SRV Orbital Drop

Precisely as the title says, I would appreciate being able to drop the SRV without landing all the way even if the limit is within 1 km of the surface just being able to drop the SRV makes sense especially when it becomes multi-crew capable.
You could do something like what appeared in the Horizons trailer with the SRV taking out anti-air turrets and light skimmers while the ships or SLFs take out the opposing ships, heavy skimmers like the Goliath, and with a good enough pilot or gunner ground defenses.

I think this is a bug, but the other day I landed my Keelback, and deployed my SRV only realize that my ship was actually hovering above the surface and have my SRV drop about 15 meters to the ground.

While I don't think SRVs should be able to be dropped from 1 km, I do think they should be drop-able from about 20 m or so (1 km is WAY too far to fall on a high G world). The way I think it should work is that a crew member would press the deploy SRV button, and be transferred to the SRV. from there, the SRV would be held in place until the mother ship to slows down to less than 40 m/s at an altitude of 20 m or less, at which point the SRV would be released and the mother ship would be free to go do whatever. It would be viable for rapid deployment, but the mother ship would be venerable while deploying the SRV.

By 1km i mean you can drop it not should, also it would allow you to use SRVs as bombs maybe make it so that if you stuff an SRV full of explosives it will actually do damage as a weapon. just an idea honestly its from Mass Effect with the evil car of doom.

While I don't think SRVs should be able to be dropped from 1 km, I do think they should be drop-able from about 20 m or so (1 km is WAY too far to fall on a high G world).
Maxim 11 - Everything is air droppable at least once.

Regardless of altitude, this would be an amazing feature, especially if/when we get SRVs available in multicrew.

this would be great
I'd be down with it being an option to drop anywhere, using the SRVs thrusters to slow the descent (some technobabble about "all power to vertical thrusters" to give them the extra power needed whilst absolutely minimum horizontal speed.

my favourite part? this wouldn't have to be restricted to on-planet use!
allow dropping srv's in space as an extremely slow moving turret your crewmember uses?
allow dropping srv's near an asteroid field to mine in space?
or indeed, as you say, drop an srv from way high as the first wave of a planned wing sized attack onto a reaper *cough* thargoid base

Top Bottom