In-Development [Tool] ED3D Galaxy Map

How did I miss this? It's awesome!

Good job as always! I'll update the map for the next release of EDTB.
I wasn't sure if I should post here or the EDSM thread or the ED Toolbox thread, but I am into the black looking for neutrons atm and am looking for systems that have not been visited. Now I know EDSM only has data from systems that have been reported with coordinates, and ED Toolbox keeps a log of visited systems. Could ED Toolbox submit visited systems to EDSM without coordinates? Without coordinates this couldn't be represented on the map, except maybe areas with the same star name prefix, e.g. "SYNOOKIO" or "PUELIO". So we could see where people are going, and maybe that way choose where to go explore.

Sure it doesn't help the EDSM mapping effort if someone is just blasting through, but it would show where people are going and increase the star inventory, and the occasional coordinate entry would be better than not at all.

Thoughts?

How did I miss this? It's awesome!

I wasn't sure if I should post here or the EDSM thread or the ED Toolbox thread, but I am into the black looking for neutrons atm and am looking for systems that have not been visited. Now I know EDSM only has data from systems that have been reported with coordinates, and ED Toolbox keeps a log of visited systems. Could ED Toolbox submit visited systems to EDSM without coordinates? Without coordinates this couldn't be represented on the map, except maybe areas with the same star name prefix, e.g. "SYNOOKIO" or "PUELIO". So we could see where people are going, and maybe that way choose where to go explore.

Sure it doesn't help the EDSM mapping effort if someone is just blasting through, but it would show where people are going and increase the star inventory, and the occasional coordinate entry would be better than not at all.

Thoughts?
EDSM stores any system you send to it (using EDSM's own import, or exporting from EDTB or EDDiscovery), coordinates or not. You can view your own flight logs on EDSM much like you can with ED ToolBox.

When you export to EDSM using their API, one of the responses is "System not in database". I think this response could be used to determine whether a system has been visited before (by a EDSM user).

EDSM stores any system you send to it (using EDSM's own import, or exporting from EDTB or EDDiscovery), coordinates or not. You can view your own flight logs on EDSM much like you can with ED ToolBox.

When you export to EDSM using their API, one of the responses is "System not in database". I think this response could be used to determine whether a system has been visited before (by a EDSM user).
This is where the integration with ED Toolbox and the ED3D map would shine: log to EDSM at every system, and show a list of commanders that have visited the system (or just a count if too many). Show activity on the map in star regions with the same prefix. That way you can have an idea if you are in an unexplored area.

This is where the integration with ED Toolbox and the ED3D map would shine: log to EDSM at every system, and show a list of commanders that have visited the system (or just a count if too many). Show activity on the map in star regions with the same prefix. That way you can have an idea if you are in an unexplored area.
I do like these ideas. Something to bring up with the authors of EDSM and ED3D.

Loving this map. I found it quite easy to implement on my server. I have my routes plotted as systems now: http://gerdofal.net/ed/1krouting.php

Do you have an example json for plotting as routes instead of just systems? Or maybe just a description of the syntax? I can always just dig through your source, but would like to avoid that if you have an example laying around.

Thanks for an awesome tool!

Lelna

Loving this map. I found it quite easy to implement on my server. I have my routes plotted as systems now: http://gerdofal.net/ed/1krouting.php

Do you have an example json for plotting as routes instead of just systems? Or maybe just a description of the syntax? I can always just dig through your source, but would like to avoid that if you have an example laying around.

Thanks for an awesome tool!

Lelna
Hi!
for the routes feature, I need to improve that a little, I will try to release a sample this evening (UTC+1).

@Gerdofal
I've release an update for routes, I've rebuild completely the part for routes on the JSon file (I was unsatisfied of the old way).
+ I've a add a small JSon sample to show multiples routes on the repo: https://github.com/gbiobob/ED3D-Galaxy-Map/blob/master/json_samples/routes.json

It's not yet fully complete but you can already show a route (or multiple routes) just by define a list of successive systems.
Some improvement are incoming soon
- Add the routes list on the HUD to navigate through each route (if multiple routes),
- add a way to show optional labels on some waypoints of a route,
- then I plan also a way to play an animation to follow a route.
(NB: in the JSon sample you will see some titles & labels fields, not yet used but will be soon)

Last edited:
Works awesome! Take a look. I'm still experimenting with starting camera location and such, but everything works.

