ANNOUNCEMENT September Update out now!

What happened to the Tactical Ice/Graphite? skins I don't see them anywhere in the store for any ships.
Skins are definitely appearing and disappearing. I wouldn't worry too much about it for the moment. Yesterday the SRV had a full set from basic to the big shiny ones. Today there was nothing available. Nor for the Python, Krait, Type-7, Cobra, Imperial Fighter.

I do wish Frontier would have public beta tests of ALL patches that involve changes to the game client, would have certainly helped mitigate most (if not all) of the "known issues" plaguing the current patch (especially those that have rendered the game totally unplayable for a lot of players).
It is extremely obviuos that "internal testing" does not, or is unable to, find large errors.

I'm not saying it won't have a negative impact, but it's possible that the money isn't there to spend when balanced against other items that are deemed more lucrative. This is just speculation on my part though. I think the lion's share of allocation for ED has been funnelled into late 2020, and that the interim efforts are part prep for the paid expansion, and part campaign to demonstrate to players that the game is still a priority for the company.
You may be right. The game is not dead. But by late 2020 many of it's players will be... :(

I've had a look through the FAQ's at the start of this thread but can't see a definite answer.
In the past I've looked through the store online here: https://dlc.elitedangerous.com/products/ then bought items, sometimes for ships I'm yet to own - the link is now not working.

I understand that you can buy stuff in-game but will this link be working again? - apparently there are a whole bunch of new paintjobs (even for the cobra MK IV) so is there a place outside the game that these can be seen?

I've had a look through the FAQ's at the start of this thread but can't see a definite answer.
In the past I've looked through the store online here: https://dlc.elitedangerous.com/products/ then bought items, sometimes for ships I'm yet to own - the link is now not working.

I understand that you can buy stuff in-game but will this link be working again? - apparently there are a whole bunch of new paintjobs (even for the cobra MK IV) so is there a place outside the game that these can be seen?
NO, i believe everything is now to be purchased from within the game.
First you have to purchase or earn "ARX", then use that to buy from the store.

New Virtual Currency: ARX
  • ARX can be purchased, as well as earned by simply playing the game, to acquire Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!
  • Commanders can earn a total of 400 ARX per week, which get added to their account there and then. These can be saved for later or spent right away!
  • You will no longer be able to purchase Game Extras using current payment methods and instead will require ARX, available in a number of packs (listed here.)
  • You can view the ARX FAQ here.
The 400 cap weekly is rubbish, the price of rubbish paintjobs that are basic as gently caress and are only a collor change are not worth a week's worth of my time. For it to be worth the whole pack should be sold to the pirce of the individual skins. It's already outrageous to have to wait a week to be able to bye a single basic paintjob for ONE gently caressING SHIP! Ridiculous, I already gently caressing paid for the game and while in return all the money that's being made with microtransactions have no return to the game, anything takes years to be implemented in the game, making the game stale, boring, meaningless, devoid of anything engaging to do. UP YOUR STANDARDS AND FIX YOUR GAME FRONTIER, AND STOP TRYING TO MILK THE LAST DIME OUT OF US!!!

The 400 cap weekly is rubbish, the price of rubbish paintjobs that are basic as gently caress and are only a collor change are not worth a week's worth of my time. For it to be worth the whole pack should be sold to the pirce of the individual skins. It's already outrageous to have to wait a week to be able to bye a single basic paintjob for ONE gently caressING SHIP! Ridiculous, I already gently caressing paid for the game and while in return all the money that's being made with microtransactions have no return to the game, anything takes years to be implemented in the game, making the game stale, boring, meaningless, devoid of anything engaging to do. UP YOUR STANDARDS AND FIX YOUR GAME FRONTIER, AND STOP TRYING TO MILK THE LAST DIME OUT OF US!!!
Harness that anger Cmdr, then kill some Thargoids with it 👽;)

Being given 400 Arx for doing exactly the same things you did before the Sept update is something to thank Frontier for is it not?
Choosing to attain the weekly Arx limit is a Cmdr's choice, as is buying a paint job with real-world currency. Doing the former might save you some of the latter (that was not an option before this update).

Enjoy the black Cmdrs.

