General / Off-Topic The safest place

🇹🇹
Deaths have spiked locally to 6 in one day, the highest number so far. One of them was one of my centre's nurses, who used to quietly run the dialysis unit. Infection took place offsite. Nobody else here affected.

The death rate rise is inevitable. We can feel it getting closer; I wish we had a 3 week hiatus to get my immunity up but nope, we're in the thick already. 5 more P1 cases detected in the community. No line of transmission, so the thing is uncontained.

We have one internal medicine case in the unit. Most of the regular work is postponed/rescheduled because of risks. I might be able to get some time off if things stay quiet.
Good luck Robin.

Be paranoid about it carry full PPE all the time (spare apron and eye protection in thigh pockets) and trust your own judgement rather than paperwork or assurances, some people will try to palm the infected off on you as clear if they are frightened/lazy enough. You'll be able to feel the heat of the fever from a few feet away with people running a proper infection.

Weather often affects infections. The US's climate averages have just been updated, so the "cold and flu" season may shift a bit:

Notice how hotter and drier the southern and western US are becoming. Precipitation in the eastern half is increasing.

🇹🇹
Deaths have spiked locally to 6 in one day, the highest number so far. One of them was one of my centre's nurses, who used to quietly run the dialysis unit. Infection took place offsite. Nobody else here affected.

The death rate rise is inevitable. We can feel it getting closer; I wish we had a 3 week hiatus to get my immunity up but nope, we're in the thick already. 5 more P1 cases detected in the community. No line of transmission, so the thing is uncontained.

We have one internal medicine case in the unit. Most of the regular work is postponed/rescheduled because of risks. I might be able to get some time off if things stay quiet.
Two more days to my second shot. I'm sorry about your colleague.

Anti-vax sentiments are a huge education failure. There seems to be almost no knowledge of just how many lives have been saved by vaccination and what life was like pre-vaccination in anti-vax circles. It was easily as much a step forward as antiseptics or antibiotics.

Pandering to the lunatic fringe is a luxury we afforded ourselves when things were safer and was convenient when it was used to present things like global warming as being up for debate rather than an obvious and imminent threat. The crystal danglers and homeopathists of the world have been told for years their opinions carry merit instead of being laughed out of academia or off news interviews and such. Once useful idiots now holding us back from herd immunity via vaccination.

People have lost their grip on reality.

Interesting news article on how the news is bad for you and we really shouldn't pay attention to it :

Purely anecdotally I got annoyed at the obvious lies the UK government were pushing about masks being ineffective back at the start of the pandemic and haven't watched one of their briefings since, I also took a huge break from the news that lasted months and was happier for it. I'm thinking about downscaling my news consumption to a single delivery paper, just struggling to find one I haven't already decided is just backup toilet paper/kindling.
When I was in the big house, reading the news and watching it on the box (back in the 80s). I thought the whole world, was going to hell. So I stopped reading and watching, for years and as you say; I felt much, much better about things.

One small thing though. Just because you don't believe something, dose not make it untrue.

Last edited:
We have been noticing a very disturbing and concerning trend. We are no longer seeing deaths amongst the elderly population and persons with pre-existing medical conditions, but we are seeing deaths among persons even in the age group of the 30s.

There's spaces in the ICU units on the bright side. From the deaths, on the other hand. The predictable consequence of a worse variant.

The Brazilian situation is improving after they started better non pharmacological measures. We should be able to replicate that here more easily. Next few days will be bad, compared to before, but nothing like overseas hopefully.

It took 2 weeks to squash the last spike with a lesser variant, and we are 1 week from overload. That's time to go for a field hospital if we can't repurpose a facility and divert extra O2 supplies from Industrial Gases company. Might have to shortchange industry a bit. But it's still under control.

Interesting (to me) piece exploring the possibility of the virus escaping the Wuhan labs

ofc may be a high-class conspiracy piece, but he's at least made it plausible. I hope others are doing more digging because the source of this epidemic still seems very unclear.

Interesting (to me) piece exploring the possibility of the virus escaping the Wuhan labs

ofc may be a high-class conspiracy piece, but he's at least made it plausible. I hope others are doing more digging because the source of this epidemic still seems very unclear.
Nope.

He has been discredited a number of times. It would seem that he manipulates the facts/data, to fit his own theories.

"Over a hundred geneticists and biologists categorically dismissed Wade's view of race in a joint letter published in The New York Times on 8 August 2014:"

Wade juxtaposes an incomplete and inaccurate account of our research on human genetic differences with speculation that recent natural selection has led to worldwide differences in Intelligence quotient (IQ) test results, political institutions and economic development. We reject Wade's implication that our findings substantiate his guesswork.[14]

I think the proximity of the Wuhan lab has more to do with ease of access to simply buying exotic samples from the wet market rather than having to mount costly and time consuming international expeditions.

Heh, as someone that always said that the origin of the virus could not be ruled out or ruled in as artificial (no solid evidence pro nor solid evidence against it) and i also said that Nature letter dated March 2020 was dubious - i find this article oddly satisfying.

And worrisome. Extremely worrisome.
And I'm not sure we want proofs, that show artificial origin, made public.
Wars were started for reasons weaker than that.

Who would start the war though? If the article is correct then it was US funded research in a Chinese lab ... maybe the Russians would need to start the war 🤷‍♀️

Heh, as someone that always said that the origin of the virus could not be ruled out or ruled in as artificial (no solid evidence pro nor solid evidence against it) and i also said that Nature letter dated March 2020 was dubious - i find this article oddly satisfying.

And worrisome. Extremely worrisome.

IIrc, the lab you are thinking about ( the one close to the Wetmarket ) is NOT the WuHan Lab where a Virus "could have escaped" . Also to consider, almost half of the people of the intially identified cluster in WuHan had no Link whatsoever to the WetMarket.

