Patch Notes September Update - Patch 1

OK you have really annoyed me now - I never threw a tantrum, I merely said I didn't appreciate it's use. Post #371... "(So I don't appreciate the raised eyebrow then.) " Anything after that post is me responding to you and someone else's comments about me. There are apparently other posts which I cannot see but you are going well over the top about this as far as my remark was concerned.

Fact - the information was put out ON THE FORUM in a short post buried in page 41 of a series of wistful reminiscences by people entering a competition - (to me that is BURIED @Max Factor ) - the OP of that thread was edited by a moderator to show the new date but the thread title wasn't edited to highlight that information had changed. It isn't as if it would have destroyed a rain-forest to make a thread saying "offer extended" - after all that is what making a tweet does - a new thread - do we have to conserve forum space?

So "raising an eyebrow" is basically sarcastically saying "how did you miss that" and is rude.

Community managers should communicate effectively with the community - sticking something deep in a thread isn't "communicating effectively" - it is sloppy. Then basically insulting someone who hadn't delved deep enough to see their words is just totally uncalled-for.

I never made a fuss about this, just said I didn't appreciate the "emoji" - I repeat, all I said was "(So I don't appreciate the raised eyebrow then.)", subsequent muck-raking has not been at my instigation so the only tantrum I have had is at people having a go at me.
I believe from all posts I made in this thread not a single one was targeted at you, apart from those where you quoted me while I was in a discussion with another member. So if you want to understand what I am posting it would help if you would read the whole discussion, which you can't, because some posts have already been deleted. Trust me, although I disagree with you on the raised eyebrow thing, my reaction would be completely different if it would be just you who I am talking to.

I believe from all posts I made in this thread not a single one was targeted at you, apart from those where you quoted me while I was in a discussion with another member. So if you want to understand what I am posting it would help if you would read the whole discussion, which you can't, because some posts have already been deleted. Trust me, although I disagree with you on the raised eyebrow thing, my reaction would be completely different if it would be just you who I am talking to.
Okeydokey - my apologies for misinterpreting your post, as you correctly say, I can't see all those posts.

Last edited:
fdev have done quite a bit of posting updates into mega-threads recently so they don't seem to realise that important updates get lost in this process. So I think Will's emoji was just 'I am puzzled'. Which he would be, if they haven't seen that buried / edited updates are an issue. But hey, reading emotion from text is an inexact science 🤷‍♀️

fdev have done quite a bit of posting updates into mega-threads recently so they don't seem to realise that important updates get lost in this process. So I think Will's emoji was just 'I am puzzled'. Which he would be, if they haven't seen that buried / edited updates are an issue. But hey, reading emotion from text is an inexact science 🤷‍♀️
Well there are several ways to get relevant information. You can click on the Dev Post icon to cycle through their replies. You can follow them and see all their posts in your personal forum news feed. You can visit https://elitedevtracker.com/ (which for some reason doesn't display posts by Stephen Benedetti) or you can follow the RSS feed https://ed.miggy.org/devposts.html (which is what I do). So if you are really interested in communication it's not that difficult. Sure, they could also start a new thread for each and every comment they make, but I feel like this would be a little over the top. For more "important" stuff (like the bobblehead), maybe a new thread would've made sense, but for me there is no clear right or wrong in this case.

PS
I am just happy that they are posting... ;)

Last edited:
Well there are several ways to get relevant information. You can click on the Dev Post icon to cycle through their replies. You can follow them and see all their posts in your personal forum news feed. You can visit https://elitedevtracker.com/ (which for some reason doesn't display by Stephen Benedetti) or you can follow the RSS feed https://ed.miggy.org/devposts.html (which is what I do). So if you are really interested in communication it's not that difficult. Sure, they could also start a new thread for each and every comment they make, but I feel like this would be a little over the top. For more "important" stuff (like the bobblehead), maybe a new thread would've made sense, but for me there is no clear right or wrong in this case.

PS
I am aware of these - but really the very fact that there are so many external ways to find news posts indicates some issues 🤷‍♀️

It would be awesome if the forums's dev tracker was actually working. But considering they can't even get their shop online I wouldn't get my hopes up... ;)
Why do people say the shop isn't online? I bought Arx and then cosmetics with those Arxs just the other day, no problem.

..... So if you are really interested in communication it's not that difficult. ........
The things is though that it is their job to communicate effectively, the onus should be on them to get the information realdily available to us, not require us to actively search for it. Customers having to rely on third party tools to find out what is going on shows that the company's communicatons are faulty.

If the "Staff/Developer Posts" option on the forum just returned staff posts and not just list every thread with a dev post in it then that might be OK but at the moment they are not making a decent fist of communicating on the forum.

It would be awesome if the forums's dev tracker was actually working. ....
Precisely.

The things is though that it is their job to communicate effectively, the onus should be on them to get the information realdily available to us, not require us to actively search for it. Customers having to rely on third party tools to find out what is going on shows that the company's communicatons are faulty.
Using that argument you could just as well complain that reading their comments requires a web browser... ;)
Anyway, considering that most other developers aren't communicating at all I am quite happy that Will usually makes several posts per day. And as said above, you could just follow them using the forum software.

If the "Staff/Developer Posts" option on the forum just returned staff posts and not just list every thread with a dev post in it then that might be OK but at the moment they are not making a decent fist of communicating on the forum.
As said above, with that I absolutely agree.

Well there are several ways to get relevant information. You can click on the Dev Post icon to cycle through their replies. You can follow them and see all their posts in your personal forum news feed. You can visit https://elitedevtracker.com/ (which for some reason doesn't display posts by Stephen Benedetti) or you can follow the RSS feed https://ed.miggy.org/devposts.html (which is what I do). So if you are really interested in communication it's not that difficult. Sure, they could also start a new thread for each and every comment they make, but I feel like this would be a little over the top. For more "important" stuff (like the bobblehead), maybe a new thread would've made sense, but for me there is no clear right or wrong in this case.

PS
I normally rely on OA to keep me informed since I stopped being obsessed.

@Flannagan

Ok , here is what the EliteDangerous64.exe.watchdog file says about my copy of ED bombing out on "Unable to Initialize Network. Please Check Your Connection" on a Verizon DSL connection that worked fine for ED for 41/2 years. It only handles IPv4 addressing;

Opened log file.
StartProcess
waiting for event...
Event triggered!
Target app exited cleanly with exit code 3221225477.
Closed log file.

The associated network log

============================================
Logs/netLog.190925110946.01.log (part 1)
2019-09-25 11:09 Eastern Daylight Time
============================================
{15:09:46GMT 0.273s} ClientBuild 3.5.1.203 EDH r211343 (win64)
{15:09:46GMT 0.352s} === GetNetworkParams: Host:Anonymous-WS Domain: ===
{15:09:54GMT 8.346s} upnpDiscover() error code=0
{15:09:54GMT 8.346s} failed to initialise upnp
{15:09:54GMT 8.677s} IPv4 is enabled, but address not found
{15:13:13GMT 207.561s} Machine 1 x 2 Local Machine disconnected: shutdown

What address, precisely, is ED looking for?

Last edited:
Top Bottom