Rebalancing older content. Enabling new players to "catch up" to the veterans.

and here i am sitting on nearly full military alloys and imp shields + a few pharma isolators for good measure, most of wich i'm not gonna use any time soon
Luckily I do have a reasonable amount of man and encoded and do not have a great demand for them out here, but most of them were collected a while ago.

If there was a playstyle that allowed us to cross trade mats either directly or via traders I would welcome it.

When I first started playing I soon found out that collecting mats was something that needed to be done and although most of my early play was as a trader I took the time to collect the man mats, fitted a scanner and scanned any wakes as I left stations etc.

I still automatically collect these when back in civilisation, but nowadays that is not very often.

As for the original topic of this thread, should I count myself as a newbe or an old sweat?

I have still not got around to unlocking 9 Engineers, not bothered to do any Thargoid or Guardian play and am still only competent in combat, although my escape and evasion tactics are pretty good:)

I am happy with my playstyle and not worried about having to do additional tasks if I ever want to unlock any other engineers, I just about manage to keep up with man and encoded mats requirements both via normal collection and mining mission rewards.

It just seems that nowadays some regard it a race to the top:)

That's even though there is no endgame.

From a sort of New Player.

I played in the early days and gave up when Engineers came in, it was far too much of a grind for me. I had worked my way up to about twenty million credits mainly through exploration which bored me to death.

Whilst bored at work yesterday I thought I'd pop into the ED forum for the first time in years and see what was going on. After reading in this thread that the Engineers grind had been reduced and credits were easier to accrue I decided to reinstall the game and have another crack.

The tutorials were certainly an improvement and necessary as I'd completely forgotten how to pilot a ship. Trying to reach my first station I did the loop of shame four or five times as I couldn't remember how to stop the flippin' thing (and didn't notice the big blue HUD command saying "Press J Now"!)

I then headed off to the nearest High RES to get "hosed in credits" as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, and died in about two minutes! My memory of how good I was at combat had somehow morphed from "avoid combat if possible" to "You are a Killing Machine, GRRR". I can't even tell you what killed me as I was in such a panic! By then it was way past my bed time.

However, the experience was enough for me to want to give the game a proper go again. I was never interested in Clippers and Corvettes, I just wanted to earn enough for a decently fit Python in order to bum about the galaxy picking up jobs I fancied.

So back on topic, if I find it a little easier to make a buck and have to grind a lot less for Engineers, I'll be happy and inclined to say no rebalancing is required. Of course that's just my opinion and other new players may want their Clipper at the end of the weekend!

Since my previous post I've played another hour or so, and wow! Just WOW!

After my humiliating performance in the High RES yesterday I took the totally standard Sidewinder that replaced mine back to the High RES sight for another crack. There were a few bad guys but no Cops, so cowardice being the better part of valour I ran away! I did find another High RES in Dromi so I thought I'd check that out.

I "assisted" the Coppers on two Anaconda kills and the HUD told me I'd received a bounty of 112,000 credits for each. I thought "Hmm, 224,000 credits is amazing and definitely good enough for me after yesterday's debacle" so I headed back to cash them in. I received 980,000 plus credits, can't remember the exact amount. It seemed that in both cases my puny little burst lasers had the final shot and I don't know if that makes any difference.

I wasn't a backer but I bought the game as soon as I heard about it (being old enough to have played the original). When I first played it took me weeks to afford a Cobra and I felt a real sense of achievement. Now, after two hours play I can buy three!

So in answer to the OP, in my opinion new players do not need any extra help, rebalancing or anything else. Obviously I have not got to Engineers yet, the thing that made me give up in the first place, so my opinion on that must wait. It does seem that you get "hosed with credits" though.

It's bed time now, but I have the rest of the weekend to rekindle my love for the game. I will not be returning to the High RES sites. I'll probably do a few missions around the starter systems just to refresh the "muscle memory" and then head out into the galaxy, to earn my Python the hard way.

So in answer to the OP, in my opinion new players do not need any extra help, rebalancing or anything else. Obviously I have not got to Engineers yet, the thing that made me give up in the first place, so my opinion on that must wait. It does seem that you get "hosed with credits" though

I did not mention that credits should be buffed in any way. Credit earning has been absurd for a long time now and too far gone to even care about. I'd argue that credit gains are too high, but if Fdev really cared about credit balancing we wouldn't be where we are.

Most of my suggested changes were about the engineering grind and sheer number of different types of materials and timesinks. If you did give up because of engineering before, I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the stuff I'd actually proposed changing instead.

I did not mention that credits should be buffed in any way. Credit earning has been absurd for a long time now and too far gone to even care about. I'd argue that credit gains are too high, but if Fdev really cared about credit balancing we wouldn't be where we are.

Most of my suggested changes were about the engineering grind and sheer number of different types of materials and timesinks. If you did give up because of engineering before, I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the stuff I'd actually proposed changing instead.
Ah, my misunderstanding. I'll certainly let you know when I get to engineering.

Top Bottom