General / Off-Topic The safest place

When I was a kid the grown ups were very scared about something they called "Earth Radiation" and the cure for that was wearing copper bracelets. You can still buy those, and they are miraculously solving almost any problem you can think of:

View attachment 174698

The grown ups had also invented a special rubber strip that, when mounted on your car, removed motion sickness:

View attachment 174700

Those grown ups back then were so much more clever than grown ups today.

Edit: Radiation can be harmful, like in the case of the OMG particle, a cosmic radiation particle containing energy equivalent to a baseball traveling at 60 mph. You might even feel being hit by one of those, even though they are extremely rare.

They sold them in most car shops. My Dad had one on his Astra and on his Cavalier. It had a wire in the middle and was to ground out the car so you wouldn't get electrostatic shocks when you touched the car as you got out.

Wear a pair of Sketchers and some man made socks and that is definitely still has a purpose; They don't sell that device anymore but memory foam footwear and nylon will zap you big time!

"Mother Nature doesn't reward the strongest. She doesn't reward the smartest. She rewards the most adaptive."

"There are 3 adaptation strategies. First of all, she rewards the most humble. Who respects her? Because if you don't respect her virus she will hurt you, or someone you love. "
"Second, she rewards coordination. Because....."
"And lastly she rewards people who base their adaptation on Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. And only those, because that is all she is. Chemistry Biology and Physics, and not Ideology, Politics or an Election Year schedule."
-Tom Friedman, of the "Friedman Unit" fame, on the Ari Melber show.

Often wrong, but this time he nailed it. There is a serious problem developing in Florida, as doctors and medical examiners are being fired for refusing to hide the death toll. If political considerations trump scientific fact in the management of the crisis, Nature shall straighten that out by simply killing even more people. And that will relentlessly continue till we fix it.

There is a very high price for voting for scientifically illiterate representatives these days. Actually, there always is- it's just more obvious now.

Hydroxychloroquine is falling out of favor.

Pathologist Chris Martensen still holds that it would work if given with Zinc. That is not impossible. But getting that studied now is going to be tough.

The problem is that this 5 year old orange baby has put his foot into the door of some unbiased and urgently needed examinations now. I mean, who wants to be named in the same context of someone who recommends to examine disinfection injections against the virus.

The current line of thinking is that this medicament possibly could work in the early stages of infection while the proven higher death rate could be due to the fact that hydroxychloroquine has known side effects on people with heart problems, which is also known as a possible attack target of this virus. Especially critical in combination with antibiotics. The problem is that too many idiots blindly follow their orange leader. In addition, hydroxychloroquine is now in short supply for all those who actually really need it.

Sometimes it can be fun to watch people shooting into their own knees but in this case I struggle to find that funny anymore.

Today, a flight from Madrid has come to a Canary Island with a person infected, the guy had gone to see his mother, who was ill and in the end died ... testing positive for covid. The protocol was applied to family members for being in direct contact, testing and avoiding contact. The man turned without waiting for the results, (he tested positive) and the autonomous community from which he came immediately informed the Canary Islands, the police were already waiting for him at the airport. Now he will be quarantined for 14 days, along with 15 other innocent people who were around him. Who knows how many more people he approached while he was at the airport?
A failure of the authorities and a citizen's irresponsibility is all it takes for the recipe for misfortune , it does not even depend on oneself.

it's local news, it's only in spanish, i´m sorry

Last edited:
Today, a flight from Madrid has come to a Canary Island with a person infected, the guy had gone to see his mother, who was ill and in the end died ... testing positive for covid. The protocol was applied to family members for being in direct contact, testing and avoiding contact. The man turned without waiting for the results, (he tested positive) ....
It's tough to be perfect after you just lose your mother... the personal responsibilities of today are quite exacting. Hopefully the harm is now limited?

I'm actually afraid to go out, now. It's not just the virus, it's all the pent up emotional energy, waiting for sparks.

Went to the store today. Very few were not wearing masks. Two even had face shields. I was envious.

After months of inactivity, physical tasks become tiring. Mistakes are made. Some were having trouble driving, I joke you not. Reaction times suck.

It's tough to be perfect after you just lose your mother... the personal responsibilities of today are quite exacting. Hopefully the harm is now limited?

you're absolutely right, and of course I thought about it and his pain ...
the problem was not going to see his mother, he was able to travel to see her without problems, but when he was coming back ,he should have expected the results
with the other relatives, and he was warned, but I can put myself in his place, a loss can make you forget everything and that you do not notice anything around you, even putting yourself in danger...
I am more concerned that these protocols they talk about to contain infections are not working as they should,the man doesnt should have been able to leave Madrid until to know the results.

