Tenuous Atmospheres: How Will They Work...?

There's also gonna be the inevitable two-to-three rounds of betas, which will have been planned for, so if Early 2021 means Q1 2021, then it's likely the Beta will launch somewhere between December at the earliest, and February/March at the very latest.

Horizons was showcased at Gamescom nearly 4 months before the beta launched.
Yeah, if there is to be a beta, I'm expecting it probably around November time and probably continuing into December, then they'll need time to address any bugs and exploits that we find. As they said, this is the biggest update they have ever done and there is going to be lots to test.

"the atmosphere is thought to freeze and fall out of the sky in what must be one of the most spectacular ice storms in the solar system" storms would be epic!
That's why the description "tenuous atmosphere" is both interesting and confusing, because we're all thinking that it means that FDEV won't be making any landable planets with weather, when clearly even such a (dwarf) planet like Pluto has immense ice/snow storms depending on its orbital position in the solar system.

when clearly even such a (dwarf) planet like Pluto has immense ice/snow storms depending on its orbital position in the solar system.

I’d be super surprised if FDev modelled 'outlier' stuff like an atmosphere literally freezing and falling to coat the planet. Stuff that happens on annual timeframes would be a pain to model. (I’d imagine they might pick a state for Pluto, or maybe flip states).

Would be pretty badass if they did it properly though, don’t get me wrong ;)

And if it turns out that the 'thin' category of atmospheres is what’s getting unlocked we may see more than just sky tint either way. Definitely keeping my expectations at 'thin blue skies' for now though ;)

I’d be super surprised if FDev modelled 'outlier' stuff like an atmosphere literally freezing and falling to coat the planet. Stuff that happens on annual timeframes would be a pain to model. (I’d imagine they might pick a state for Pluto, or maybe flip states).

And if it turns out that the 'thin' category of atmospheres is what’s getting unlocked we may see more than just sky tint either way. Definitely keeping my expectations at 'thin blue skies' for now though ;)
I like to think that FDev will eventually handcraft Sol to be reasonably scientifically accurate, with the rest of the galaxy somewhat templated from that.

Definitely not going to be part if the FPS DLC though.

I doubt we'll get any atmospheric effects like rain or rivers unfortunately.
For some reason those words got me dreaming fifty-eleven steps ahead - of rain saturating the ground, until starting to fill up hollows and running down slopes. Now we're talking never-happening. :D

I strongly disagree. I'm 100% sure you are hugely underestimating the Odyssey content.
Because, you know, if the outcome of "100+ talented developers, working hard during 3 years" (c), will be represented:
  • colored skybox
  • different camera movement (legs) on planet surfaces
  • some "social hub"
as you describe, then this would mean, that whole Odyssey expansion is... just a plain scam.
Which is just impossible with such fair and transparent company like FDev.

So, i'm 100% sure that in Odyssey we will get, at the very minimum:
  • ships interiors, planetary surface buildings interiors
  • weather (at least simple like raining/snowing) and storms on planets
  • atmoshperes affecting ships flight behavior
  • fully fleshed set of FPS missions: combat, stealth, exploration, which include fighting against thargoid species, and inflitrating planetary buildings
Oh I most honestly hope you're correct. I'm simply placing my expectations very low. A contradiction Im sure but I look foward to eating my hat.

FD have potentially been spending more than 2 years on this... possibly 5. There was so much amazing content proposed in the past, especially direct references to ship to ship boarding etc...

And what ever we do get I shall applaud be it a blue sky box or jovian sky cities.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree. I'm 100% sure you are hugely underestimating the Odyssey content.
Because, you know, if the outcome of "100+ talented developers, working hard during 3 years" (c), will be represented:
  • colored skybox
  • different camera movement (legs) on planet surfaces
  • some "social hub"
as you describe, then this would mean, that whole Odyssey expansion is... just a plain scam.
Which is just impossible with such fair and transparent company like FDev.

So, i'm 100% sure that in Odyssey we will get, at the very minimum:
  • ships interiors, planetary surface buildings interiors
  • weather (at least simple like raining/snowing) and storms on planets
  • atmoshperes affecting ships flight behavior
  • fully fleshed set of FPS missions: combat, stealth, exploration, which include fighting against thargoid species, and inflitrating planetary buildings
Add: Ah yes, and what i absolutely expect from Odyssey - is the awesome sounds from environments in atmosphere! Wind howling, sand rustling, sounds of rain, rocks crackling, thargoids rattling behind hills... Before Odyssey, the FDev sound design team was restricted by "ship's computer simulated sounds" in vacuum.
Now, on planets with atmospheres, i'm sure they will deliver insane acoustic immersion into game environment.
Are you new here?

