In-Development StatusDisplay - status.json / journal display and surface navigation assistant.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

1) I will attempt to hide the borders on the MFDs - probably by removing the ability to resize on-the-fly and replacing it with height and width settings.
2) Offering an option to display POSN/DEST on either (or neither) MFD is on my internal to-do-list already. What do you mean by "custom windows"? If you mean the same 15 display elements as on MFD1 then yes - that's part of making POSN/DEST optional.
3) I'll have a look at adding font changing as an option - however some elements (POSN/DEST and the main overlay) use a monospaced font at this time. Do you have any particular fonts in mind? Regarding font size, it's set so that all display element text is the same size and is therefore limited to fitting 9 characters in the left/right column display elements.

Hi,

1, this would be great
2, that was exactly my idea too
3, my favourite font would be Euro Caps ;) , fits for me perfectly to the ED design. Font size is already fine, it is readable, was just an idea for cosmetic reasons.

I'm really curious, how your app will look like after one year of development, it is already great for a DIY spaceship fanatic like me, and there are so many possibilities...

Best regards!

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.0.9 released.

Changelog:

1) MFD window font can now be chosen between Telegrama and Euro Caps.
2) DEST/POSN display in centre of MFD is now optional (settings for centre display elements survive toggling of the centre display).

To do list:

1) Remove borders from MFD windows;
2) Look at increasing font size in MFD windows where possible (centre display elements in a "taller than it is wide" window in particular).
3) Add brightness setting to MFD windows.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

Yesterday I took a few test-flights with the status-displays turned on, Whoa :D ! And now the fonts match my other displays' look too...

Best regards!

This is shaping up great robert - well done!.
Had some time yesterday, so gave it a whirl and found my way to some coordinates perfectly - everything worked as expected.
I am probably going to be a fringe use case as I already have an MFD set up to view various in game events, so only really need the overlay and the center Dest/posn segment.

The ability to show only the Dest/posn segment would be a welcome feature for me, also a hotkey to toggle visibility of that segment along with the overlay would make it feature perfect for my use case.
As I said this seems to work great so far, so the only other feedback I can give is that maybe heading bearing and distance font on the overlay could be bigger to make more it prominent amongst all the other data on view.
Have not tried yet but I plan on pulling the overlay into VR hence the above feedback.
I like to use a black background with green text, could that be a theme option or something I could tweak in the ini file?

hLUtmlX.png

Basically I would like to achieve this...
Lgx95Hz.png

Thanks again for your work!.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.1.0 released.

Changelog:

1) MFD borders can now be hidden - either by double-clicking the MFD window or changing the setting using the relevant dialog.
2) No change to font size (yet) but pips reworked and Euro Caps (and Telegrama) now justify more effectively.
3) Colour, saturation and luminosity can now be set for the overlay and both MFDs.
4) All elements of overlay can now be toggled - one must remain, however.

To do list:

1) Font size - maybe set such that all MFD centre display elements use the same size (which would not necessarily be the size used by all of the peripheral display elements).
2) Investigate hotkey to hide overlay.
3) Add more defined buttons.

Last edited:
Hi,

Borderless windows look very cool!

Just a small thing: in the previous version, text alignment in the left/right side columns was 'centered', now it seems to be different. Could there be a checkbox to choose 'centered' (or left/right)?

Thanks in advance!

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I'll add a pair of text alignment options for each of the five groups of display elements - horizontal, i.e. left, right & centre and vertical, i.e. top, vcentre, bottom.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.1.1 released.

Changelog:

1) Added MFD display element group alignment settings.

To-do-list:

As Beta 0.0.1.0.

j'ai testé pour vous : ça marche !!
quel pied ce petit soft !! faire le tour d'une planète en mode caméra, c'est le top

MERCI !!!

I tested for you: it works!
what a foot this little soft !! go around a planet in camera mode, this is the top

THANK YOU !!![yesnod]

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
More progress. I've reworked the pips display code and visuals. All options remain at the moment, however the single height pips with two rows of text looks a bit sparse in relation to the others. Thoughts?

Also, any special requests for display elements? I'm going to add simple text for use in the periphery for button binds however any ideas are welcome.

Beta 0.0.1.2 released.

Changelog:

1) Changes to simplify display element handling.
2) New pips display options.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

• what do you think about a message window, lets say, 3 blocks next to each other in the centre, (or 3x2, 3x3, whatever), with event based messages, like "Docking in progress at Bacon Hub, landing pad 22", or "You've been interdicted by the pirate John Smith". With customizable messages, based on the variables given by the log and status file. Based on the pictures, Commander Rockyrocket did something similar too, and as I imagine, it should look fancy, but I don't have the programming knowledge to reproduce it :( .

