Discussion The Visited Stars cache

Going through all of those just to sift out the system names and add them to this cache manually sounds like a lot of work to me...more power to you if you're up for it though!

Well, it looks like EDSM will do the job for me. The Boffins in charge are looking at an export function. So it will be a matter of uploading logs (I have already done that through EDDiscovery and directly) and then exporting for inclusion in the visited systems cache.

Well, it looks like EDSM will do the job for me. The Boffins in charge are looking at an export function. So it will be a matter of uploading logs (I have already done that through EDDiscovery and directly) and then exporting for inclusion in the visited systems cache.

That...sounds pretty clever, kudos to them then! (But now I can't remember if I deleted my logs or not & I'm afraid to check... [ugh])

We have instead added a mechanism to allow data to be imported into this cache.

If you write a file named ImportStars.txt into the same folder, with one star system name per line, then start the game, it will lookup the names and merge them into the cache. (If you have many thousands of star names in the file, it may take a few minutes to process)

Once it is finished, it will rename the file so it doesn't re-import them next time. It will report the total number of stars imported, the number of duplicates, and the number that failed lookup, via the message input window. This feature should be available in the next Beta release.

Any chance of a small example file so we can have a look at the format of "ImportStars.txt"?

hchalkley

Senior Programmer
Frontier
Any chance of a small example file so we can have a look at the format of "ImportStars.txt"?

It's a very simple list of starsystem names, one per line, eg:

Code:
Sol
Lave
Facece
Cubeo
Prua Phoe OF-L c22-28
Prua Phoe TP-F d11-73
Prua Phoe EX-R b47-1
Prua Phoe HT-O b49-4
Prua Phoe VA-E d12-0
Deciat
Khun
Wyrd
Giryak
Wolf 359

Code:
Sol
Lave
Facece
Cubeo
Prua Phoe OF-L c22-28
Prua Phoe TP-F d11-73
Prua Phoe EX-R b47-1
Prua Phoe HT-O b49-4
Prua Phoe VA-E d12-0
Deciat
Khun
Wyrd
Giryak
Wolf 359

Again, that's a great feature. Will we be able to export as well? I guess we could figure out the cache file format as well, if there's no time for UI work for it.

Code:
Sol
Lave
Facece
Cubeo
Prua Phoe OF-L c22-28
Prua Phoe TP-F d11-73
Prua Phoe EX-R b47-1
Prua Phoe HT-O b49-4
Prua Phoe VA-E d12-0
Deciat
Khun
Wyrd
Giryak
Wolf 359

This is all just a quick fix while we're in Beta right?

When the release comes out visitedsystems.dat is going to be quietly seamlessly populated in background with 99% of users on all platforms not even noticing it happened. They'll just see the option in the Galmap click on it and it will all be displayed perfectly. There won't be thousands of support tickets that read "I visited Rho Cass but when I look at galmap it says I haven't?", or tickets about where do I find that on Mac, Steam and xbox and how that's unfair!

Again, that's a great feature. Will we be able to export as well? I guess we could figure out the cache file format as well, if there's no time for UI work for it.
Surely an export would give you exactly the same data your journal entries would, just not necessarily in any particular order...?

No, as FD have clearly stated from the start, this feature is not retroactive and will only track where you go once 2.2 has launched. Fortunately, for those who care there actually is the import feature for people to easily add all their existing journeys.

Last edited:
No, as FD have clearly stated from the start, this feature is not retroactive and will only track where you go once 2.2 has launched. Fortunately, for those who care there actually is the import feature for people to easily add all their existing journeys.
But given they seemingly can (easily) give us a full list of visited systems (they have done so in the past), packaging up a means of giving us a full download of all visited systems (from their database), which we can then manually importing locally, would seem very achievable?

ie: The import is already there. The export is using functionality already proven to exist (in the past). So it's simply FD offering this download via some means/method they're happy with. eg: To reduce/protect bandwidth etc. For example an option tucked away in the Launcher or Game Menu which can only be used once a week/month ever.

I confused why this couldn't be offered as all the large parts of the puzzle seem there, in place?

Last edited:
But given they seemingly can (easily) give us a full list of visited systems (they have done so in the past), packaging up a means of giving us a full download of all visited systems (from their database), which we can then manually importing locally, would seem very achievable?

ie: The import is already there. The export is using functionality already proven to exist (in the past). So it's simply FD offering this download via some means/method they're happy with. eg: To reduce/protect bandwidth etc. For example an option tucked away in the Launcher or Game Menu which can only be used once a week/month ever.

