ANNOUNCEMENT September Update out now!

Do you think they do internal testing on the live server?

Remember when we do betas that Exploration data isn't brought over because it is stored on a separate server. Lots of things are stored in lots of different places and something can not be an issue when testing, but then when you hook it into the live servers something you couldn't have noticed springs up.

I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, or suggest a better way of doing it. I just don't like QA always getting the blame when something goes wrong ;)
that is, sorry, in your opinion. is it very difficult to make a copy of the game world on a separate server and install an update for the test there? I understand that it’s your duty as a moderator to protect fd, but ... are you serious now?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
It's not my duty. I say what I think.

that is, sorry, in your opinion. is it very difficult to make a copy of the game world on a separate server and install an update for the test there? I understand that it’s your duty as a moderator to protect fd, but ... are you serious now?
If Frontier had a beta test then either these would have been spotted or not. If they included the upgrade process in the test, then they absolutely would have been spotted. They just need to copy the existing database over and start from there.

If they had had a beta test and this had still gone wrong, then they would have community members batting for them, saying that these problems definitely didn't crop up in the beta test and this must be a problem with the upgrade.
They use and outdated snapshot for the betas and they never bring exploration data and a few other bits across. We had a very similar thing to the engineering display issue, with the Codex records not displaying the correct information from the database in the December release. It all looked fine in the beta, because it wasn't trying to pull through live data.

The only real difference is that it took a day to get the engineering one fixed and 6 months for the Codex one ;)

Again, all just from my own observations of testing the game for 5 years.

They use and outdated snapshot for the betas and they never bring exploration data and a few other bits across. We had a very similar thing to the engineering display issue, with the Codex records not displaying the correct information from the database in the December release. It all looked fine in the beta, because it wasn't trying to pull through live data.
Then they need to do the job properly. Not a public beta but a closed and supported one, maybe even with different phases for different tests. Maybe a few dozen testers that have signed an NDA and have access to a private bug database,

If it's not QA not catching bugs, then it's Devs not fixing bugs or management planning poorly. There really isn't an explanation of what IS happening that doesn't Necessitate change.

The only real difference is that it took a day to get the engineering one fixed and 6 months for the Codex one ;)

Again, all just from my own observations of testing the game for 5 years.
as I said, if the PD posted the September update on a public beta test, there wouldn’t be such a wave of indignation. I do not condemn the fd for the fact that they had errors during the work, but, it is completely incomprehensible to me why the fd threw the assembly with such obvious and serious errors into the release.

Harness that anger Cmdr, then kill some Thargoids with it 👽;)

Being given 400 Arx for doing exactly the same things you did before the Sept update is something to thank Frontier for is it not?
Choosing to attain the weekly Arx limit is a Cmdr's choice, as is buying a paint job with real-world currency. Doing the former might save you some of the latter (that was not an option before this update).

Enjoy the black Cmdrs.
It's really easy to hit the cap, you don't need a whole week, 3 days if you play it moderately. If frontier think they can bore me to submission waiting for the weekly reset to make me put money into the game by making me invest 3 months worth of gameplay to buy one thing for one ship, they are dead wrong. If anything I'm even more inclined not to waste anymore money with ED. They are not going to get away with scummy monetization practices, ship customizations should have been a staple in the game from the start and only now they are making it more accessible. And let's get real here, the paintjobs for most of the ships are ridiculously bad, uninspired and such a low effort job. Nowadays they just copy and paste the same pattern to other ships and expect me to waste several weeks of my like to buy them separetly. Stop being so nice to them and start pressuring to improve the game. Do you honestly think that in 6 years of the game existence we are in a good state? Don't you think the game is underdeveloped? Almost like it has gigantic potencial that is being wasted? Fine if they want focus on microtransactions and nickle and dime it's player, then I'll be dam sure not to let them get away with it. If they want my money then I want to see massive improvements and faster developments and so should you. Nothing is going to improve if you white knight for them, they only care about profit, frontier is a company let's not forget, so changes are only coming if we, the community, force them to do it.

Nothing is going to improve if you white knight for them, they only care about profit, frontier is a company let's not forget, so changes are only coming if we, the community, force them to do it.
Pregnancy takes nine months, unlocking a ship kit takes one month less. Gaining arghs at this rate is nothing but a clever way to pull in more whales. It's not nice of them, or anything. FD isn't a person. It's a company you payed 2x full price to have fun. Don't thank them for utterly messing up.

All else is moot, when you have coffee.
Time for nice Cuban cigar, a hot cup of coffee, while watching the soft rain fall across the small botanical garden.

Whatever happened to the 'Beta Test Servers' that they rolled out 2 years ago, just before the 'Horizons' update - they caught (AND FIXED) 70% more bugs that were not discovered during 'dev testing'!

Fetch back betas, so we can real life test the next update - then we can report any 'fluff ups' (use your own expletive), before it goes live and we end up with this mess we are in now!!

In my days of system testing, your test environment was an exact mirror of your live/production one.

Bugs still crept in mind you, normally if version control went a bit awry, but the bulk of stuff got caught before being pushed live.
At our work the test environment may not be an exact copy, given it has the intended changes, but pre-prod is (until updated).

One observation on FDev is that over the years they have had numerous instances of fixed bugs popping up again, while it's a guess, it feels very much like their source control practices are poor, and sometimes someone has done a bad merge / cocked up a build, and there's no regression testing to catch things.
The external observation of their devops practices seems poor.

One of the mods I think said recently something like "they only work 7 hours in the UK", which is true, but if we'd screwed up a live release you can be damn sure people would be pulling overtime until its fixed.
Or if serious enough, it'd be a rollback: and IME the recent update (given the impact on the majority of live users) would have been pulled until the bugs were fixed, and then pushed out again. We'd never get away with "it can wait over the weekend until Monday", but then our firm is commercial and not a game dev, so <shrug> yay for more relaxed business practices I guess :/

Anyway, lets see if the latest 500MB patch fixes things.

At our work the test environment may not be an exact copy, given it has the intended changes, but pre-prod is (until updated).

One observation on FDev is that over the years they have had numerous instances of fixed bugs popping up again, while it's a guess, it feels very much like their source control practices are poor, and sometimes someone has done a bad merge / cocked up a build, and there's no regression testing to catch things.
The external observation of their devops practices seems poor.

One of the mods I think said recently something like "they only work 7 hours in the UK", which is true, but if we'd screwed up a live release you can be damn sure people would be pulling overtime until its fixed.
Or if serious enough, it'd be a rollback: and IME the recent update (given the impact on the majority of live users) would have been pulled until the bugs were fixed, and then pushed out again. We'd never get away with "it can wait over the weekend until Monday", but then our firm is commercial and not a game dev, so <shrug> yay for more relaxed business practices I guess :/

Anyway, lets see if the latest 500MB patch fixes things.
I think you've pretty much nailed it, and also very accurately described the gap between games devs and devs working in commercial markets.

I'm retired now, but I used to work in FinTech. Guess what: screw-ups ain't tolerated over there. So we use professional DevOps practices.

It only took 1.5 hours but it's downloaded. :D
I'm curious if you don't mind; What part of earth are you and what type of connection are you subject to? Me, Rocky Mountains, wired internet and it was about 5 or 6 minutes. Yeah off topic but there was the opening to ask.

Top Bottom