At the end of the article it says:
"The Ministry of Health has said that although there is a “greased” coordination to detect situations like this, they emphasize the responsibility of citizens to isolate themselves if they have been in direct contact with a case of coronavirus. "

That is already wrong from the beginning, I have read that in other countries, people in contact are directly isolated for 2 weeks, not allowing the citizen to choose freely,
and it has worked quite well , slow but safe .
Once again, we have very thin skin for certain measures,I suppose.

Sorry if I sounded too cold to call him irresponsible in that situation, it really wasn't his fault.

Last edited:
I went to an old forum on history, that had been rational, mostly.

Now, it's gone nuclear. The pandemic is striking at everyone's most vulnerable spots. Emotions are out of control.

There is a lot of old timber, waiting to be sparked. I keep my head down, in my lowsec area. I only travel to the store. My neighbors are playing loud music occasionally, and my upstairs neighbor now has a large, energetic doggie. No rest for me, as I isolate. I just take it. Now, If I was allowed to play with my fellow doggie...

Counseling will be in great demand, in the coming years...

We had a export ship arrive at our docks with some viral imports. 14 infections and counting. Hard enough to control the virus without other countries sending us gifts. Now the crew is quarantined (at our expense) and the ship will be sent home with a skeleton crew and the rest of the crew repatriated. Total waste of time and money.

I went to an old forum on history, that had been rational, mostly.

Now, it's gone nuclear. The pandemic is striking at everyone's most vulnerable spots. Emotions are out of control.

There is a lot of old timber, waiting to be sparked. I keep my head down, in my lowsec area. I only travel to the store. My neighbors are playing loud music occasionally, and my upstairs neighbor now has a large, energetic doggie. No rest for me, as I isolate. I just take it. Now, If I was allowed to play with my fellow doggie...

Counseling will be in great demand, in the coming years...
we passed 2 months with that here too ... until a week ago, every day people went out to their balconies at 6 or 7 in the afternoon to applaud the nurses, then they played pans against the government ... then music everywhere like celebrating I don't know what ... the atmosphere was quite chaotic but also a bit ridiculous.
Suddenly in the de-escalation, all that stopped.

We had a export ship arrive at our docks with some viral imports. 14 infections and counting. Hard enough to control the virus without other countries sending us gifts. Now the crew is quarantined (at our expense) and the ship will be sent home with a skeleton crew and the rest of the crew repatriated. Total waste of time and money.
You could close the borders, but that won't be enough:

The coast guard is working overtime. They routinely turn back Venezuelan boats full of refugees. All potentially infected.

We're not joking around on the high seas. All the stuff that a blind eye was turned to in the past is now deadly serious, backed by force.
There is a surge in crime here. 4 bodies found dumped near my old offices, bullet ridden. 2 housebreakers in the next street recorded and chased off by private security yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

The coast guard is working overtime. They siezed 400 kg of cocaine from a tanker last month, and routinely turn back Venezuelan boats full of refugees/sex traffic victims. All potentially infected.

We're not joking around on the high seas. All the stuff that a blind eye was turned to in the past is now deadly serious, backed by force.
There is a surge in crime here. 4 bodies found dumped near my old offices, bullet ridden. 2 housebreakers in the next street recorded and chased off by private security yesterday.
Sounds like my neighborhood... :(

The coast guard is working overtime. They siezed 400 kg of cocaine from a tanker last month, and routinely turn back Venezuelan boats full of refugees/sex traffic victims. All potentially infected.

Oh, our borders are closed, but we still expect people to not send their viruses our way or at least clearly declare that they have sick people on board. They're not here for holiday so we want to do the business and send them on the way, but not if we're putting people at risk here. If they have sick people they should've returned home and not docked. As of now, there is no transaction and they're going home empty anyway. Waste of resources.

That is already wrong from the beginning, I have read that in other countries, people in contact are directly isolated for 2 weeks, not allowing the citizen to choose freely,
and it has worked quite well , slow but safe .
Once again, we have very thin skin for certain measures,I suppose.
It's not just you - in the UK they report that 50% of people with symptoms won't self-isolate

Presumably that number is higher for those without symptoms. Plus our R number is already close to 1 and the govt has decided to ease the lockdown. They seem to be heading for the idea of doing local lockdowns if there are outbreaks, but:

1) They aren't really on top of the track & trace situation - it's still starting up
2) I think the plan is to phone people and ask them nicely to self-isolate, rather than actually checking they are doing it
3) Places like South Korea - who everyone acknowledges are doing a good job - seem still to clamp down nationwide. I don't know why the UK thinks it can clamp down on a couple of streets to contain things.

I guess we will see...

Top Bottom