I confused why this couldn't be offered as all the large parts of the puzzle seem there, in place?

Looks like some mysterious management decision that converts 100 programming hours into 5000 support hours and 100000 customer frustration hours. Might have been better to not mention or do it at all,,too late now. Being on PC with copy-paste skills I'm sweet so shall shut up about it. Still looks penny wise pound foolish. Got to up my anit-irony meds.

Show of hands. Who's finding 2.2 to be the secret "we love explorers" patch? I think this feature will be amazing for my traderuns too, but when I'm 30k ly out, going system to system to scan a region, seeing my footprints is going to be so, so awesome.

Show of hands. Who's finding 2.2 to be the secret "we love explorers" patch? I think this feature will be amazing for my traderuns too, but when I'm 30k ly out, going system to system to scan a region, seeing my footprints is going to be so, so awesome.

I will admit it's feeling a tad bit that way, lol. I don't think it's much of a secret though!

This is going to make projects like BV and CNP easier.

They're projects to map an entire area of space. one for a sector, the other for a nebula.

Last edited:
Possible alternative to asking FD for systems visited list...

Question... Can we get an option (eg: In the Launcher or Game Menu or FDs Web Site) to create an ImportStars.txt by downloading all the stars we've ever visited directly from FD's servers? By all means make this as slow as you like, and only once a week or something, as it would be a very rarely used option.

1) This would then allow us to use the filter in the Galaxy Map for stars visited pre 2.2. ie: Nigh on two years worth of data some of would be missing!

2) If we ever need to re-install the game, we can get back all this historical data from FD.

Associated discussion - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...nu-option-to-get-download-all-visited-systems

ps: And if/when a filter for "Discovered" is added, the same sort of process could be applied there too. ie: An option to download a complete list from the FD servers, and an import mechanism to update the game's local database.

Hi All!

I have a possible alternative to requesting anything from FD. Each of our local machines has a list of our visited systems already stored in our log files. If you install a program like EDDiscovery, you point it to your log file location and the first thing it does is to import all the log files, including the systems you have visited and other valuable info like the sector locations.

I am not sure if we can read or export the values that have been stored in the program, but I would imagine the API that it used to tie into EDSM may also be tapped into somehow by a savvy programmer.

Thoughts?

Bestest!

Cmdr. Bobo8734
CCN Nebula Project - Explorer

Hi All!

I have a possible alternative to requesting anything from FD. Each of our local machines has a list of our visited systems already stored in our log files. If you install a program like EDDiscovery, you point it to your log file location and the first thing it does is to import all the log files, including the systems you have visited and other valuable info like the sector locations.

I am not sure if we can read or export the values that have been stored in the program, but I would imagine the API that it used to tie into EDSM may also be tapped into somehow by a savvy programmer.

Thoughts?

Bestest!

Cmdr. Bobo8734

It's very easy to copy the systems from EDDiscovery from the main display window as it is. Right click on the column box with your top system so just the system name is highlighted. Scroll down to the bottom and shift right click on the bottom system name and all the system names will be highlighted. Then ctrl c to copy the list and ctrl v to paste in to a text file and save that as ImportStars.txt. In other words same copy functions as any spreadsheet.

Hi All!

Thoughts?

Bestest!

Cmdr. Bobo8734

The premise is that 3rd party programs could export their data to the necessary ED import format. So that may help some CMDRs as regards completing their Visited Systems local database.

However, I'd suggest very very few CMDRs will have anything approaching a complete list of visited systems, so I'd still ask FD offer this list in some shape or form of download, especially as it seems that have been until recently.

I have a thread/poll here, so please do feel free to vote/discuss - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...nu-option-to-get-download-all-visited-systems

Last edited:
What kind of effect, if any, would having duplicate systems listed in the ImportStars.txt have?

Yeah my question also. I've already made changes to an unreleased program I wrote ages ago that can display my netlog sytems in a listbox to allow it to dump them to a file. But would like to know if duplicates are something to ideally be avoided or not.

Yeah my question also. I've already made changes to an unreleased program I wrote ages ago that can display my netlog sytems in a listbox to allow it to dump them to a file. But would like to know if duplicates are something to ideally be avoided or not.

I think the suggestion was that duplicates would just be ignored (reported)? - "It will report the total number of stars imported, the number of duplicates, and the number that failed lookup, via the message input window."

Last edited:
I think the suggestion was that duplicates would just be ignored (reported)? - "It will report the total number of stars imported, the number of duplicates, and the number that failed lookup, via the message input window."

Thanks NeilF - Now you mention it again I do remember reading pretty much that exact thing.

Top Bottom