Step by step engineering?

They're really not that hard, just look in right hand panel under engineers to see your progress.

Inara lists all the invite requirements and what each one offers so that's a good place to start.

Make a habit of collecting mats as you play (collector limpets in combat/ scanning ships in SC/ taking mat rewards for missions) etc and you'll normally have a healthy stock.

G3 is cheap and easy, best for trying out new mods and builds. Once you've got one you like you can focus them upto G5 using remote engineering as and when you have mats available.

Best advice is to not try and rush them all at once. Try unlocking and pinning a blueprint from one a week interspersed with more fun activities to stave off the "grind."

1: Grind to unlock engineer
2: Grind to increase item grade
3: Grind to install modules
4: Grind so engineer will introduce you to a new engineer
5: Goto step 1 until fully engineered.

Ok so, is there a guide out there that spells out how engineering works, step by step?

I imagine there are actually several, so, I guess post your favorite!

Decide the purpose and role of your ship then consider the engineering best suited for that role then play the game and gradually upgrade ship to level 5.

If you haven't already seen Fox's Comprehensive Guide to Engineer Unlocking then that's a good place to start. It won't tell you what engineering upgrades to apply to your modules - that very much depends on what ship you have and what you intend to use it for - but it explains the basics and spells out a very efficient path to unlocking all of the engineers.

That said, take others' advice here: religiously following the most efficient path to engineer unlocking requires maximum grind, and you'll burn out pretty quickly. I found it's better to use the above guide as a suggestion and intersperse it with "normal" gameplay.

Worth noting that this doesn't include the new on-foot engineers from Odyssey.

If you haven't already seen Fox's Comprehensive Guide to Engineer Unlocking then that's a good place to start. It won't tell you what engineering upgrades to apply to your modules - that very much depends on what ship you have and what you intend to use it for - but it explains the basics and spells out a very efficient path to unlocking all of the engineers.

That said, take others' advice here: religiously following the most efficient path to engineer unlocking requires maximum grind, and you'll burn out pretty quickly. I found it's better to use the above guide as a suggestion and intersperse it with "normal" gameplay.

Worth noting that this doesn't include the new on-foot engineers from Odyssey.
I like that one.
@OP
This is the one that got me started.

Oh, and don't forget the Guardian modules (fsd booster)

Last edited:
1: Grind to unlock engineer
2: Grind to increase item grade
3: Grind to install modules
4: Grind so engineer will introduce you to a new engineer
5: Goto step 1 until fully engineered.
I may not be the sharpest tool in the toolbox, but is there a common denominator here?

Something, something, grind maybe?

g you needI may not be the sharpest tool in the toolbox, but is there a common denominator here?

Something, something, grind maybe?
My first time thru, I'll admit it was a grind. Not only was I in a rush, but I didn't know what I was doing.

But how much of a grind is totally up to the player. You can find everything you need thru 100% 'normal' gameplay. If you want some suggestions, let me know.

Top Bottom