are going into the outer Orion here are two 2x hotspots. One at the boundary one in ETA CARINA

Top Bottom