Who would start the war though? If the article is correct then it was US funded research in a Chinese lab ... maybe the Russians would need to start the war 🤷‍♀️

Well, both of them.
US being miffed that the Chinese let it out
Chinese being miffed that US funded a dangerous research on the Chinese territory
Or anyone else being miffed at both of them, or biased against only one

Somehow this reminded me of this Louis CK monologue with the fighting kids and the father 😂 (totally unrelated tho)

IIrc, the lab you are thinking about ( the one close to the Wetmarket ) is NOT the WuHan Lab where a Virus "could have escaped" . Also to consider, almost half of the people of the intially identified cluster in WuHan had no Link whatsoever to the WetMarket.

I'm trying not to think about it. See above, i'm watching Louis CK SNL monologues.
But do yourself a favor a read the article @Factabulous linked. It's really interesting and well written.

Half the people of the initially identified cluster. How many? Logically the virus spreads, from person to person, anywhere people meet, so a percentage, of said cluster, would be strangers, who could have met anywhere. The street. On public transport. Other retailers. Schools, do i need to go on?

Small point about the quack we are talking about: He keeps stating that the bats, in question, would not have been out of the caves at that time of year and could not have travelled the distance, between the roosting cave and the market. Well, the bats in question, were being sold, in the market and in many cases, were still alive, in cages. That fact, makes about a third of his article irrelevant.

Last edited:
Strange that China as the source is still accepted. Wuhan outbreak was in Dec 2019, everybody remember?

Here are the actual studies, see for yourself. No opinion. Just findings.

SARS-CoV-2 RBD-specific antibodies were detected in 111 of 959 (11.6%) individuals, starting from September 2019 (14%), with a cluster of positive cases (>30%) in the second week of February 2020 and the highest number (53.2%) in Lombardy. This study shows an unexpected very early circulation of SARS-CoV-2 among asymptomatic individuals in Italy several months before the first patient was identified, and clarifies the onset and spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. Finding SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in asymptomatic people before the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy may reshape the history of pandemic.

It's not a "China virus". It was spreading globally before the Wuhan outbreak. September comes before December.

Here, we have used RT-qPCR for SARS-CoV-2 detection in a series of longitudinal metropolitan wastewaters samples collected from February to April 2020, during the earliest stages of the epidemic in the Region of Valencia, Spain. We were able to consistently detect SARS-CoV-2 RNA in samples taken in late February, when communicated cases in that region were only incipient.

In Spain, it is found in sewerage before the outbreak there got started. Widespread incidence, flying under the radar.

Similarly in Brazil

Our findings demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 was circulating unnoticed in in Brazil since Nov 2019

At best, it is unclear exactly where this originated, but there's no reason to assume it was Wuhan, or even in China. After Wuhan was locked down, the rest of China did not erupt in disease, because there was no widespread disease.
Or it would look like India now.

It simply could be that Wuhan imported it. Or that it mutated there.

There is some controversy about similar US findings dating to Dec 2019.

Don't be misled by racist nonsense, we have really had enough of that. If we adhere to verifiable information, we get a much more accurate picture.

Last edited:
That article said that 3 people working in a lab in the WIV came down with Covid like symptoms and all 3 were hospitalized in autumn 2019. That could be as early as first week of September. Which means that less than a week later could have been out in the world

Strange that China as the source is still accepted. Wuhan outbreak was in Dec 2019, everybody remember?

Here are the actual studies, see for yourself. No opinion. Just findings.

SARS-CoV-2 RBD-specific antibodies were detected in 111 of 959 (11.6%) individuals, starting from September 2019 (14%), with a cluster of positive cases (>30%) in the second week of February 2020 and the highest number (53.2%) in Lombardy. This study shows an unexpected very early circulation of SARS-CoV-2 among asymptomatic individuals in Italy several months before the first patient was identified, and clarifies the onset and spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. Finding SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in asymptomatic people before the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy may reshape the history of pandemic.

It's not a "China virus". It was spreading globally before the Wuhan outbreak. September comes before December.

Here, we have used RT-qPCR for SARS-CoV-2 detection in a series of longitudinal metropolitan wastewaters samples collected from February to April 2020, during the earliest stages of the epidemic in the Region of Valencia, Spain. We were able to consistently detect SARS-CoV-2 RNA in samples taken in late February, when communicated cases in that region were only incipient.

In Spain, it is found in sewerage before the outbreak there got started. Widespread incidence, flying under the radar.

Similarly in Brazil

Our findings demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 was circulating unnoticed in in Brazil since Nov 2019

At best, it is unclear exactly where this originated, but there's no reason to assume it was Wuhan, or even in China. After Wuhan was locked down, the rest of China did not erupt in disease, because there was no widespread disease.
Or it would look like India now.

It simply could be that Wuhan imported it. Or that it mutated there.

There is some controversy about similar US findings dating to Dec 2019.

Don't be misled by racist nonsense, we have really had enough of that. If we adhere to verifiable information, we get a much more accurate picture.

Thank you, thank you very much ! 🙏

Due to freshly started job, I simply lack the time to dig out 15 months old papers/Articles about the inital cluster in WuHan, or one of the several well made Videos about how it is unlikely up to almost impossible the Virus escaped the cat4 Lab in WuHan .I thought potholer had made one, but did not find it on his channel .

Thing is, the cat4 Lab in WuHan is roughly 20kms away from the WetMarket . Think about whether it is plausible that the first cluster stared at the the WetMarket as epicenter . It didn't. I think it was 17 of 43 people in that initial cluster having no Link to the WetMarket . I just can't be bothered to dig up the paper about that cluster . I am actually eating at this moment XD .

Top Bottom