Tenuous Atmospheres: How Will They Work...?

Here's the gameplay features my new space sim (pledge here) will have:
  • full VR support for all headsets, and full body VR!
  • Earth modelled better than the new Microsoft Flight Sim
  • Space modelled better than Space Engine, Elite Dangerous Stellar Forge. And Star Citizen's system.
  • 2068 different alien languages!
  • Ships so big the whole of Skyrim could fit in a crater in the sandpit of the kids play area, next to the fully functioning Holodeck, containing every episode of TNG to take part in!
  • Bonus T-posing for those who want it
  • Trains. Lots of trains.
  • Trains in ships.
  • Bardtenders. In trains.
  • 386,000 different menial jobs to apply for in the game. Live the dream and grab that mop!
  • AI so good we fully expect it to expand beyond the game and kill us all. Immersion.

And more! Just let me know what other features you're dreaming of, I'll be happy to tell you of course they are included.

AB2g has a surface pressure of 704.545149 pascals, which is a bit more than 7 times the current landable pressure. Current landable cutoff is 99.99 pascals.

Yeah that’s the highest one I’ve found to date.

I am in the process of getting data related to the "Thin" designation and seeing where the lower bound is for that.

You’re a star :)

I’m thinking I might reach out to the EDSM guys and see if they can figure out the upper range.

Another interesting data point that I noticed trawling through some "0.00 atm" worlds I'd found. Consider Gliese 9142. Moon 12 d displays that way in the system map, and in EDSM is recorded at 0.00121966 atm (123.6 Pa) and "Thin Ammonia" atmosphere. So far, as expected.

However, moons 9b, 10b, and 12b all also read "0.00 atmospheres" in-game, and are not landable, but have no pressure listed in EDSM. Perhaps not coincidentally, all three are "Sulpher Dioxide" atmosphere type with various types of volcanism - basically Io analogues.

Yeah it seems possible that the sites with greater vulcanism may stay off limits.

SC doesn't support VR, so I think that makes it irrelevant to this conversation (assuming Frontier does right and gives us atmospheric space seats in VR).

Right, look, there’s some interesting truffling going on in this thread, which may be unearthing the in-game definition of 'tenuous' atmospheres. This would be good info to have.

Can everyone who’s randomly dreamcrafting about SC just bog off to Spectrum or something? Or the designated SC thread on this site. I don’t want this thread to get locked. Thank you kindly.
Problem is - we don't know.

We don't know if "tenuous" was being used in a colloquial sense, ie not earth likes or complex weather patterns. We don't know if it was meant as an in-game term, or as a scientific term.

It was likely just to throw out the the hint/confirmation that no, we won't be getting complex earth likes or big game hunting. Or sand worms.

edit - what I'm saying is don't panic about this thread being derailed as it might inhibit the truth from being discovered .... we'll need to wait for fdev to tell us. There are no answers here.

We don't know if "tenuous" was being used in a colloquial sense, ie not earth likes or complex weather patterns. We don't know if it was meant as an in-game term, or as a scientific term.

It was likely just to throw out the the hint/confirmation that no, we won't be getting complex earth likes or big game hunting. Or sand worms.

edit - what I'm saying is don't panic about this thread being derailed as it might inhibit the truth from being discovered .... we'll need to wait for fdev to tell us. There are no answers here.
This. We dont know, anything else could be conjecture or wild speculation.
Problem is there will still be conjecture and wild speculation until we get some firm details from FD which I dont see coming until December at the earliest.

We don't know if "tenuous" was being used in a colloquial sense, ie not earth likes or complex weather patterns.
That's my guess. It would be nice if we at least got some basic clouds here and there. We already have this mechanism thanks to Lagrange clouds (which if you look out the side while flying through feel surprisingly volumetric / realistic). Now full-blown weather patterns, that's a very different beast. FDev hasn't even been able to give us a simple dynamic cloud texture map for nonlandable planets, so I highly doubt this is coming anytime soon.

This. We dont know, anything else could be conjecture or wild speculation.
Problem is there will still be conjecture and wild speculation until we get some firm details from FD which I dont see coming until December at the earliest.
Yeah, we might get more of an idea even without confirmation depending on any footage we get to see. But that might be it until close to release in terms of actual confirmation.

