Road to Colonia and FSD injection

You can do much better than this with a DBX and a low engineering effort.

You can plot 10.000ly legs,selecting Fastest Route,meaning three plots to get there

If this scares you...you're probably playing the wrong game or should not bother with Exploration

Make it quicker Using Neutron to boost your FSD (you have to take an AFMU to heal the damage after a while) or embark on a Taxi (FC)
FSD Injection is meant for other purposes,anyway level 1 adds 25% at your jump range,Level 2 50%,Level 3 100%,meaning the higher your normal jump range is,the bigger improvement with FSD Injection.
Thanks Oytis for your detailed reply!
I don't know how much I can improve FDS range. Ten maybe? I travel with engineered-FSD, often with no shields and some empty modules as well to reduce weight. Sure it can be better but won't be really revolutionary I suppose. Perhaps I am wrong.

About distances: It's not a matter of scare cmdr, but you know I played original Elite many many years ago. I've already done this.
The game was no-frills, basically the pleasure of exploration (none could tell where or what to do).
But I was a kid with loads of time to lose my self in space just doing nothing. (sigh)
Now pleasure is the same. Can't say the same for time. And if I dedicate few hours only to hear "frame shift drive charging" without getting the destination, you know, pretty pointless. Too much is too much (I mean, unless you have loads of time) even though I love what FD have done.

Now pleasure is the same. Can't say the same for time. And if I dedicate few hours only to hear "frame shift drive charging" without getting the destination, you know, pretty pointless. Too much is too much (I mean, unless you have loads of time) even though I love what FD have done.
Long journeys are good for watching something else whilst you're getting on with them.

Sounds like you really need a fast Colonia Express. As I said earlier, if you take a CNC piloted carrier you'll arrive in Colonia about 15 hrs later.
Just hop on board, let's say friday night and have a good night and on saturday afternoon you're there, nearly no time wasted...
And if you don't want to hike the whole distance you might leave at any point and fly the remaining distance on your own.
And I think it might be possible to catch another carrier at one of the stations in the black, who knows. It's all up to you... ;)

If anyone thinks Colonia is a lot of jumps to do, the NPCs go all the way to Sag A in their Adders with only 12 LY jump range. That's about 42 hours of continuous jumping. They must be gutted when they get there to find that nobody has any cargo, so they have to come all the way back again.

Thanks Oytis for your detailed reply!
I don't know how much I can improve FDS range. Ten maybe? I travel with engineered-FSD, often with no shields and some empty modules as well to reduce weight. Sure it can be better but won't be really revolutionary I suppose. Perhaps I am wrong.

About distances: It's not a matter of scare cmdr, but you know I played original Elite many many years ago. I've already done this.
The game was no-frills, basically the pleasure of exploration (none could tell where or what to do).
But I was a kid with loads of time to lose my self in space just doing nothing. (sigh)
Hi mate,what I meant is that even 10 more light years squeezed out in the long run mean a lot,less time traveling less strain,now I have my old DBX,I've gone to the far reaches of the milky way with it in the past,today is not fit for exploration anymore but...even though is fully weaponized,SRV bay,hull reinforcements it still jumps 62 light years,meaning it can go as far as beyond 70 with just a shield an SRV an AFMU and a Fuel scoop so every ten jumps you go 120 or more ight years than before,keep multiplying that for a long trip and look what comes out of it ;) but keep in mind that exploration can be done even not going that far,there are a lot of places nearer than the center wich offers nice things to discover,just my two cents.

I was actually incredibly surprised by how far my 69.X ly jumper was boosted using the neutron highway. Once I got out a little ways I'd supercharge and just picked a random star at it's limits, boosted and then plotted economically to the next neutron. I sold off when I hit Colonia to gain rep with Colonia Council. "I love it when a plan comes together"

Hi mate,what I meant is that even 10 more light years squeezed out in the long run mean a lot,less time traveling less strain,now I have my old DBX,I've gone to the far reaches of the milky way with it in the past,today is not fit for exploration anymore but...even though is fully weaponized,SRV bay,hull reinforcements it still jumps 62 light years,meaning it can go as far as beyond 70 with just a shield an SRV an AFMU and a Fuel scoop so every ten jumps you go 120 or more ight years than before,keep multiplying that for a long trip and look what comes out of it ;) but keep in mind that exploration can be done even not going that far,there are a lot of places nearer than the center wich offers nice things to discover,just my two cents.
I do agree mate I discovered some "exceptional phenomena" and my first planets and diamonds spot... and it was like wow. Perhaps I am just frustrated cuz I can't play more eh eh

I ll try to make my DBX lighter then, eventhough I dont know what to leave it off LOL

Thanks!

I played original Elite many many years ago.
I played FFE and one of the things I actually kind of miss was that modules would undergo normal wear-and-tear just from being in space. I remember getting way out in an Asp my hyperdrive just wouldn't work anymore, because it hadn't been serviced.

When I took my first long trip in a DBX in 3302, it seems like I crashed into a bunch of stars. I'm not sure if I've gotten better of if the game has changed in some way, but I hardly ever crash into them today in my exploration conda. In some ways, I feel like I'm kind of missing out that I don't have to pause now and then to make repairs.

That's one of the reasons I neutron boost whenever possible. The FSD damage is actually welcome, in my opinion.

I'll try to make my DBX lighter
Do you use coriolis.io to plan your builds?

I think that a general plan for any explorer is, you start by stripping it all the way down, then you upgrade and engineer the FSD, then you add a fuel scoop. That's sort of the minimum gear, I would think. And the one thing you really want to engineer to grade 5 plus an experimental effect is that FSD.

There are two range-related experimental effects: deep charge and mass manager. Use coriolis to see which one gives you greater range. It's usually mass manager but in small ships like a hauler, deep charge is better.

Your range at this point should be about 55 ly

Next step, optional exploration gear: a detailed surface scanner and an SRV. You could choose to forego either or both (particularly if you're going to Colonia vs. general exploration).

The surface scanner has no mass, so doesn't affect your range. The SRV comes in four flavors. You can get one with two SRVs or one with a single SRV. These days, if you lose an SRV, it's easy to replace it no matter where you are in the galaxy, so I recommend the single-bay version. Then just make sure you get the lighter one (the G one, not the H one). Your range should be 54.5 ly.

It's worth your time to consider engineering the surface scanner too. Doing so greatly increases the scanning radius of a single probe and makes scanning gas giants less of a pain.

Next step, FSD booster: it'll take you an afternoon to unlock it, and bonus: you can use the trip to the guardian site as a shakedown cruise for your DBX. It'll give you 9 lys of range, bringing you up to 63.6 ly

Next, safety gear: a heat sink and a shield. A shield it's only helpful when you dock, or land on a planet. If you're not paying attention when you land on a planet, an explorer-class shield probably wont save your life anyway. So, being careful is actually better protection than a shield. I actually recommend against it, but if you do get it, you can engineer it to be lighter.

The heat sink is for if you crash into a NS or BH. Possibly also if you jump into a system and land between two large stars (though I haven't had that happen in years so, I think Fdev made a change to prevent it). Otherwise, you don't need it. You can also engineer it to be lighter.

Next, repair gear: AFMU and repair limpets. The repair controller has mass but the AFMU doesn't. Remember to get the lightest controller, and remember to add a cargo rack too. This is optional equipment, but if you do need to use it, the way it works is, you synthesize limpets when you need them, as opposed to buying them.

Finally, lighten up core modules: This basically means D-rating them. I save this step for last because now you can see ho much power you actually need and decide which power plant is the lightest one that meets your needs. Remember that you can turn modules off in flight to use less power.

You can also engineer some of the core modules to make them lighter. It doesn't help much with a DBX, but later when you have an anaconda, engineering the sensors helps a lot. You can also engineer the armor if you like. Lightweight armor doesn't gain any mass when you use the "heavy duty" engineering. So, you can get a few more health points with no extra weight.

A very basic, "I'm going to Colonia and you can't stop me" DBX with minimal engineering has a jump range of 69.63 ly and looks like this: https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondb...AEhMQ0c+AAAA.EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwVyKBQA==

A deluxe build with full engineering that you could leave home with and never have to come back has a range of 68.79 ly (but by the time you unlock all the engineers, you'll be able to afford an anaconda with a range north of 70): https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondb...AAYC4BpQAQAA.EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwVyKBQA==

I played FFE and one of the things I actually kind of miss was that modules would undergo normal wear-and-tear just from being in space. I remember getting way out in an Asp my hyperdrive just wouldn't work anymore, because it hadn't been serviced.

When I took my first long trip in a DBX in 3302, it seems like I crashed into a bunch of stars. I'm not sure if I've gotten better of if the game has changed in some way, but I hardly ever crash into them today in my exploration conda. In some ways, I feel like I'm kind of missing out that I don't have to pause now and then to make repairs.

That's one of the reasons I neutron boost whenever possible. The FSD damage is actually welcome, in my opinion.

Do you use coriolis.io to plan your builds?

I think that a general plan for any explorer is, you start by stripping it all the way down, then you upgrade and engineer the FSD, then you add a fuel scoop. That's sort of the minimum gear, I would think. And the one thing you really want to engineer to grade 5 plus an experimental effect is that FSD.

There are two range-related experimental effects: deep charge and mass manager. Use coriolis to see which one gives you greater range. It's usually mass manager but in small ships like a hauler, deep charge is better.

Your range at this point should be about 55 ly

Next step, optional exploration gear: a detailed surface scanner and an SRV. You could choose to forego either or both (particularly if you're going to Colonia vs. general exploration).

The surface scanner has no mass, so doesn't affect your range. The SRV comes in four flavors. You can get one with two SRVs or one with a single SRV. These days, if you lose an SRV, it's easy to replace it no matter where you are in the galaxy, so I recommend the single-bay version. Then just make sure you get the lighter one (the G one, not the H one). Your range should be 54.5 ly.

It's worth your time to consider engineering the surface scanner too. Doing so greatly increases the scanning radius of a single probe and makes scanning gas giants less of a pain.

