Tenuous Atmospheres: How Will They Work...?

Haaaaang on, there just might be a wee giveaway here about just how thick a "tenuous" atmosphere can be...

Wildly speculative hats on...
It's a piece of concept art...
There really is nothing to be gained by trying to hone in on specifics here - it's a concept for the art team to use as inspiration.

I find it really odd people look into concept art as though it has something customers can learn from, aside from "oooh pretty"

That's all concept art is, it doesn't mean anything, it doesn't represent anything.

While this is obviosly a step to a right direction from Fdev.. adding of more world types for us to explore. My hope is that this is just the first step of many to bring ALL the planets and planet types for us to explore on foot. I hope after Odyssey is released they will continue to work to add more planet types.. either as additions to Odyssey or another paid expansion. I will gladly pay for another Odyssey type expansion...

There really is nothing to be gained by trying to hone in on specifics here - it's a concept for the art team to use as inspiration.

I find it really odd people look into concept art as though it has something customers can learn from, aside from "oooh pretty"

That's all concept art is, it doesn't mean anything, it doesn't represent anything.
I'm aware of what concept art is. My work is related to the creative industries, so I'm quite familiar with that.

It's also produced by people that have more insider knowledge and assets than we've been provided with so far regarding Odyssey. There will almost certainly be some "bible" or document of agreed ideas and concepts that they're working from. It's entirely possible we might glean insight into what some of the plans are (or were at some point along the way) by looking at details here.

You say there's nothing to gain, I say there's nothing to lose.

Yeah, I know there are plenty of shrill voices on here from time to time, and plenty of people who take Elite way too personally, to the point they experience a strong emotional reaction when their self-built expectations aren't met, but I, and most other mature-minded fans (surely including you) will not be hurt by a bit of speculation, even if it turns out to be incorrect (as this one likely did, if you scroll up a few posts).

The amusement of speculating is stronger than any disappointment, to me, and if others are too scared to speculate because they get too emotionally invested, then that's their lookout.

It's true that delving into specifics is probably a hiding to nothing.

Concept art can factor in aspirations for game design etc though, so it's still fun to ponder.

Plus sometimes they hit the nail on the head ;)

Source: https://twitter.com/elitedangerous/status/713089468157337600

Let's also not forget the ice-world rework concept art they showed off, versus what they showed off in the... oh, what was it... "that" reveal. Ya'know, when they actually showed off the gameplay footage?
Don't know about ya'll, but it seems to me they missed a few key details in that as well...

Not sure, given FDEVs ability to translate concept art into the game is kind of......tenuous.
Compared to who?

There's a clue in the word "concept" though. It's not a hardened design, it's an artists impression of something that's comparatively low cost to produce early on.

Target ATM might be target atmosphere in some sort of terraforming facility in a low atmosphere world? Tenuous atmosphere worlds ...
Another thing that occurred to me... Vega Facility... VEGA. Vega could be a company or just a base designation, most famously it's a star system.

What atmospheric planets are in the Vega system? Might be worth having a look at the atmospheric density in relation to the original question in the OP.

Again, likely to be a random choice of system, but worth a look.

Edit: Vega 2b is the only body in that system that isn't a gas giant, an earthlike, or already landable. A rocky body, 0.2G, atmosphere 90.00% Sulphur dioxide, 5.00% Silicates, 3.00% Oxygen, 401K (so pretty toasty!). Unfortunately EDSM doesn't give the atmospheric pressure and I'm not near my main PC to check in-game. Can someone check that?

Edit: EDDB.IO has it at 0.00 Atmospheres. It's tenuous alright!

Last edited:
I imagine Vega Facility is just an installation name, but the space taxi image from the same set of concept art mentions Diso, that might actually refer to the system? A few possibilities in Diso.

I mean ...what are we looking at here? View attachment 181375
I took that to be an advert for travel to the Diso system ("Visit now!"), a Wish You Were Here sorta thing rather than an indication of where the booth itself is. But who knows?

It's not actually clear whether this is on a surface or aboard a station. But if it was the latter, that would be cool too.

I'm guessing "Frontline" is either the shop that sells space guns, or it's where player characters go to get wormed and de-flead.

Top Bottom