That's my guess. It would be nice if we at least got some basic clouds here and there. We already have this mechanism thanks to Lagrange clouds (which if you look out the side while flying through feel surprisingly volumetric / realistic). Now full-blown weather patterns, that's a very different beast. FDev hasn't even been able to give us a simple dynamic cloud texture map for nonlandable planets, so I highly doubt this is coming anytime soon.
I'll take it!

(but I continue to dream ... )

I think the game already having internal categorisations for 'thin', normal, & 'thick' atmospheres is intriguing though, and worth pursuing in the interim. (I think it could be a helpful expectation-setter if so ;))

I just want to be able to touch base with those who have the skills and moxy to interrogate that info.

On the SC stuff, I’m mainly just rolling my eyes at the irrelevant conjecture from our resident fanboi ;). But a thread lock would still be irritating.

Last edited:
I think the game already having internal categorisations for 'thin', normal, & 'thick' atmospheres is intriguing though, and worth pursuing in the interim. (I think it could be a helpful expectation-setter if so ;))

I just want to be able to touch base with those who have the skills and moxy to interrogate that info.

On the SC stuff, I’m mainly just rolling my eyes at the irrelevant conjecture from our resident fanboi ;). But a thread lock would still be irritating.
I'll stop having my fun for now ;)

Thanks, but no, i have no willing for "controlling left and right panels" during 3-7 minutes of supercruise, because apart from staring at "Cargohold: 57 tons of biowaste" line of text, they are absurdly useless in supercruise

In SC, during QT i can:
  • list through available contracts, read them, plan what and how i can do further upon arrival, and accept corresponding contracts aforehead
  • tune ship systems, adjust power distribution, overclock / downclock individual modules, depending on what i expect to do / face with in the point of destination. That is what "being in charge of ship" means. Not keeping circle in the center of the screen. Though, preferences depend on player IQ of probably...
  • configure my character outfitting, again, depending on what i expect in the destination. For example if i fly to Microtech, i can change spacesuit to an armor with heating function to withstand cold environment, or change hand weapons, refill clips / magazines in the armor pockets
  • in most of ships i can stand up, go to check / sort out cargo, boxes, take or put weapons from the armor stand
  • and of course i can stand up and go for a cup of tea IRL, because i don't need to keep circle in the middle of the screen :D
While in ED, during supercruise, you are in charge of
  • "controlling left and right panels"
  • keeping circle in the center of a screen, like a monkey in science excercise in lab (unless you installed supercruise assistant, then you have nothing at all except left and right panels). Nothing else is under your control while you are waiting for arrival to destination.
  • ah and of course you can turn left or right in supercruise - only to increase the time to be wasted on waiting for flight to destination :)
To my pity, definitely ED here is again far behind in terms of gameplay variety and possibilities.

Wrong. Only single-seater fighters don't have place to wander around. And that perfectly corresponds to their role of short-range fighters. If one tries to use them for long-route traversing/hauling/etc it's his right to do stuped things :D All other ships, even the cheapest starter noobship available by default, has place to wander around.

Wrong. All ships except single-seater fighters will have meaningful gameplay during QT, related to modules / hull maintenance.

Do you know why in ED we will never get ships interiors? Exectly because fanboys like you protect the existing "controlling left and right panels" "meaningful" gameplay in ED so fiercely. FDev, looking at that, of course decide to don't spend resources on a thing "that is not requested by community".
Well, good luck with "controlling left and right panels" gameplay...
Awesome! Who needs Space and Sim in THE bdsse when there's (or hopefully maybe will be) all these things to do!

If you added a haze filter, you'd have tenuous atmospheres to a ' T ' :)
I use the current haze system, and this planet doesn't have a lot to begin with (it's there but subtle). I'm looking for other planets with more natural haze and perhaps some nice planets in the sky to try this out. Ideally they should have a gravity close to Mars and not to close or far from the sun to be "realistic", so if anybody as any suggestions (the closer to Sol the better), let me know!

Top Bottom