I already have over 400 arx in just a couple of days of doing whatever I would normally do anyway ... should I spend them before my surplus is taken away from me :O

Last edited:
Is all the cold medication getting to me or did a bunch of the COVAS voices disappear with the September update, including the one I was actually using?
Okay, this is even weirder. Both of my ships were using the Victor COVAS. The one I had active when the update hit has been defaulted back to one of the two free COVAS options, and Victor is no longer even an option to buy in the store. However, I just switched to the ship that I had in storage at the time, and it's still using Victor.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I really get frustrated with people who always assume that because there is a bug in the game that QA didn't spot it. As a software tester myself I can tell you that they more than likely did.

I think the best thing about this update for me is "Fixed an issue where the SRVs weapon were firing slightly offset when used from the driver's seat". It's so nice when collecting materials now that I don't have to go into Turret view every single time I want to shoot one of the materials. Thanks for finally fixing this!

I really get frustrated with people who always assume that because there is a bug in the game that QA didn't spot it. As a software tester myself I can tell you that they more than likely did.
And Frontier left in bugs that break the game? Can't engineer, can't mine?
I'm all for assuming the best in people, but if QA did notice these then whoever decided they didn't matter is completely incompetent.
Sure, there's going to be hundreds of bugs in every release that don't get fixed for one reason or another, the offset SRV shooting is probably one of them, but these two are not.

I think the best thing about this update for me is "Fixed an issue where the SRVs weapon were firing slightly offset when used from the driver's seat". It's so nice when collecting materials now that I don't have to go into Turret view every single time I want to shoot one of the materials. Thanks for finally fixing this!
ok, some bugs can really be difficult to consider on the test, this is understandable. however, those bugs that arose after installing the September update are so obvious and serious that if they had conducted internal testing they would have found them 100% but since all this surfaced on the release, it means there wasn’t even any internal test. in fact, now all the players have become beta testers, and this would not have caused such a wave of anger and indignation if the "beta" icon now hung on this patch.

as for me personally, I was convinced that fdev cannot but screw up. they like to mess and do it with enviable regularity, because I am looking forward to the December update with interest, I want to find out exactly how they screw it up there.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Do you think they do internal testing on the live server?

Remember when we do betas that Exploration data isn't brought over because it is stored on a separate server. Lots of things are stored in lots of different places and something can not be an issue when testing, but then when you hook it into the live servers something you couldn't have noticed springs up.

I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, or suggest a better way of doing it. I just don't like QA always getting the blame when something goes wrong ;)

...something you couldn't have noticed springs up...
Couldn't have noticed? Really? If they knew and brought this live they should be fired. In my line of work I would have been. On the other hand, I am "giving the benifit of the doubt" and ascribing it to no type of meaningful testing.

In my days of system testing, your test environment was an exact mirror of your live/production one.

Bugs still crept in mind you, normally if version control went a bit awry, but the bulk of stuff got caught before being pushed live.

Just an observation...

In my days of system testing, your test environment was an exact mirror of your live/production one.

Bugs still crept in mind you, normally if version control went a bit awry, but the bulk of stuff got caught before being pushed live.

Just an observation...
Yeah, I don't sweat the little stuff that will of course pop up.

Ozric, they had to dumpster dive for the remains of this steaming pile.

Do you think they do internal testing on the live server?

Remember when we do betas that Exploration data isn't brought over because it is stored on a separate server. Lots of things are stored in lots of different places and something can not be an issue when testing, but then when you hook it into the live servers something you couldn't have noticed springs up.

I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, or suggest a better way of doing it. I just don't like QA always getting the blame when something goes wrong ;)
That's different from what you said last time.

Every QA team I've met do a great job and I expect that the FDev team are the same, given enough time and resources. The fact remains that they didn't find these bugs. I don't know why that is; I have no idea what their processes are but, as a developer, the first thing to ask when you find a new bug is "how can I make sure this never happens again?" QA must be the same. If a bug slips through the net, especially one as damaging as these, Frontier need to look at their processes and decide what went wrong and how to fix it. Just like in airplane maintenance, ego has no place in software development. Nobody should point fingers but everyone should recognise when something has gone wrong.

If Frontier had a beta test then either these would have been spotted or not. If they included the upgrade process in the test, then they absolutely would have been spotted. They just need to copy the existing database over and start from there.

If they had had a beta test and this had still gone wrong, then they would have community members batting for them, saying that these problems definitely didn't crop up in the beta test and this must be a problem with the upgrade.

Top Bottom