The ADS

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Say what You will about ADS or FSS but these threads do seem to draw attention. And a lot of it. Every thread so far about ADS is a rather long discussion with a lot of traction. Maybe there is a market for ADS after all.
Yeah, it's the same people shouting the same crap, including me. There are probably only about 20-30 people actually saying anything. The original poster disappeared a long time ago, probably wishing they hadn't started the thread in the first place.

I didn't say the issue was you and I have never actually said that once, so how I keep reminding you to of that is beyond me. But maybe it is true as you seem to be imagining some rubbish about what I have done.

And to be honest, I really didn't expect you to take the post seriously.
Disingenuous as ever. No surprises there.

Sorry, but the ADS did enable a playstyle, and did so more effectively than the FSS.

To explain, let’s consider the entire set of things people might explore for. Now appreciate that some people are specifically interested in certain subsets of that entire set.

For simplicity, let’s consider a couple of levels of subsets.Not sure where you are with all this so please forgive me if this is stating the obvious. The Stellar Forge has produced a huge amount of systems. Most of those can be considered fairly standard, but it very occasionally throws up some oddities.

For some players what they are looking for when exploring is those rarities of the Stellar Forge. So let’s take that as a subset.

Now to illustrate further, let’s consider a subset of that subset:

- unusual orbital configurations (such as extreme numbers of nested orbits)

Let’s say for the sake of the argument that these will occur in one in every 1,000 systems. (They’re probably a lot rarer, but it’s keeping things simple.)

Finding these things means going to system after system until finding one. The System Map provides the readiest way of spotting whether a system has one.

So for ADS the time taken to find one is roughly:

- time for (jump + honk + check system map + scoop fuel) * 1,000

With the FSS an extra step is introduced between ‘honk’ and ‘check system map’.

So with the FSS, the time taken to find one is roughly:

- time as per ADS + (average time for full FSS scan of system) * 1,000

Can’t say what the average FSS scan time is as it’s highly dependent on number of bodies in a system, but let’s say it 1 minute. That’s an increase in time taken of 1,000 minutes.

The extra thing to then overlay on that is that for some people, using the FSS is not a pleasant experience.

It’s understandable why it’s all impacted on some people negatively and why they would want something more akin to the ADS.

(Again, not sure how up you are on all this stuff, so my apologies if I’ve just restated stuff you’re already well aware of.)

Someone else can probably provide a better estimate of rarity of the Stellar Forge oddities. @marx maybe, if they’re around.
Some stuff is closer to 1 in 10,000, or so it seems to me at least. This is one of my favorite systems I found and is featured as an exploration tourist destination in the game now as well. I didn't make this video either, but happened across it doing a Google search, if I remember correctly...

The main one for me, is that they just don't make any sense to both exist lore wise. And for me lore is very important in a game like ED.
I think there are easy enough solutions to make them more lore-friendly and make sense in the game, as we've discussed previously in this same thread.

I'm assuming you're probably not all that interested in me reiterating them for a second time though. 🤷‍♂️

There is such a thing as Mutually Exclusive, and it's not outside the realm of possible that these systems are mutually exclusive, though that does not mean some functionality, such as pre-populating that 2d system map with Unknown black bodies isn't impossible, IF this is the sort of gameplay Frontier wants in their game.
As you know perfectly well, as you've been around long enough to have seen it numerous times, "we" do not want to take anything away from "you". All "we" ask is the very same optional ADS module to optionally fit in an additional slot that only did the exact same as before (or even replace the planets with black wireframes) and nothing more. Everybody wins. "You" can keep your FSS. But you know this already.

Even in this thread previous suggestion of a compromise for populating that 2d system map with Unknown black bodies was decried as not good enough and the ADS must reveal the bodes colour etc, and then that would fundamentally invalidate the FSS

May as well just as for the system map to populate on jumping in the system, as I doubt it is really holding a button for 8 seconds is the bit that is what you are after.

Now to wait to be called brain damaged again for now supporting Burke's demands

Disingenuous - not candid or sincere

There’s just enough deniability in the way you wrote this that you can claim that you’re not saying that the issue is me.
However the intent is clear.

That is disingenuous.
I wasn't actually being serious and didn't expect you to take it seriously. Sorry, next time I will put a wink next to it to make sure you get it.

So you tell me, what do you think the intent was?

