Notice September Update - Known Issues

I'm probably less effected by these bugs than some, but I don't have much motivation to play knowing that the current game IS buggy and broken and held together with server-hacking ducktape. Speaking of, I'm beginning to understand Frontier's obsession for ducktape in cockpits, LOL.

If there's a new patch coming out this week, I'd rather just wait for it than play Russian Roulette with the current patch.
Oh I agree.
If there's a new patch coming this week I won't fire up the game untill others have "beta" tested it and reported their findings on the forums.
I for one don't want to be Fdev's tester, they should do that themselfs.

Actually that is only a symptom of a much greater malady consuming software development - omnipresent buzzwords and catchphrases like "our development methodology QA's itself" replacing quality code and quality assurance. The real reason is as always, cutting costs and maximizing profit.

Oh I agree.
If there's a new patch coming this week I won't fire up the game untill others have "beta" tested it and reported their findings on the forums.
I can understand this position very well. But it seems I'm a bit more lucky than others when it comes to a 'bug-slalom' gaming style. I certainly will dare this update, as always. Can't end up more catastrophic than my latest port opening attempts (something went utterly wrong and I think it wasn't just a funny coincidence that my e-mail konto was hacked while I was doing my 'router-fiddling').

Is there any official word or statement from FDEV as to why this code was so buggy, and this update was released so broken?

It's getting ridiculous now 3 weeks into an "Update" that this many bugs still persist.

Is there any official word or statement from FDEV as to why this code was so buggy, and this update was released so broken?

It's getting ridiculous now 3 weeks into an "Update" that this many bugs still persist.
That would be indeed very interesting to learn how and why parts of the code can break that aren't in any way involved in the (very few) new functions. I think before this question isn't adequately answered, it will be not easy to keep some trust for the really big update in 2020.

Tell us! Give me hope...

Tell us! Give me hope...
Lemme try, an underfunded and understaffed team was ordered in no uncertain terms to improve the products revenue stream above all other priorities (ARX store) in order to make the project (game) financially viable for future development, requiring deep modifications to long-standing legacy code on a completely unrealistic schedule.
Rest assured, the PR, CM and marketing staff would be fired on the spot putting out a statement like that.

Lemme try, an underfunded and understaffed team was ordered in no uncertain terms to improve the products revenue stream above all other priorities (ARX store) in order to make the project (game) financially viable for future development, requiring deep modifications to long-standing legacy code on a completely unrealistic schedule.
Rest assured, the PR, CM and marketing staff would be fired on the spot putting out a statement like that.
..AHA! someone who knows what he's talking about!

yea, but being underfunded and understaffed was something all involved and players themselves, knew about from the first few months of the initial release. An MMO type game with no subscription that intends to go on for over a decade but requires constant manual maintenance of the servers and bgs, manual content for the semi-plot, manual content for galnet stories that dont involve summarizing database stats, and core design decisions that require manual manipulation of the system to change the location of anything with a landing pad etc.

The game needs to basically run itself with players creating the content for a game to be sustainable without a subscription. None of that was designed into the game framework. In fact, they've gone out of their way to make it so that player actions are basically meaningless within the game, with players being able to ignore anything and everything they want to with no change to their own gameplay. That lack of impact wouldn't be as big of a problem if players even had the option to create their own content, but they dont. Not within the game and not outside of their own imagination.

So it's not a surprise and shouldn't be to anyone that quality is going to suffer in the game. It has suffered for a long time and will continue to since it was readily apparent that for the money being brought in, the level of output capable by the team was what you were getting in year one (when income was highest).. I mean, we're still waiting on power play collapse. Something that is absolutely integral to one of their first major updates to the game. So ...yea.. buckle up if you're bothered by beta testing releases and new to the game. All of us who have been in from the start already have CTE

I can understand this position very well. But it seems I'm a bit more lucky than others when it comes to a 'bug-slalom' gaming style. I certainly will dare this update, as always. Can't end up more catastrophic than my latest port opening attempts (something went utterly wrong and I think it wasn't just a funny coincidence that my e-mail konto was hacked while I was doing my 'router-fiddling').
I will read the first reactions first, mostly I'm not able to run the game right after release anyway.
Then it depends what's being fixed and if it's worth to even start the game.
If the screen tearing isn't among the fixes then I won't even bother and wait yet another week if not longer.

I will read the first reactions first, mostly I'm not able to run the game right after release anyway.
Then it depends what's being fixed and if it's worth to even start the game.
If the screen tearing isn't among the fixes then I won't even bother and wait yet another week if not longer.
Good luck then. Is this screen tearing issue a console thing or has it to do with VR?

screen tearing happens on any setup that doesn't use vsync (adaptive or fixed) or (real) triple buffering. That's because the monitor refresh can occur in the middle of a framebuffer update when those things aren't in effect.

For consoles, it's something that the settings should be setup to eliminate by default. For PC, it's really up to the user. So for this to be a bug, it would mean the user wanted vsync or triple buffering and their graphics drivers are setup to either allow it or force it, but the game is not honoring or living up to those settings correctly.

Most of the time though, it's due to the user setting their graphics drivers settings to override the application and disable vsync, as well as not triple buffer because they want the highest framerates they can achieve and the impact of such a setting is just being more visible in elite than whatever game they had made the changes for. But frame tearing with vsync disbabled and/or triple buffering disabled is not a bug. It's just a side effect of how things work.

Good luck then. Is this screen tearing issue a console thing or has it to do with VR?
I don't even know if the Ps4 suffers from this but after the September update we on the Xbox One and One X have horrible screen tearing, frame drops and draw distance problems, at times we only see half the asteroid field when entering a planetary ring.
Before the update ED ran rather smooth actually.

I don't know if this is a known issue but i just noticed tonight that the Guardian codex doesn't respond when i try to play the audio, everything else works in the codex. Anyone else have this problem?

Not sure if this has already been mentioned or is a known bug, but when checking discoveries in the codex, the 'Reported On' and 'Confirmed On' are showing the wrong dates. It shows the year 2135 instead of 3304 and 2136 instead of 3305.

yea, but being underfunded and understaffed was something all involved and players themselves, knew about from the first few months of the initial release. An MMO type game with no subscription that intends to go on for over a decade but requires constant manual maintenance of the servers and bgs, manual content for the semi-plot, manual content for galnet stories that dont involve summarizing database stats, and core design decisions that require manual manipulation of the system to change the location of anything with a landing pad etc.

The game needs to basically run itself with players creating the content for a game to be sustainable without a subscription. None of that was designed into the game framework. In fact, they've gone out of their way to make it so that player actions are basically meaningless within the game, with players being able to ignore anything and everything they want to with no change to their own gameplay. That lack of impact wouldn't be as big of a problem if players even had the option to create their own content, but they dont. Not within the game and not outside of their own imagination.

So it's not a surprise and shouldn't be to anyone that quality is going to suffer in the game. It has suffered for a long time and will continue to since it was readily apparent that for the money being brought in, the level of output capable by the team was what you were getting in year one (when income was highest).. I mean, we're still waiting on power play collapse. Something that is absolutely integral to one of their first major updates to the game. So ...yea.. buckle up if you're bothered by beta testing releases and new to the game. All of us who have been in from the start already have CTE
It will be more fun if station and starport destruction is permanent. Then we can relocate or rebuild in masses.

I believe this will save the game.

Top Bottom