Next step, FSD booster: it'll take you an afternoon to unlock it, and bonus: you can use the trip to the guardian site as a shakedown cruise for your DBX. It'll give you 9 lys of range, bringing you up to 63.6 ly

Next, safety gear: a heat sink and a shield. A shield it's only helpful when you dock, or land on a planet. If you're not paying attention when you land on a planet, an explorer-class shield probably wont save your life anyway. So, being careful is actually better protection than a shield. I actually recommend against it, but if you do get it, you can engineer it to be lighter.

The heat sink is for if you crash into a NS or BH. Possibly also if you jump into a system and land between two large stars (though I haven't had that happen in years so, I think Fdev made a change to prevent it). Otherwise, you don't need it. You can also engineer it to be lighter.

Next, repair gear: AFMU and repair limpets. The repair controller has mass but the AFMU doesn't. Remember to get the lightest controller, and remember to add a cargo rack too. This is optional equipment, but if you do need to use it, the way it works is, you synthesize limpets when you need them, as opposed to buying them.

Finally, lighten up core modules: This basically means D-rating them. I save this step for last because now you can see ho much power you actually need and decide which power plant is the lightest one that meets your needs. Remember that you can turn modules off in flight to use less power.

You can also engineer some of the core modules to make them lighter. It doesn't help much with a DBX, but later when you have an anaconda, engineering the sensors helps a lot. You can also engineer the armor if you like. Lightweight armor doesn't gain any mass when you use the "heavy duty" engineering. So, you can get a few more health points with no extra weight.

A very basic, "I'm going to Colonia and you can't stop me" DBX with minimal engineering has a jump range of 69.63 ly and looks like this: https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer?code=A0p3tdFfldd3sdf5-------321P-----2i.AwRjOV2nyA==.Aw18SQ==.H4sIAAAAAAAAA2P+J8XAwPCXFUj8qQAS/Cq//v8X2sHNwCBSI8rAIHEHKPNf7F8sTJGQgDoDg2mHMFD0PwMDAEhMQ0c+AAAA.EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwVyKBQA==

A deluxe build with full engineering that you could leave home with and never have to come back has a range of 68.79 ly (but by the time you unlock all the engineers, you'll be able to afford an anaconda with a range north of 70): https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer?code=A0p8tdFfldd3sdf5----02--321P430iv6019q2i.AwRjOV29Ikg=.Aw18SQ==.H4sIAAAAAAAAA2P4x87AwPCXFUj8mQQkuPcwMTDwNvAwMAhGAFlCO7gZGFS+MDIw/Gf8Zw9SyQhSWQ8kOECi/Dz//v8X28AClGf6JwGXLwMSIhb///8XVWBmYFA2+AFkMv+TgttUAST4VX79/w82X6RGlIFB4g5Q5j/LP0OYIv6KN0D5M/eAWln/WcONbgESnFeAtnLNAcooXgA6X8mBjYFBFSSmBiL+s/1LQDXkwIP///VsvgGleP5xYjFf8J8P3GmFICmQWiGQvMiKv0BPgJwmkfABqFLsXyxMpZCAOgODaYcw0NX/GeAAAAYC4BpQAQAA.EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwVyKBQA==
Hey, that was a kind of priceless guide, thanks for your suggestions and time!

I know coriolis, though I haven't used yet properly.
As far as I can see you reduced a lot your distributor and PP. I didn't think about it, I kept class4 for both. I'll definitely give it try.
FSD is already engineered and I was indeed looking for the guardian boost, that for what I understand is the ultimate touch for the FSD.
However never dealt with guardian stuff and brokers so far, my next step after unlocking last engineers.

I use my FSD for my Krait as well.

Meanwhile I achieved 54-55 LY min. I left home my SRV (Horizons is not working these days LOL) and some extra fuel that I kept with me in order to avoid scooping too often.

I'll go for mass managing as you suggest!

Thank you very much cmdr
o7

I suspect you have to make a jump in your ship while over 5,000ly from home for it to count, rather than just sitting on a Carrier and then never leaving whatever system the Carrier is in.
Update: I've just had the opportunity to test this. Bubble-based alt, never been further than 1,900ly out, now taking a Carrier to Colonia. Just launched from the Carrier near Rohini.

No change to the Codex after entering SC, but the jump in to Rohini updated the counter to more than 7,000ly.

Im on my way back to the bubble from Colonia. Im currently 15k ly away using Neutron star jumping. Which is actually quite good fun and relatively easy. Despite being a CMDR since 2014 this is my first time doing all this. My question is, can I inject my FSD prior to supercharging it from the neutron star to increase my jump range even further? Currently my circa 74ly range is increased to circa 284 ly via Neutron star supercharging.

Im on my way back to the bubble from Colonia. Im currently 15k ly away using Neutron star jumping. Which is actually quite good fun and relatively easy. Despite being a CMDR since 2014 this is my first time doing all this. My question is, can I inject my FSD prior to supercharging it from the neutron star to increase my jump range even further? Currently my circa 74ly range is increased to circa 284 ly via Neutron star supercharging.
No you can't, the 4x Neutron boost is about your base jump range,won't take into account FSD Injection.

Top Bottom