Raxxla?

But has FD ever actually claimed that Raxxla was in the game, or is it all just player rumors?
Short version?
Kinda.
Pretty much this.

Both David Braben and Michael Brookes have stated it is in the game and they know where it is.
I also don't think it's a planet, but an outpost or ruins or structure of some kind on a planet.
If it IS in-game, it was put there before Horizons so it would actually make sense for it to be an outpost/base in orbit somewhere since we wouldn't have been able to land there and receive all the glory of saying "HI" to all the people there. Of course, if it was an ELW, we'd be able to arrive at it but just not land there for all the obvious reasons. In any event, based on the post regarding people that have gone "code-diving" already, I'm not going to go search for it unless something comes along with a HUGE clue that actually peaks my interest.

And just noticed how impossible this place is to find, I got post #42.

The Wiki says:
Frontier Developments have historically refused to explicitly confirm or deny the existence of Raxxla, a possible location, or anything else about it.[5]
  • In September 2015, Drew Wagar - one of the official writers for Elite Dangerous - stated "I spoke to David Braben directly in 2014 and he confirmed to me that 'It’s out there and we (FD) know where it is.' – So it does exist."[6] Michael Brookes said “There will be no clues.”[7]
  • In March 2019, Drew Wagar reaffirmed that he had been told by Michael Brooks in no uncertain terms that Raxxla is indeed in the game, and that the developers know exactly where it is.[8]
  • Raxxla is in the Milky Way. This was confirmed during DJTruthsayer's lore interview with Michael Brookes.[9] Question: "Where is Raxxla?" Brookes: "Well it's in the Milky Way, but I can't tell you where it is. It's a journey that everyone has to travel for themselves." Question: "You have said that there will be no clues though?" Brookes: "That's true, but I think you have to make some of it a tiny bit obvious just so people know what they're doing. There's nothing to be revealed at this stage."[9]

the mystery is worth far more than what you'll find. At best, it's something you can see but not make use of. At worst, it's a placeholder with no content made for it (similar to megaships being anaconda's at first) or a debris field.

Regardless, given the amount of effort in finding it, it has no hope of ever paying off for players. It's not like you'd get a special ship or anything to make you special. The game is all about making sure nobody is special.

Well since it is neither confirmed nor denied, I think it is safe to assume it is behind a permit lock if I were a betting man.

Still, I heard of the new player-led initiative to find it and I will be paying attention. More for the lore aspect for me, but still fun.

the player initiative is just a carrier led quest ....there's been player initiatives trying to find it since the beginning. There's one thing you can be fairly safe on, and that's nowhere where a carrier would be needed to reach , would be a place where raxxla is since players didn't have carriers before this month.

And if you want to get even a little bit lore-correct, it would have to be some place reachable by a cobra and not very far if outside of the bubble at all. Though, given how much fdev has retconned elite lore with the game, ...that's not entirely reliable. But being able to be found by players in the game prior to horizons is a fairly strong certainty.

And if you want to get even a little bit lore-correct, it would have to be some place reachable by a cobra and not very far if outside of the bubble at all. Though, given how much fdev has retconned elite lore with the game, ...that's not entirely reliable. But being able to be found by players in the game prior to horizons is a fairly strong certainty.
I agree that it would be reachable by a cobra, but fuel scoops have been around since launch. Would it be safe to assume that it may not necessarily be near the bubble? I haven't looked, but I assume a stock Cobra with a scoop could manage to get pretty far.

I agree that it would be reachable by a cobra, but fuel scoops have been around since launch. Would it be safe to assume that it may not necessarily be near the bubble? I haven't looked, but I assume a stock Cobra with a scoop could manage to get pretty far.

Given jump distances that were cannon and how infrequent and dangerous exploring far away was, along with the ability for a cobra to sustain a person food/water wise rather than just the fuel that we care about in the game... it seems highly unlikely to nearly impossible that it was discovered far away from the bubble at the time it was discovered. The idea that you could just cross the galaxy just wasn't possible.

Though, there's no guarantee that fdev will keep any of the information about it's discovery or when it was discovered as cannon for the game. The only thing documented is the first time it was mentioned...in kickstarter timelines of lore history I believe.

The 'honked but not scanned' thing is an urban myth.
You're free to believe it is a myth if you want, but not only do I think it was said at Lavecon, I think I was at the Lavecon when it was said ... but my memory is terrible and I can't remember everything that was said at the four Lavecons I have been at.
So I did some asking around, because I was sure it was said at Lavecon, but couldn't remember for certain, so I asked someone (I should say at this point, I'm being careful what I type here, because I haven't actually asked this person if I can name or quote them ... I will ask, and if they are ok with it, I'll edit this post.)

