[Suggestion] be able to "plot" a route

This is one thing I would really, really like the devs to explain their thoughts about - surely it's not SUPPOSED to work this way? But we brought this issue up in Beta 1 as well and it appears to have fallen on deaf ears.

I think the difficulty comes in the fact that the carriers are persistent and there is a hard cap to how many bodies can be in a system. So the problem becomes how to ensure that there will be enough slots available in each system on the route not only at the time of scheduling but also the entire time the plotted jump route is playing out since that could literally take days.

This is not insurmountable, they would just need to implement a system of system slot reservations and, perhaps, variable jump scheduling. I say "just"...as a software architect I should know better. The point is that it is not as straight forward as it would seem.

Edit: another issue that just occurred to me is the matter of fuel consumption and supply being somewhat unpredictable when your carrier's mass can change when people buy or sell at your carrier. So you may plot a route and have the necessary fuel when you start but if someone sells you a couple of thousand units of whatever, your mass could increase above what your fuel supply can bear. Again, solvable but each solvable problem adds to the complexity.

Last edited:
I agree, I think it would be nice to be able to plot to the limit of our tanks. I can see the arguement against it though, There might be fears of it becoming a "fast travel/auto pilot" method, especially if you throw the possibility of using stored Tritium from the cargo. I'd say a fair compromise would be plotting by the tanks worth, then a manual refuel from the hold.

Sounds to me like people don't actually want route plotting at all.

What people are asking for is that a FC can jump to any point within their stored tritium range. It has no value to have the FC appear in systems every 20 minutes along the way. Make the travel time still be based on 20mins/500 ly maybe, the need for huge fuel transfers should stop most exploits.

FC aren't ships, and this would reinforce that.

Hmmm, I'm actually more ok with this than I thought I would be.

I'd be happy with route plotting only working while you're in-game to avoid the overnight fast travel to Colonia problem. I'm paying millions for a bunch of people to operate my carrier. Surely they can route plot for me and use fuel from the cargo hold without hand-holding.

I'd be happy with route plotting only working while you're in-game to avoid the overnight fast travel to Colonia problem. I'm paying millions for a bunch of people to operate my carrier. Surely they can route plot for me and use fuel from the cargo hold without hand-holding.
C'mon - that's appalling. Your suggestion is that you set a route then go watch netflix for 14 hours as your FC jumps to Colonia.

What people are asking for is that a FC can jump to any point within their stored tritium range. It has no value to have the FC appear in systems every 20 minutes along the way. Make the travel time still be based on 20mins/500 ly maybe, the need for huge fuel transfers should stop most exploits.

Likewise - while they're breaking all the rules what's one more? [1]

Probably still limit it to the actual fuel tank rather than anything in the cargo hold just to stop people spinning up a jump to Beagle a day in advance [2], but a 3500LY jump with a 2h:15m spin-up time wouldn't seem unbalanced in the context of everything else FCs do, and it'd give you more time to have a look around at each stop. You'd pay for it in slightly reduced range since you wouldn't be able to shift fuel out of the hold into the tank between jumps, so it's not cost-free.

It'd let you move a bit faster if you only played an hour a day since the jump queued up while you were offline would be bigger, but so would multi-jump plotting, or delegated carrier permissions, or other things that should be included ... or just leaving your PC on overnight with a very slow keyboard macro running.

[1] There's even an in-game argument for allowing this - some of the non-dockable megaships running between Colonia and the bubble make that in a single jump, but they do have two weeks to charge up for it and presumably bigger fuel tanks.

[2] There's definitely a very effective credit generator if you can make Colonia-bubble in a single jump no matter how long the spin-up time is, but at ~3500LY max (or probably even twice that) it's less effective than hitchhiking on someone else's ferry overnight, so that's fine.

Sounds to me like people don't actually want route plotting at all.

FC aren't ships, and this would reinforce that.

This is an excellent idea. The alternative is to put on Netflix and pause it every twenty minutes to jump the carrier, and that's just a chore that Frontier would be wise to spare their players.

The main attraction of an exploration carrier for me is the ability to fly different ships while exploring, but a second would be the ability to separate traveling from exploring. In my past two expeditions I've always been going somewhere, and when I stop, say, to explore a nebula, I always feel this immense pressure to be getting on and making progress. By letting the Fleet Carrier take care of "making progress" I could relax and maybe do a bit more exploring than just bagging high-value planets.

In which case, what would be a reasonable distance to allow a carrier to jump? At the moment a full Tritium Depot would allow an approximately 2,000 LY jump. I was thinking that you could have an option to expand the Tritium Depot to 3,000t to permit a jump of approx. 6,000 LY* - but impose a cooldown of 16 hrs (to leave the player some leeway on when they play on consecutive days) after any jump of more than 500 LY, to prevent players traveling near-instantly across the galaxy.

Mind you, even if this were a good idea, I'm not optimistic about Frontier making that sort of change at this point. Still, no harm in asking! 🙂

*Limited to routes plotted in 500 LY steps to avoid opening up the outer limits of the galaxy even more.

Edit: I picked 6,000 LY because it's the distance I typically cover in my Exploraconda in a travelling/bagging high value planets session. So I'm not looking to travel my Fleet Carrier further in a day than I usually would go anyway.

Last edited:
Why can't the system setup way points for jumps over 500 ly? I wouldn't mind waiting an extra 15 min just so I could get all my ships where I want to go.

Top Bottom