Actually, I suspect we will see some level of "seasonality" right out of the box. Reason being, as stellar forge works right now, a whole variety of parameters are calculated on the fly when you load up a system, since it's all procedurally generated when you jump in. Surface conditions will undoubtedly be generated in the same way - they are certainly not handcrafting surfaces. If surface conditions depend at all on variables like temperature or solar irradiation (as opposed to static properties like body type and gravity), then they will naturally vary at least on the subset of worlds that have noticeably elliptical orbits. It would be a small additional step to take planetary inclination into account, and vary the generated weather depending on latitude, resulting in true "seasons".

Now obviously it's possible that the surface conditions won't consist of much more than a skybox and haze. But even then you'll get the very basic stuff - long lingering sunsets in the winter, for example, just by nature of the angle of the sun. But there's scope for a whole lot more without a ton of additional work.

Actually, I suspect we will see some level of "seasonality" right out of the box. Reason being, as stellar forge works right now, a whole variety of parameters are calculated on the fly when you load up a system, since it's all procedurally generated when you jump in. Surface conditions will undoubtedly be generated in the same way - they are certainly not handcrafting surfaces. If surface conditions depend at all on variables like temperature or solar irradiation (as opposed to static properties like body type and gravity), then they will naturally vary at least on the subset of worlds that have noticeably elliptical orbits. It would be a small additional step to take planetary inclination into account, and vary the generated weather depending on latitude, resulting in true "seasons".

Now obviously it's possible that the surface conditions won't consist of much more than a skybox and haze. But even then you'll get the very basic stuff - long lingering sunsets in the winter, for example, just by nature of the angle of the sun. But there's scope for a whole lot more without a ton of additional work.
Even in the present version, the simple ground fog/outgassing haze is seasonal and diurnal. On some planets it gathers in the evening (near the terminator lines), on some planets it rises with the overhead sun and dissipates at night. Presumably depending on the composition of the planet.

We're not down on planets long enough to notice seasons, but arguably, on a planet with axial tilt and evening fog, the low sun of local "winter" causing near-permanent crater fog (for the duration of the period the hemisphere is angled away) is already a "seasonal weather" feature.

So yeah, not expecting it, but it would not surprise me if what you're saying is right.

Last edited:
Actually, I suspect we will see some level of "seasonality" right out of the box. Reason being, as stellar forge works right now, a whole variety of parameters are calculated on the fly when you load up a system, since it's all procedurally generated when you jump in. Surface conditions will undoubtedly be generated in the same way - they are certainly not handcrafting surfaces.

This may be pedantic / wrong / irrelevant here, but my assumption has always been that Stellar Forge was focused entirely on formative processes for the planets, and just provides the resulting outputs (suitably sized / orientated / constructed worlds, and their orbits etc) for the game world to interpret further.

If surface conditions depend at all on variables like temperature or solar irradiation (as opposed to static properties like body type and gravity), then they will naturally vary at least on the subset of worlds that have noticeably elliptical orbits. It would be a small additional step to take planetary inclination into account, and vary the generated weather depending on latitude, resulting in true "seasons".

That’s the bit I would have said is an open question, until I saw CMDR Yates’ post below ;)

Even in the present version, the simple ground fog/outgassing haze is seasonal and diurnal. On some planets it gathers in the evening (near the terminator lines), on some planets it rises with the overhead sun and dissipates at night. Presumably depending on the composition of the planet.

We're not down on planets long enough to notice seasons, but arguably, on a planet with axial tilt and evening fog, the low sun of local "winter" causing near-permanent crater fog (for the duration of the period the hemisphere is angled away) is already a "seasonal weather" feature.

So yeah, not expecting it, but it would not surprise me if what you're saying is right.

Oh well that’s pretty cool :). I had no idea the outgassings could be diurnal etc, let alone variable as orbits change etc. Presuming that’s all being worked out based on temperature changes due to solar exposure (?) that does seem like a pretty promising case study!

I’d still be super surprised if they modelled cases like Pluto though, even then, because it feels like it’s crossing game system boundaries. IE the presence of an atmosphere would be handled by one system, and the behaviour of 'local gases' etc by another. (Having the lower level systems be able to flip the bigger systems seems like extra work at minimum, and something that would only get done as a bespoke job for Sol, or more systemically only if Pluto scenarios are super common in other systems).

Last edited:
What concerns me (and I hope I misunderstood it) is that in the video he stated that it is intended for multiplayer use.
This would require the use of audio comms between players.
Unfold the issue(s):
I'm on PS4. I Don't have the funds to afford PSN (I'm now disabled.
Plus I'm deaf.
So I play SOLO
So if Oddessy is intended for multiplayer, could this imply that it's pointless to buy the expansion for those without a PSN subscription; or is the keyword here "INTENDED" (but works for everyone)?

Top Bottom