@Gerdofal
I've release an update for routes, I've rebuild completely the part for routes on the JSon file (I was unsatisfied of the old way).
+ I've a add a small JSon sample to show multiples routes on the repo: https://github.com/gbiobob/ED3D-Galaxy-Map/blob/master/json_samples/routes.json

It's not yet fully complete but you can already show a route (or multiple routes) just by define a list of successive systems.
Some improvement are incoming soon
- Add the routes list on the HUD to navigate through each route (if multiple routes),
- add a way to show optional labels on some waypoints of a route,
- then I plan also a way to play an animation to follow a route.
(NB: in the JSon sample you will see some titles & labels fields, not yet used but will be soon)

I have found an odd bug. Everything works fine in the animation.... until it ends, then suddenly the screen goes black and most of the galaxy is lost.

I found the bug. The command below causes all the galaxy stars to disappear, no matter what the distance of the camera:\

action.class.js - Line 315
controls.center.set(moveFrom.mx, moveFrom.my, moveFrom.mz);

One more small bug, haven't found the location yet. It seems that the size of the displayed systems upon zoom in is based on how far from Sol the camera is when zooming. The end result of this is that zoooming in on a system far from sol is impossible. If you pick a system far away and try to zoom in, all systems shrink down to nothing and can't be seen anymore.

Hi, I'm having trouble getting controls to work on chrome.

The maps stay somewhat empty. The buttons react and left clicking does seem to give me positions, but I cannot pan/rotate/zoom around.

Also the implementation on spansh always starts out as a very thin line, too small to see anything: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/308674-Neutron-Highway-long-range-route-planner?p=4985346&viewfull=1#post4985346
It does increase in height while resizing the height of the window (both for decreasing and increasing) and I can actually see things on it there, but it remains unresponsive otherwise.

I've already tried toggling the extensions I have, chrome is up to date and the whole thing works in edge.

Hi Cmdr!
I just test the Neutron Map on Chrome, on my side no problem,

For the map staying empty, have you try to clean your browser cache ?
Also you have to check the console if there is no error message (CTRL+MAJ+I to show the dev tool, go on "Console" tab then reload the page to view if there is some error)

I've check the CSS of the Neutron Highway app and maybe there is a small issues for resize:
the map container has some 'vh' unit sizes, on some iOS device it can cause some issues (are you on iOS ?)

Also I suggest some change on the CSS to make the map more responsive on resize:
#edmapcontainer {
min-height: 400px;
width: 100%;
}
#edmap {
max-width: 100%;
}

I get a bunch of warnings on the milky way, but none on the galnet map or spansh: http://pastebin.com/raw/JezhysBB

I'm on windows 10. Temporarily adding those styles via the inspector didn't really seem to do anything for me ...

But I noticed that control inputs do happen upon resizing the window. I can click drag and spin the scroll wheel, then resize the window to have the view change.

Hi Cmdr!
I just test the Neutron Map on Chrome, on my side no problem,

For the map staying empty, have you try to clean your browser cache ?
Also you have to check the console if there is no error message (CTRL+MAJ+I to show the dev tool, go on "Console" tab then reload the page to view if there is some error)

I've check the CSS of the Neutron Highway app and maybe there is a small issues for resize:
the map container has some 'vh' unit sizes, on some iOS device it can cause some issues (are you on iOS ?)

Also I suggest some change on the CSS to make the map more responsive on resize:
#edmapcontainer {
min-height: 400px;
width: 100%;
}
#edmap {
max-width: 100%;
}
I've made some changes to make it a little more responsive width wise, however I've had to remain fixed height, it seems to screw up quite badly when the height isn't specified. I believe when I was looking into it I was experiencing similar problems and tracked it down as far as the resize function was getting back the offsetHeight as 0. My front end skills weren't good enough to narrow it down any further. I also experienced the same thing mentioned above, when you dynamically resize the page the height would continually grow (I ended up often at 1000 width and 10,000+ height, the more I resized the more the height would simply grow). I'm happy to run more experiments if it would help track it down but I'm reaching the limit of my front end skills I'm afraid.

Top Bottom