• Play event/status related animgifs in another window (within the MFD or in a separate one, like DEST/POS)? This is what I do with my bottom right window on my dashboard, but with Honeyview, AHK and VA, so not in the most elegant, stable and simple way :) .

• Custom theme for background? I mean, you could add a pre defined grid template jpg, we could edit it, draw buttons, frames, etc...

• Android support? (ARX applet, browser based, or dedicated app) ? As I saw, many of us use Android tablets with the Cougars, or just as a simple display panel...

I'm curious, what do you think?

Forgive me for my long wish-list, but inside I'm a child, with an adult body on the outside...

Best regards!

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Robert,

• what do you think about a message window, lets say, 3 blocks next to each other in the centre, (or 3x2, 3x3, whatever), with event based messages, like "Docking in progress at Bacon Hub, landing pad 22", or "You've been interdicted by the pirate John Smith". With customizable messages, based on the variables given by the log and status file. Based on the pictures, Commander Rockyrocket did something similar too, and as I imagine, it should look fancy, but I don't have the programming knowledge to reproduce it :( .

• Play event/status related animgifs in another window (within the MFD or in a separate one, like DEST/POS)? This is what I do with my bottom right window on my dashboard, but with Honeyview, AHK and VA, so not in the most elegant, stable and simple way :) .

• Custom theme for background? I mean, you could add a pre defined grid template jpg, we could edit it, draw buttons, frames, etc...

• Android support? (ARX applet, browser based, or dedicated app) ? As I saw, many of us use Android tablets with the Cougars, or just as a simple display panel...

I'm curious, what do you think?

Forgive me for my long wish-list, but inside I'm a child, with an adult body on the outside...

Best regards!

1) There is scope for more windows. I'd need to look at the journal file for those events - however I had it in mind to do that anyway, i.e. current system, etc. - so yes, I'll add that to the list.
2) Not sure about this one. No experience with placing bitmaps into windows, much less animated ones - I'll investigate.
3) The MFDs are fully drawn, there is no template image as such - so probably not (or at least not as a priority).
4) There's already an app that works with Android: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...on-app-(with-simulated-space-traffic-control) - you may find that that already covers your requirement.

The dumping of snow here in blighty gave me some extra time to play with this again, and the latest updates have given me most of what I wanted - thanks.
The overlay on its own has covered everything, even whilst in VR it is damn useful...

h6NWuES.png

9gjRlSU.png

Thanks again.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
The dumping of snow here in blighty gave me some extra time to play with this again, and the latest updates have given me most of what I wanted - thanks.
The overlay on its own has covered everything, even whilst in VR it is damn useful...

https://i.imgur.com/h6NWuES.png

https://i.imgur.com/9gjRlSU.png

Thanks again.

Thanks and you're welcome! I'm glad that it works for you in VR.

I was thinking of adding a minimal destination window, i.e. bearing, range and eta only, on two lines, three columns, no borders - would that be a better option compared to the current DEST display?

1) There is scope for more windows. I'd need to look at the journal file for those events - however I had it in mind to do that anyway, i.e. current system, etc. - so yes, I'll add that to the list.
2) Not sure about this one. No experience with placing bitmaps into windows, much less animated ones - I'll investigate.
3) The MFDs are fully drawn, there is no template image as such - so probably not (or at least not as a priority).
4) There's already an app that works with Android: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...on-app-(with-simulated-space-traffic-control) - you may find that that already covers your requirement.

Thanks!

This gives me a direction, how to redesign my rig! It seems, a 19" monitor will be added as central dash-board, under the main monitor. I can put the Cougars onto this physically somehow, maybe with a plexiglass covering the whole screen...

One last idea (for now :) ) : can you add the possibility to create dummy buttons with editable texts (maybe with custom colors too? This could be useful for standard buttons too, or at least for whole column/row). I have some buttons on the Cougars for VoiceAttack macros, and I'd be happy to use them in the future too, with the new setup...

Best regards!

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
One last idea (for now :) ) : can you add the possibility to create dummy buttons with editable texts (maybe with custom colors too? This could be useful for standard buttons too, or at least for whole column/row). I have some buttons on the Cougars for VoiceAttack macros, and I'd be happy to use them in the future too, with the new setup...

Editable text would add another level of complexity to the save/load settings process - not impossible just not high on the list at this time.

I'd be more than happy to embed custom text for buttons - up to 3 lines, up to 9 characters each - I've allowed for 4,095 possible defined buttons after all.... :)

I was thinking of adding a minimal destination window, i.e. bearing, range and eta only, on two lines, three columns, no borders - would that be a better option compared to the current DEST display?
Yes it would, however the current works fine so maybe make it an option as opposed to a replacement - or was that what you meant? :)

Top Bottom