So here's what I have found out ....
The rumour "a commander went through the system Raxxla is in, honked and left" was said at Lavecon in 2017 ... I was at that Lavecon, which is why I was sure it had been said and wasn't a rumour.

Also, it was said by a Frontier employee who wasn't on the Frontier panel ... so I'd say that means it's Michael Brookes.
TL: DR ... Lavecon 2017, Michael Brookes .... and it wasn't recorded. and it's not an urban myth, it did happen.
BUT ... you believe what you want, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong.

EDIT: So if you want to tell people it's not a rumour it did happen, I am happy for you to say "Alien says so" or words to that effect. Anyone contacting me to confirm it will just have me insist it's true.

Last edited:
That's exactly what SOE did with Star Wars Galaxies. They claimed there was a secret way to become a Jedi and people spent so much time trying to figure it out, and then it eventually came out that there was no way to become a Jedi and it was all a lie. Then they tacked on a Jedi class that required becoming a master in all professions, then they took away most of the professions, it was a %#$-show.

But has FD ever actually claimed that Raxxla was in the game, or is it all just player rumors?
Pretty sure that's not how that went down.

There was a secret way to become a jedi and it always involved random proffessions that varied from character to character. As well as a bunch of other random stuff like winning a certain amount of Duels or going to a specific location.

Then the NGE hot and that removed proffessions and replaced them with a class system as SOE tried to copy WoW.

We have two pieces of evidence ...
1. Both David Braben and Michael Brookes have stated it is in the game and they know where it is.
2. Michael or Sandro have stated that a player has been in the system where Raxxla is, honked (this was before the current scanning method) and moved on. It must be stressed, that this piece of evidence cannot seem to be verified.

My theory is based on 2. ... I think when that commander went through the system, Frontier suddenly realised people could find Raxxla accidentally before Frontier were ready for players to find it, and then locked the system (permit locked it). I know a system was permit locked after a commander went through, but I can't find which system that was (and I have asked the community).

I also don't think it's a planet, but an outpost or ruins or structure of some kind on a planet.
I don't believe its in the game. People will have data mined it by now. I think its something that will be in game one day when frontier have the time to do it justice (and have another paid expansion to unlock it), but to say its been here since the alpha and beta days is a bit disingenuous by the developers imo. The game was bare bones back then so unless its just a name of a simple bit of content somewhere, I don't think it exists yet.

I don't believe its in the game. People will have data mined it by now. I think its something that will be in game one day when frontier have the time to do it justice (and have another paid expansion to unlock it), but to say its been here since the alpha and beta days is a bit disingenuous by the developers imo. The game was bare bones back then so unless its just a name of a simple bit of content somewhere, I don't think it exists yet.
If it was locked behind inside a permit locked area but was still tehnically possible to reach with appropriate technology that was in the game and available to all at the time,the gnosis fits that profile.I'm not saying it's deffo there, but the introduction of an possibly unique distraction to cause the attempt to fail wuld suggest another attempt might be worthwhile,which with the advent of FC now becomes independantly feasible.

Raxxla could be "in the game" without being discoverable by data mining. Every time you jump, you connect to Frontier's servers and upload your location, they always know where you are. So they could perform the "is he at Raxxla?" test at the server end, without any location being hardwired into the client.

If they wanted to be especially devious, there could be many possible locations for Raxxla, with the actual location for each CMDR being procedurally generated from the CMDR's name (or account ID), so that even if one person finds it, anyone else going to that system finds nothing.

And again...

Yello sun
PS4 account
Cmdr name olaide.philipe
Ship diamondback explorer
+- 1000 ly from the bleu princess
Because ruching back for the prismatics shields.
24 to go from that system.

I have seen something whit raxxla on my system panel.
Was a noob did not know a dem about the raxxla lore.

Carry on...

If they wanted to be especially devious, there could be many possible locations for Raxxla, with the actual location for each CMDR being procedurally generated from the CMDR's name (or account ID), so that even if one person finds it, anyone else going to that system finds nothing.
Yikes. That would mean we are all Raxxla. And if each player has to "find" it, how many stars are in the COL 70 Sector again??? :eek:

I know where Raxxla is.
Never thought this would be such a 'Thing' after reading Drew's book.
Gonna keep looking though!
Give FDev props... they are keeping mum.
You know how hard it is to keep mysteries mysterious in this day and age.
Up until now, I thought it was just a fad or a joke. But after 5 years or more, it's still going strong!

Top Bottom