I think there are easy enough solutions to make them more lore-friendly and make sense in the game, as we've discussed previously in this same thread.

I'm assuming you're probably not all that interested in me reiterating them for a second time though. 🤷‍♂️
Yes there are, but that won't fix the issues for everyone, and that's the issue. Not everyone will be happy until they get their own personal exploration tool, and some seem to expect it.

I take what FDev throws at me and I try to make it work for me, whether I want that in or not. That and making polite suggestions as to how to improve it is the best way forward. Continually insulting the Devs, which some seem to can't help themselves is not going to help, I can see it doing the opposite, but these people can't seem to help themselves but be incredibly unpleasant and when you throw it back at them, they put you on their ignore list. It's a bit of a sad state of affairs to be honest.

The different ways to mine a rock produce vastly different results and don't actually tread on each others toes. They can co-exist easily, the same goes for weapons.

But having the ADS and the FSS available at the same time doesn't make sense.
Having two separate modules that cannot be used at the same time would prevent that.

Anyway this is where I tap out because nothing you or I have said hasn'tbeen said a million times before. The FSS is imo a pile of poopooe but its in the game now and Frontier have decided there is only one way to skin a cat.

Now to wait to be called brain damaged again for now supporting Burke's demands
Do you feel brain damaged? Why would i say that to people supporting my "demands" i did say pretty please btw.

Edit: Ah wait i remember now. You need to be brain damaged to enjoy using the FSS and if you arnt you will be after enough systems. Yes i must admit this is true.

I wasn't actually being serious and didn't expect you to take it seriously. Sorry, next time I will put a wink next to it to make sure you get it.

So you tell me, what do you think the intent was?
Of course you weren’t ;)

Sorry Max, but I have very little time for your .
You’ve done more than anyone to fill every one of these threads with side issues, obfuscation, repetition of already refuted arguments, and general distraction.
And for what exactly - you already have what you want.
The obvious solution, agreed even by you many times, was clear many threads and several months ago.

Put the ADS back in as it was. Minimum development - everyone wins.
A module that you can choose not to fit and just carry on doing what you seem to be enjoying, completely unaffected by it.

I really don’t understand your seeming need to ‘contribute’.
Unless you think you can win at the internet.

Yes there are, but that won't fix the issues for everyone, and that's the issue. Not everyone will be happy until they get their own personal exploration tool, and some seem to expect it.

I take what FDev throws at me and I try to make it work for me, whether I want that in or not. That and making polite suggestions as to how to improve it is the best way forward. Continually insulting the Devs, which some seem to can't help themselves is not going to help, I can see it doing the opposite, but these people can't seem to help themselves but be incredibly unpleasant and when you throw it back at them, they put you on their ignore list. It's a bit of a sad state of affairs to be honest.
Funny enough, I'm not even convinced the FSS + ADS module is ideal. It's more of a compromise for me, but would get me back to enjoying exploration more in the game at least.

Of course you weren’t ;)

Sorry Max, but I have very little time for your .
You’ve done more than anyone to fill every one of these threads with side issues, obfuscation, repetition of already refuted arguments, and general distraction.
And for what exactly - you already have what you want.
The obvious solution, agreed even by you many times, was clear many threads and several months ago.
The words pot kettle and black seem to come to mind.

Put the ADS back in as it was. Minimum development - everyone wins.
A module that you can choose not to fit and just carry on doing what you seem to be enjoying, completely unaffected by it.
Apart from the people that don't want it back in the game.

I really don’t understand your seeming need to ‘contribute’.
Unless you think you can win at the internet.
Probably the same need as yours.

Having two separate modules that cannot be used at the same time would prevent that.

Anyway this is where I tap out because nothing you or I have said hasn'tbeen said a million times before. The FSS is imo a pile of poopooe but its in the game now and Frontier have decided there is only one way to skin a cat.
With the added module of the ADS, its added functionality would make sense. Just have the blue blobs on the FSS view have the world locations resolved there as well after the honk if the ADS is also installed, but then don't discover them and more info about them on the FSS without going through the possess of zooming in and resolving them, the same as we do now, or of course just supercruise out to everything.

Last edited:
Apart from the people that don't want it back in the game.

Do people have the right to not want it back? If we accept the number of systems to scan is effectivly infinite then really what bussiness is it of yours what other players get up to? Why do you care and why do you even have the right to hold an opinion about what other players are doing?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom