Space forest. Yep.

It seems like you'll be able to tell if a planet will support life based on it's scan stats. Atmosphere type and density, average temperatures, stuff like hat. Planets that support life/have life are absolutely crowded with it. You can land pretty much anywhere on the planet and you'll see it's dominant life-form. Some types of life are so common that you can find similar ones on entirely different planets (A little bit of a letdown sometimes. It seems like they allow the same lifeform to exist on another planet without any procedurally generated differences) But there seems to be a variety, and there are rarer types of life that you don't commonly find, or only find on special types of planets with special conditions
It makes sense that some lifeforms will be everywhere. We 34th century types are probably as good as illustrated by Ridley Scott at keeping to quarantine procedures, so intrepid explorers in their rush to make footfall on as many planets as possible will have spread algae and other organisms far and wide. And then there is of course the life forms that, despite not being measurably intelligent, are space faring: I'm patiently waiting for Stage Trees to be introduced.

One condition I hope to see, that I see a lot in my own work with spatial modelling, is latitudinal influence on biogeography. Especially on tidally locked planets, life may cluster at or at a fixed distance to the stellar body providing the energy. Be it a star or another planet.

I also would like to see fossils. Planets with tenuous atmospheres may once have had more prolific life. There could be remains of that to be found, to add some real feeling of Deep Time to what at the moment is just represented as ages of stars in the System Maps.

:D S

How would you feel if finding and visiting these sites, then scanning the plants for some data material was the entirety of the "exploration" part of Odyssey? Kinda like how you find bio/geo sites and shoot stuff in Horizons?

Say what you will, I kind of like the "on foot" perspective more then the SRV one.
Shame it all will be wasted on mindless grind and combat like the rest of the game.

Say what you will, I kind of like the "on foot" perspective more then the SRV one.
Shame it all will be wasted on mindless grind and combat like the rest of the game.
But you don't have to mindlessly grind. Nothing is forcing you, except yourself.

Yep, but first we need to find them. I hope/assume the sciency suit will come with some sort of waveform analyser/visualiser similar to what we have in the SRV. The ship should really also have it for low-altitude flight so we could do more efficient surveys.

After mapping a planet, it's now possible to switch between several different overlays to the map (instead of the old generic blue overlay we have in Horizons), this is likely how you'll find it on planets with sparse bio lifeforms.

Top Bottom