ANNOUNCEMENT September Update out now!

Harness that anger Cmdr, then kill some Thargoids with it 👽;)

Being given 400 Arx for doing exactly the same things you did before the Sept update is something to thank Frontier for is it not?
Choosing to attain the weekly Arx limit is a Cmdr's choice, as is buying a paint job with real-world currency. Doing the former might save you some of the latter (that was not an option before this update).

Enjoy the black Cmdrs.
It's really easy to hit the cap, you don't need a whole week, 3 days if you play it moderately. If frontier think they can bore me to submission waiting for the weekly reset to make me put money into the game by making me invest 3 months worth of gameplay to buy one thing for one ship, they are dead wrong. If anything I'm even more inclined not to waste anymore money with ED. They are not going to get away with scummy monetization practices, ship customizations should have been a staple in the game from the start and only now they are making it more accessible. And let's get real here, the paintjobs for most of the ships are ridiculously bad, uninspired and such a low effort job. Nowadays they just copy and paste the same pattern to other ships and expect me to waste several weeks of my like to buy them separetly. Stop being so nice to them and start pressuring to improve the game. Do you honestly think that in 6 years of the game existence we are in a good state? Don't you think the game is underdeveloped? Almost like it has gigantic potencial that is being wasted? Fine if they want focus on microtransactions and nickle and dime it's player, then I'll be dam sure not to let them get away with it. If they want my money then I want to see massive improvements and faster developments and so should you. Nothing is going to improve if you white knight for them, they only care about profit, frontier is a company let's not forget, so changes are only coming if we, the community, force them to do it.

Nothing is going to improve if you white knight for them, they only care about profit, frontier is a company let's not forget, so changes are only coming if we, the community, force them to do it.
Pregnancy takes nine months, unlocking a ship kit takes one month less. Gaining arghs at this rate is nothing but a clever way to pull in more whales. It's not nice of them, or anything. FD isn't a person. It's a company you payed 2x full price to have fun. Don't thank them for utterly messing up.

All else is moot, when you have coffee.
Time for nice Cuban cigar, a hot cup of coffee, while watching the soft rain fall across the small botanical garden.

Whatever happened to the 'Beta Test Servers' that they rolled out 2 years ago, just before the 'Horizons' update - they caught (AND FIXED) 70% more bugs that were not discovered during 'dev testing'!

Fetch back betas, so we can real life test the next update - then we can report any 'fluff ups' (use your own expletive), before it goes live and we end up with this mess we are in now!!

In my days of system testing, your test environment was an exact mirror of your live/production one.

Bugs still crept in mind you, normally if version control went a bit awry, but the bulk of stuff got caught before being pushed live.
At our work the test environment may not be an exact copy, given it has the intended changes, but pre-prod is (until updated).

One observation on FDev is that over the years they have had numerous instances of fixed bugs popping up again, while it's a guess, it feels very much like their source control practices are poor, and sometimes someone has done a bad merge / cocked up a build, and there's no regression testing to catch things.
The external observation of their devops practices seems poor.

One of the mods I think said recently something like "they only work 7 hours in the UK", which is true, but if we'd screwed up a live release you can be damn sure people would be pulling overtime until its fixed.
Or if serious enough, it'd be a rollback: and IME the recent update (given the impact on the majority of live users) would have been pulled until the bugs were fixed, and then pushed out again. We'd never get away with "it can wait over the weekend until Monday", but then our firm is commercial and not a game dev, so <shrug> yay for more relaxed business practices I guess :/

Anyway, lets see if the latest 500MB patch fixes things.

At our work the test environment may not be an exact copy, given it has the intended changes, but pre-prod is (until updated).

One observation on FDev is that over the years they have had numerous instances of fixed bugs popping up again, while it's a guess, it feels very much like their source control practices are poor, and sometimes someone has done a bad merge / cocked up a build, and there's no regression testing to catch things.
The external observation of their devops practices seems poor.

One of the mods I think said recently something like "they only work 7 hours in the UK", which is true, but if we'd screwed up a live release you can be damn sure people would be pulling overtime until its fixed.
Or if serious enough, it'd be a rollback: and IME the recent update (given the impact on the majority of live users) would have been pulled until the bugs were fixed, and then pushed out again. We'd never get away with "it can wait over the weekend until Monday", but then our firm is commercial and not a game dev, so <shrug> yay for more relaxed business practices I guess :/

Anyway, lets see if the latest 500MB patch fixes things.
I think you've pretty much nailed it, and also very accurately described the gap between games devs and devs working in commercial markets.

I'm retired now, but I used to work in FinTech. Guess what: screw-ups ain't tolerated over there. So we use professional DevOps practices.

It only took 1.5 hours but it's downloaded. :D
I'm curious if you don't mind; What part of earth are you and what type of connection are you subject to? Me, Rocky Mountains, wired internet and it was about 5 or 6 minutes. Yeah off topic but there was the opening to ask.

Would rolling back this release be the lesser of 2 evils? The number of problems seems diverse and extensive, some affecting in-game economy by giving free money effectively...

I'm curious if you don't mind; What part of earth are you and what type of connection are you subject to? Me, Rocky Mountains, wired internet and it was about 5 or 6 minutes. Yeah off topic but there was the opening to ask.
No landline but tethered to a mobile. 4G connection and at one point was downloading at 17Gbps but then everything went sloooooooow.

The perils of using an EE connection in the NE of England. :mad:

Well then, I learned some more English today. Rude isn't rude when it comes to health ? I'm curious about the history that led to that expression.
I'm fascinated to learn that nobody knows. Even the Oxford English Dictionary just gives the meaning (robust and sturdy) and not the etymology. It seems that this sense is strictly limited to "in rude health"; it isn't used anywhere else.

There's three possibilities. Rude originally meant crude and lacking refinement. You can still have a rude hut for example and, in that case, it certainly wouldn't be robust and sturdy. It would simply be crudely built. In this sense it was associated with peasants, who may be assumed to be robust and sturdy, but that seems a bit of a stretch.

The other options are more uncertain though. It may be derived from ruddy, as in ruddy faced, but there's no evidence for that and the two words have different roots; rude is from latin, ruddy from Old English. Another possibility is roid, which is an obsolete Middle English and Scots dialect adjective meaning stout, strong; violent, rough, but that means that the two words must have been confused at some point.

No landline but tethered to a mobile. 4G connection and at one point was downloading at 17Gbps but then everything went sloooooooow.

The perils of using an EE connection in the NE of England. :mad:
I have heard a lot of complaining about connection speed and cost in UK. Guess I am just lucky here.

Edit; Beautiful country BTW, hope to get back before too long.

Last edited:
I have heard a lot of complaining about connection speed and cost in UK. Guess I am just lucky here.

Edit; Beautiful country BTW, hope to get back before too long.
It's generally cheaper than the USA, at least if you use a landline. My mobile is limited to 5GB/month, (because I'm cheap) so I'm glad I didn't have to use that.
I hardly noticed the download here, it was about 30 seconds, but I'm on superfast broadband. I pay £50pm for phone and broadband, which is maybe twice as much as the cheapest option, but I get superb customer service.

Top Bottom